Strange Things

Red Riding Hood

The black figure began to move towards my direction. I focus on its figure, it has shining blue eyes. Trying to shake off my goose bumps, I yell back again, “Grandma did you get blue geo lens or something, how come you have shining blue eyes?!” The black figure was no further than 3 meters now. The black figure then jump in front of me. “G-grandma, w-what b-big teeth you h-have?” The black figure was growling. “Grandma w-what big n-nose you have?” It continues to growl at me. I give up. It’s not Grandma. So I take out the flower and throw the water bottle at its face and I dash the opposite way. It was hard running with my injure leg! The black figure growls and runs after me. I put the flower inside my pocket in my jacket. The black figure jumps in front of me. I stop and fall back on my bottom. The black figure was growling. This can’t be a fox because it’s too big for a fox and it can’t be a wolf, right? It looks like a wolf, only it is 2xs bigger! My heart was pounding like crazy! My breathing becomes uneasy and it’s hard to focus on what is going on around me. I was about to run like a crazy person until I heard a voice from a distance.

“Sung Tae! Sung Tae-ah! Where are you!” someone yell. The voice sounds so familiar. Whose voice is it? Then it struck me. That voice is Grandma. The black figure looks back and then it jumps over me and disappears. “Sung Tae!” Grandma yells to me.

“Over here!” I yell back to her. She come running to me and helped me up. Then I hug Grandma tightly.

“It’s okay. I’m here. Everything is going to be alright.” She softly said to me. “Come on, let’s go before it hits midnight.” She said. I nod to her and wipe my watery eyes out.

We walk all the way to Grandma’s house. It is a two story wooden house. Even though it has an old look, it still has a very good structure. I took a bath and she already made my bed when I came out.

She got her first aid kit out and I sit down so she could tend my injure leg. “Grandma, how come you live out here?” I ask her.

“It is nice and peaceful here in the woods.” She said.

“Aren’t you scared of wolves or anything?” I ask again. 

“You encountered a wolf today?” she said to me as she looks at me sternly.

“U-uh, no. I’m just asking…” My words trail off. Grandma raises an eyebrow for suspicion. “B-but, I didn’t really see anything at all. I really didn’t.” I assure her.

Grandma finishes putting the cloth around my injure leg, “Do you want some soup?” she asks me as she walks over to the door.

“Sure.” I said as my stomach growled at the thought of Grandma’s delicious soup. Before she left I stopped her, “Grandma, Happy birthday.” I said to her. She smiles gently and walks out.

It’s getting pretty chilly so I went to the window to close it. Suddenly, I see two shining eyes from afar. It narrows its eyes. It was probably the creature I encountered in the woods. I wonder what it is. But it suddenly disappeared when Grandma came in my room.

“Here’s your soup.” She said putting the soup on the table. “Is everything okay?” she asks me.

I turn to her by my surprise, “Oh what? Oh nothing. Everything’s fine. I just saw a nearby fox.” I said to her.

“Oh, okay. Just tell me if there’s anything you need, okay?” she said.

“Yeah, I will.” I said.

Grandma walks out of the room. I went and sit down in a chair and starting eating my soup. I grab my jacket and took out the purple flower in the inside pocket. “Was it chasing me because of this? Strange.” I look around the flower. “It won’t shine in any type of water. It has to shine in that lake’s water. I’ll go tomorrow to check it out more.” I continue eating my soup. After eating, I went straight to bed. Today has been a really strange day.

The Next Day

I woke up to the birds chirping outside my windows. As I open the window, I see a black figure across the woods. It then disappear into the woods again. Weird… I went out and got ready. Grandma was in the kitchen making breakfast.

“Oh, you’re awake? I hope you were having a good night sleep.” she said while pouring eggs into the pan.

“Yeah, I did. Good morning Grandma.” I said.

Grandma finished making breakfast and we eat. After eating, I grab my jacket with the purple flower inside and my backpack. The flower hasn’t rotten yet, it still looks like it’s alive. Strange, I thought again. This time I pack a first aid kit, some snacks, and 2 water bottles with me. I went downstairs. Grandma looks at me with a clueless face, “Where are you going?”

“Oh, I’m just going to do some sightseeing.” I said and walk out.

I walk into the woods and back to where the lake was. I reach the waterfall. This is weird; the shining purple flowers aren’t here anymore. I walk closer to the lake. This is getting really strange, the flowers were right here. I take out the purple flower from my jacket and put it under the water, it disappeared! “What the- How can that be? The flower suddenly disappeared.” I take the flower out of the water. “Are these flowers invincible during daytime? Do I have to come here at night? What flowers are these?” Just the thought of what happened yesterday made chills run down my spine.

I want to test a theory. If I was to put my injure leg in the water, will it heal? I sit down on the soft grass. I roll up my jeans and slowly put my leg inside the fresh cold water. When I put my leg in there were some blue lights shining around my leg. I can feel my leg beginning to heal.

“You’re not supposed to be here.” A voice echoed behind me.

I turn around to look who it is. No one was behind me. “Who’s there?!”

“Leave now. Don’t come back here ever again!” said the voice.

“Who are you? And why are you saying this to me?” I said bluntly. I stand up. “Why do I need to leave?”

“Because this place is dangerous,” it said. Then suddenly a gust of wind blows past me.

“Wait! What’s dangerous?! Tell me!” I said. I don’t think it’s there anymore. I look around. “Weird…” I roll down my jean. My leg, it doesn’t hurt anymore! Wow! It like totally healed my leg! I feel like I can run around again!

I grab my backpack and the purple flower. I walk back to Grandma’s place.

“Oh you’re back.” said Grandma hanging some clothes in the front yard.

“Yes, Grandma.”

“How was your adventure?” she said.

I thought if I should tell Grandma what happened. I probably shouldn’t or it’ll freak her out. “It was fine.” I said to her. “I’m going to go take a nap.”

“Okay…” she said in suspicion.

I went up to my room. I threw my stuff on the table and lay down on the bed. “What was that about?” I replay what happened in my head. “Is it something mystical? No, probably it was someone else who lives in the woods. But, I don’t know anyone else who lives here besides Grandma. And no one else comes here except me. And plus, Grandma never mention anyone else living here.” I shut my eyes and drifted to sleep.

I was back in the woods at the road where I encountered that creature. Weird, I thought I was sleeping? I heard a growl behind me and I look back, it was that creature from yesterday. It came closer to me. I was backing up.

“Leave now.” said the creature. It can talk? The voice was similar to the one I heard at the lake. Now that I look more at it, it looks like a wolf. The wolf is 2xs bigger than a regular one. The black figure jumps towards me. Its mouth open wide to chew my head off, and that’s when I wake up. Panting and sweating in fear. I look out the window. The sun was starting to set.