Reality

Red Riding Hood

I woke up at the bus stop. I wonder how I got here. There was an old lady sitting on the left side of me.

“Excuse me Ahjumma, but how long have I been sleeping here?” I question her.

“You’ve been sleeping there for a while now.” She responds back.

“Did I miss the bus?”

“You did, but lucky for you there is a last bus coming.”

In relief, I’m glad that there is a last bus coming. Moments later the last bus finally comes and as I hop onto the bus and take my seat, I feel that there is something strange about me. I can’t seem to remember anything. All I remember was leaving Grandma’s house, after that it’s just blank.

When I got home, it’s back to the city life. It’s been a while that I’ve been home since my visit to Grandma. It’s been long and tiring for me. My house seems the same, thanks to my neighbors down stairs for watching my rooftop house. Jae came in barking down the hallway.

“Hi little guy! It’s been a while. Do you miss mommy?” Jae moans. “Aw, you must be hungry.” I put Jae down and put his food on his bowl. Jae began to bark at my backpack.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Go eat, Jae.” I walk over to my backpack and began to unpack my things. Then a purple flower fell to the ground and Jae began to bark at it again.

“Is this what is making you mad?” I went to the kitchen and fill water in cup and put the flower in it.

“Jae, have you taken a bath yet?” Jae always runs away whenever he hears the word ‘bath.’ “Jae! Come back here! Jae!”

The Next Day

I woke up earlier than usual and got ready for school. I pour some dog food into Jae’s bowl and some fresh water. It was about time get going. I grab my backpack and left my rooftop house. I arrive at school just in time and went to class.

“Hey, Sung Tae!” said a man’s voice. I look back and it was Hoya.

“Oh, Hoya!” I said as I wave to him. We both enter the classroom. Hoya sits right next to me on my right. 

“So how was your visit to your Grandma’s?” Hoya asks me.

“It was good, but I feel like time flies by so fast. It was like I just got there and next thing I know, I was at the bus stop coming home.” I said.

“Well, that’s how fast time can go.” said Hoya.

“Anyways, thank you for taking care of Jae for me while I was away.” I said.

“No problem. But are you going to take him with you next time?” Hoya asks me.

“Probably so, since Jae will be bigger by then.” I said.

He nods his head. “So, have you finished the report?”

“The report?!” I gasp. “I forgot to do it! Oh what do I do? The professor is going to be so mad!”

“Yah, I knew you were going to be like this so I prepared one for you.” He said.

“What? Really? Thank you so much Hoya!” I said to him as I was shaking his hands. “So, where is it?”

“In your head.”  He said as he points at his head.

“What? My head?” I look at him clueless, “Yah! How am I supposed to do a report that quick?! Aish, really!”

Hoya was just laughing at my miserable life. I drop my head on the table. “Aish!”

I was scolded by the professor after class. But, the professor kindly lets me work on my report for one whole week. What a relief. I’m going to be super busy this week.

A couple of weeks later…

I walk over to my window that overlooks the city of Seoul. It is dark out and the city lights gleam like stars.  As I took a sip of coffee, I look down on the purple flower that I got from my visit to Grandma. It’s been a couple of days since then and to my surprise the flower haven’t rot. While looking at the flower from the corner of my eyes, I saw a black figure outside on top of one of the buildings. I quickly look and there was nothing there. Hmm, that’s weird. Jae come in and starts barking at the flower again.

“Jae, there you go again with the barking.” I pick up Jae. “You’ve never act like this before? Did Hoya feed you something when I wasn’t here, huh? Let’s go sleep, okay?”

The purple flower glows.

The Next Day

“You don’t look so good.” said Hoya as he sits down.

“Jae has been barking all night. I couldn’t sleep at all!” I sound tired and sleepless. “Did you feed him anything weird when I left to my Grandma?”

“No, I only fed him with the food you gave me.” Hoya answers innocently.

 “Hmm… that’s weird.”

“What is?” He begins to sound curious.

“It’s nothing.” Our food came and we both eat and talk like usual.

After our lunch, Hoya and I walked home.

“Have you finished with your report?” said Hoya

“Yeah, I am almost done. I just need to go back and proofread and then I’m done.”

“That’s good. If you need help then just call me. I’m just down stair.” We both laugh at what Hoya said.

We reach our home.

“Okay. I’ll call you if I need help on anything.”

“Okay.” said Hoya

We both said our good bye and went home. When I got home, I call for Jae. Jae comes in running. Moments later there is a knock on my door. When I open the door, Hoya was standing there smiling and in his hand was a mail.