That Time of Year

Red Riding Hood

 

The sun is setting as I watch Jae and Eun Kyu play along the lake. They were playing catch. They seem to have the time of their life. It is starting to get dark, I call out Jae. “Jae, let’s go home! Jae!” Jae is too busy playing catch with Eun Kyu. Eun Kyu threw the ball but it come over my direction. I pick it up call out to Jae again. “Let’s go, Jae!” Having the ball in my hand, I began to throw it up the air and then catching it. Both Jae and Eun Kyu are very focused on the ball. It is as if they both are hypnotized by the ball. I threw the ball to the back of me towards the woods and both Jae and Eun Kyu run for it. As them two runs for it, I find it strange that Eun Kyu did not run like human but like a dog with the hands out front. Hmm, probably he is doing that to make Jae thinks that he too is a dog. They both came back with the ball.

“Are you two having fun?” I ask. They both smile at me.

I turn to Eun Kyu, “Jae and I better get going.”

“Okay. I’ll walk you two back to your Grandma’s place.” Eun Kyu offer.

“It’s fine. My Grandma doesn’t live that far from here.” I said.

“It’s not safe to walk at night.” He said.

I laugh, “It’s not like there is a big bad wolf like the Little Red Riding Hood story.”

“You don’t know that.” His voice sounds like it’s telling me something that I should be aware of.

“Okay. Since you really want to walk Jae and I home, you can.”

Eun Kyu walks us home. By the time we got to Grandma’s it is already dark out. We said our good byes.

As Jae and I enter Grandma’s door way, I smell some yummy bulgogi. My nose drags me straight into the kitchen.

“Grandma that smells good. What’s for dinner?” I ask.

“Where did you go?” ask Grandma without answering mine.

“I went looking for Jae. He got out of his leash. And so I-”

“You should be careful… especially at night. It is not safe.” Grandma said cutting me off.

I’m curious to why Grandma suddenly act like this, but I keep still. “Yes.” She’s probably having a hard time, especially this time of the year.

“Go wash yourself up and come down for dinner.” said Grandma.

“Yes.” That’s all I can say. I went upstairs and wash up. After I washed up, I looked at the purple flower on my window and it still hasn’t rot yet. “Sung Tae-ah, hurry up and come eat!” Grandma shouted.

“I’m coming!” I yelled back coming downstairs. I grab Jae’s bowl and pour in some dog food into the bowl. Then I washed my hands and sat down in a chair next to the table. “I’ll eat well~” I said as I grab the chopsticks and start eating.

“Is it good?” Grandma asks.

“Mmm~ It’s delicious.” I said happily.

We both laugh and continue eating dinner. We finish eating dinner and I volunteered on doing the dishes. After that, I went into the room. I got ready for bed. I put Jae on the bed and pull the covers over me. I drifted off to sleep.

The Next Day

Jae was barking again when I woke up. I got ready and got Jae’s leash. I went downstairs. “Grandma I’m going to take a walk with Jae,” I said.

“Don’t come home late.”

“Don’t worry I won’t.” I left out the door.

Jae is acting up again. He is pulling me to go in the forest. As I try to calm Jae, I saw a black figure from the corner of my left eyes. Jae is barking angrily. I look up but the black figure disappears. Jae stops barking and stay calm. “Are you okay, boy?” Jae just stands still. “Let’s go!” We began to jog into the forest.

The morning breeze feels good, especially in the forests. Birds chirps cheerfully. I sigh. Now, this is peace.

We are nearby the lake because I can hear the waterfall. Jae began to run faster. When we reach the lake, I saw Eun Kyu. He is lying down on the grass. Jae got out of his leash and ran towards Eun Kyu. Jae jumps on Eun Kyu and starts to him. Eun Kyu was surprise by Jae but he seems to enjoy Jae’s company. “Jae!” I call out to him. Jae is too happy to see Eun Kyu that he doesn’t seem to hear me. I walk towards them two.

“Do you like him that much, Jae?” I frown at Jae and he barks. “So, you don’t like me?” Jae barks twice.

“He said that he loves you.” said Eun Kyu

“Oh. You know how to speak dog now?” I ask Eun Kyu.

He laughs. “It’s obvious. I mean who wouldn’t love their own owner?”

I didn’t answer Eun Kyu’s question.

“Jae, I guess your owner is sad now. Tell her that you love her.” Eun Kyu put Jae down and Jae walks over to me and sniffs my hand and cry to me.

I pick Jae up. “Ah, look at you. You love me.” I gave him a hug. Jae tries to get out of my arms.

Eun Kyu laughs. I release Jae and look at Eun Kyu.

“How did you do that?” I ask curiously.

“Do what?” Eun Kyu replied innocently.

“I don’t know? It’s like you can communicate with Jae.”

He laughs again. “I’m a dog lover.”

That makes sense, I thought. Then something struck me. Every time I come to the lake, I always see Eun Kyu. Not once do I not see him here, but every time Jae and I come here, he’s here. I am lost in my thoughts.

“What’s wrong?” ask Eun Kyu.

“Do you come to the lake often?” I ask curiously.

“Yeah. It’s where I can come find peace.” He answer, “This lake may look ordinary, but it brings peace in one’s mind. If you just sit back and relax, you can feel at ease.” He lay on his back against the grass and closes his eyes. I just sat there and stare at him. He has such a beautiful, flawless, handsome face. The more you look at his face the more he looks like a baby. I began to drawn myself into this man. Something about him tells makes me want to be with him.

“You should stop staring at me now.” He said a few moments later with his eyes still close.

I quickly clear my throat and look at the lake, “I-I’m not staring.”

He laughs and sat right up again. “That’s not what your face is telling me.”

“What?” I can’t believe this guy. “Hey! Do you want me to turn you ugly?” I said angrily.

Eun Kyu’s face comes so close that the bridge of our nose touches. My heart starts beating fast but at the same time it stops beating. I took a gulp down. My eyes are so wide, it is going to explode. We look at each other straight in the eye. It is as if time stops moving and the moment was ours. He then pulls away and laughs at me. Reality hits. What just happened, I wonder. Then I look and saw Eun Kyu laughing.

“Hey!” I slap him on the arm but it doesn’t seem to hurt him.

“Stop laughing!” I said but he continued laughing.

“I said to stop laughing!” I kicked his right leg, but it still didn’t hurt him. Am I too weak, or I am strong but he doesn’t feel it? Weird. “Hey, don’t you feel pain?” I asked him.

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello, finally updated. Sorry to keep you guys waiting. This chapter is longer so... I hope you guys like it.