The Boy with Rainbow Hair

Red Riding Hood

“This came to me and instead of you. Here you go.” He said as he was handing me the mail.

“Oh. What is it?” I ask Hoya.

“I think it’s from your Grandma.”

I invite Hoya in for water but he said no, that he has to go work in a bit and left.

I quickly open the letter and read it. I look at Jae and he was looking at me as if he knows what grandma said.

‘Remember to come back for your parent’s death anniversary.’ – said the letter.

Right, my parents’ death anniversary is coming up. “Jae, we’re going to Grandma’s for a couple of days.” Jae barks in joy. I walk over to my laptop and look up for the earliest bus to Grandma. “Jae, there’s one spot left,” I said in relief.

After I bought my bus ticket, I quickly finish the report. It is 10PM when I got done. Hmm, Hoya should be home from work now. I should go drop off my report to him so he can turn it in for me. I grab my report and went down stairs to Hoya’s place. I hand him my report and explain that I have to leave back to Grandma’s place tomorrow for my parents’ death anniversary. He understood and took my paper promising me that he will turn it in for me.

When I got back I begin packing Jae and my things for tomorrow.

The Next Day

I woke up the next day with my alarm beeping straight at 8AM. I quickly got ready to go to Grandma’s. I got Jae and our luggage and got out the door. Then I forgot the purple flower by my window. I dropped everything and went back in to get the purple flower and stuff it in my bag, then out the door again to the bus station.

As I got down the stairs, Hoya was coming out of his doorway. “Hi Hoya!” I quickly said. “Oh. Hi? Are you okay?” He said in concern. “I’m fine. It’s just that I got to catch my bus.” I said as I was running away from him. “Thank you again for doing me a favor! I owe you one chingu!”

 “Bye, have fun!” He shouted while waving at me. I waved back.

I made it just in time for my bus. I was relieved after all that running. I forgot that the bus driver doesn’t let animals on the bus, and so I begged the driver and told him how good Jae is around people and he finally let me. Two hours past and it is twelve in the afternoon and I finally got to Grandma’s bus stop. “Come on Jae we’re going to have fun,” I said to him.

We got off the bus and gather our luggage. I thank the driver again for letting me bring Jae on board. “Alright let’s go to Grandma!” I said to Jae. We went into the forest. As we’re walking in the forest, Jae began to growl. I tried to calm him down, but I felt like someone was following Jae and me. I look around every now and then but I see no one, so we continue walking to Grandma’s house. Jae growls even louder as we go deeper into the woods.

I hear some more sounds like leaves crunching and footsteps, and every time I look there is nothing. I am starting to freak out, so I held Jae tightly. Jae starts barking right

 and then left and he sliped out of my arms. “Jae, where are you going?” I tried running after him but my luggage is getting heavy. I drop my luggage and run after Jae.

“Jae! Jae! Jae-ah!” I shouted. Jae was running towards this road that separates into two. Jae went to this place that had a waterfall with a big lake in the middle. When I got there, Jae was in front of a tall young man (Sehun). He is calm again. The man picked Jae up. “Jae!” I scream his name and Jae jumped out of the man’s arm and run towards me. “Jae!” I picked him up, “Don’t you ever run away from me like that ever again! I was worried about you!” I yelled at him. Jae was giving me one of his apologetic puppy look, the ones that you just have to forgive them for their mistake.

I look at the man. The man have rainbow colored hair wearing a white beanie. Wow, now the rainbow hair dyes in Korea is even popular in the forest. “Thank you… And I’m sorry about my puppy. He’s been acting strange these past few days.”

“You don’t know who I am?” the man asks me.

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I know you. I’m Hwang Sung Tae and this is Jae.” I said.

The man did not say anything. It is as if I said something wrong to him.

“Well, I have to go now. Thank you.” I quickly add. I left the lake. On the way to Grandma, I kept thinking of the man.

I got to Grandma’s house. It is still the same. I went up to the door and knock.

“Oh, you’re finally here.” said Grandma when she opens the door.

“Yeah.” I said. Jae jumps off of my hands and ran inside the house. “Jae!”

“Oh, a puppy?” Grandma sound excited to see Jae.

“His name is Jae. I picked him up on the street on the way home from school couple of months ago.” I said.

“Aww, he’s adorable!” Grandma said as she picked Jae up. Jae seems to really like Grandma. “Come in Sweetie. You must be tired.” said Grandma.

“I have to go back and get my luggage that I left back in the forest because Jae took off running.” I said to Grandma.

“Okay, I’ll be watching him then. Hurry back.” Grandma smiles.

I left Grandma’s place and went back to grab my bags. When I got to the place, my bags we’re just lying in the middle of the road. I thank the lord that no one came and took my things, but then again, there’s barely anyone out here but Grandma. I grab my bags and gosh it is heavy! I don’t remember bringing a lot of things.

“Do you need help?” said a voice behind me. I look back and it was the man from earlier.

“Oh no, I got this.” I said to him. I tried to carry it but I couldn’t, so I began to drag it.

“Are you sure you don’t need help?” He asks again. I give him a thumb up to let him know that I got this. I was struggling a bit but I don’t want him to think that I am weak. “Here, let me help.” He walks over and pick up my luggage before I can even said a word. He was struggling a bit but got it under control. “Where do you live?” he said.

“Up this road,” I said pointing straight ahead.

As we both walk to Grandma’s house, it was really awkward in between us.

“Thank you for your help.” I finally said trying not to be rude.

“It’s okay,” he said.  

“So did your family just moved out here?” I ask him.

“Uh…yeah…” he said.

“Oh.” That’s all I could say right now. I try to think of something to ask him, “This forest is beautiful, isn’t it?”

He smiles at the corner of his mouth, “Yeah…”

“What’s so funny?” I ask in curiosity.

“Nothing...” He tries hiding his smile as he adjusts my luggage.

“Is it heavy?” I said. He answered no. I feel bad that this young man is carrying my bags for me. We continue to have little conversation.

We finally reach Grandma’s place. “Do you want to come in for a drink?” I ask him.

“No thanks. I’ve got things to do.” He said.

“Are you sure? My grandma makes the best smoothie.” I said trying to convince him.

“It’s okay,” he refused, “I got to go.”

I grab my bags from him. He turns and starts to walk back to the forest. “Thank you for carrying my bags. We should hang out sometime.” I said to him.

“Sure.” He turns back.

“Wait!” I stopped him again. “What’s your name?”

“Eun Kyu!” He yells back and walks deeper into the forest.

Why does he look so familiar? Oh well. I grab my bags and went inside. Jae was running towards me when I walk in.

“Did you remember to bring your hanbok?” Grandma asks me.

“Yeah, it’s in my bag.” I said dropping all my bags on the floor.

“Aigoo, a year has already past.” said Grandma.

“I know.” I said. “I’m going to go put my bags in the room.” I grab my bags and went upstairs. I open the door and put my bags on the floor. I took out the purple flower and put it out on the window sill. I went to my bags starts unpacking. I took out my hanbok that was in a box. I put the box in the clothes wardrobe. I grab Jae’s food and his bowl and went back downstairs. Jae was running around non-stop. “Jae, are you hungry?” I said as I put some dog food in Jae’s bowl. I set down the bowl and Jae came running and starting munching on it. I grab some water and put it in his water bowl.

“He’s a wild one, isn’t he?” Grandma asks me when she came in the kitchen.

“Yes. He’s a handful.” I said as I watch Jae munch on his food.

“Well, are you hungry? I made some black noodles.” said Grandma.

“Yes, I’m starving!” I exaggerate. I grab some black noodles and started eating.

After that, I went up to my room.  My leg was starting to fall asleep and I stand up to make it wake up. I walk over to the window and look at the flower. This flower never seem to rot, it is still the same. Strange. I look out and I see a pair of blue eyes staring at me from afar. The same blue eyes I saw at the city.