Getaway

3 Years Full of Chances

 

As Junho and Scarlett left the Lee's home, Junho's parents planned for something the very next day.
 
"Yeobo, lets plan a get away trip with daughter-in-law and your son. This coming weekend, we'll go off to Jeju Island." Mrs. Lee clapped her hands together excitedly.
 
"Honey, but how will that fit into our schedule?" Mr. Lee wondered.
 
"We say we'll go with them, but really, we set them up. We shall send them away from home so they can collect their inner feelings and hopefully a grand kid will come into the picture."
 
"Ah, I see where you're going with this. I knew I married you for a reason. Your smart ideas never fail." Mr. Lee applauded his wife and embraced her.
 
----
 
"My parents called." Junho announced as he flipped through a Men's Health magazine.
 
I nodded because there wasn't a reason to reply.
 
"They want us to go on a trip to Jeju Island with them...." He looked at me now.
 
"I don't think I can go-"
 
"We have no excuse. They already bought us tickets. Be prepared." He got up and walked into his room.
 
Coincidentally, a knock on the door was heard. I went to open it and saw mother-in-law standing in front of me.
 
"Hello, mother. Come inside." I welcomed her and poured her a cup of tea.
 
"Did Junho tell you about the trip already?"
 
"Ah, yes he did. It should be lovely." I smiled.
 
"Of course it'd be lovely!" She was overly excited for some odd reason that I didn't bother to ask incase it's wrong of me to. "I must get going now. I came to drop this off. Don't open it until you-..we get to Jeju Island. Promise me?"
 
"Yes, mother." I nodded obediently.
She left in a rush and I closed the door behind.
 
I looked at the brown, thin box, taped securely. It had heart stickers stuck on it. I went to my room and placed it into my luggage.
 
----
 
Junho and I loaded the car with our suitcases. We always carried our own, but today I struggled to lift mine into the back. He heaved and came over, lifting it into the truck with one arm. I didn't thank him or anything because it was just strange to be kind to one another.
 
 
 
 
"Umma, where are you and appa?" Junho asked his mother through the phone. "We have 10 minutes left before departure."
 
His mother probably told him something he didn't want to hear because he hung up without a word and his face was filled with heat.
 
"Is something wrong?" I whispered.
 
He ignored me. He left me standing as he entered the gate that led to the airplane. I searched for his parents to see if I'd see them coming, but no luck. I slipped in my plane ticket and entered the plan after Junho. We were seated together, unfortunately.
 
 
The plane rumbled as it took speed to take off. My fast instincts caused me to take hold of Junho's hand as the plane lifted in the air. I closed my eyes tightly as I left my stomach dance. I squeezed his hand in mine as if it'd relieve my fear. The plane now was at a steady speed. Realizing what I did, I opened my eyes and suddenly let go of Junho's hand.
 
I gasped. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to." I slapped myself mentally as I winced with embarrassment. I looked to see my finger print leaving redness on his hand.
 
Suddenly, he grab hold of my hand this time with his fingers through mine. "Sweetie, it's alright."
 
I looked at him confused and I caught on. He was putting on an act for the old lady that sat next to us. It'd be stupid of us to be so distant when obviously we were a married couple traveling. We had to make our relationship believable.
 
Junho seemed relax with his hands in mine as I was beyond stiff. Feeling uncomfortable, I released my hand from his. He turned to look down at me and I avoided him by looking out the window.
 
I slowly felt drowsy and my head started to bobble from side to side. Half of me was trying to keep my head straight while the other half was telling me to sway myself into a deep slumber. My head banged on the side of the window and I winced at the impact. Still half asleep, I felt a hand pulling me to lean on a shoulder. The hand that belonged to Junho lured me to continue my sleep on his shoulder. I knew he wasn't doing it out of sincerity, but in my mind, I imagined he did. If he was to be this kind and loving in reality, maybe our love would've never vanished.
 
----
 
We waited to retrieve our luggages and once we did, I asked him once again. "I thought you said we're on a trip with your parents? What happened back home?"
 
He sighed and it showed a hint of annoyance. "They're not coming."
 
"Why's that?"
 
"Why do you have so many questions. If they're not coming, then they're not coming." He placed on his shades.
 
I swallowed and didn't say anything more. 
 
We waved for a taxi and directed him to our hotel. Once we reached the hotel, we checked in.
 
"What's the reservation under?" The counter lady asked as she typed something on the computer and shuffled through a pile of paper.
 
"It's under Lee Junho." 
 
"Oh, the Lee residents. Here's your key to your sweet. Enjoy your suite."
 
 
 
Exiting the elevator, we walked to our door. Junho opened it up and an ocean view could be seen perfectly out the big glass windows. The balcony was spacious and the waves could be heard clearly. The kitchen was nicely organized and topped with granite. The white couches were comfortable and the flat screen tv was nicely placed on the wall. Everything was perfect besides one thing. There was only one bed. 
 
 
After discovering the place, I unpacked my belongings that'd I'd be needing for the next two days. Doing so, I heard the front door close. Junho has left. I guess this "vacation" will be individual after all. I scoffed to myself. I decided to wait if he'd return before exited these ire myself. After an hour, he never came back so I decided to go explore myself.
 
 
 
I walked the strip of the beach where the waves washed up against shore. The cool breeze was refreshing, but walking alone made me feel cold. The sun was setting and I sat to on a log to watch it hide itself until tomorrow.
 
"So this is where you were?" I heard Junho speak from behind. He wad clad in a white shirt and his khaki pants were rolled up indicating he was in the water.
 
"I just came out for air." I stood up to excuse myself.
 
"You should've told me. I went looking for you after I went out to get some food for us."
 
Did he really care now? He revealed his eye-smile.
 
"What's wrong with you?" I sensed something unusual.
 
"I want to spend time with you. Too bad I missed the sunset with you." Although he acted smoothly, I saw him quiver.
 
I nodded and walked away from him. I looked around to see no one but us. Was he putting on an act or was he finally being sincere?
 
 
We went back to the room and had dinner. We actually ate at the table together. He usually doesn't join me as we eat, but tonight he skipped out on tv time and sat with me. I couldn't gather a solution to solve his mystery of being kind and sweet. It was all too surreal.
 
 
 
It was time for bed and it was an awkward situation to decide who had the bed.
 
"I'll sleep out on the couch." He grabbed some pillows and a blanket and headed out to the living room area.
 
I didn't stop his decision, but it made me feel selfish. I watch him leave as  be closes the door behind him. Alone, I was again. I tried to sleep but I tossed and turned unable to. I felt really bad for Junho for some reason. He was so kind to me, yet I let him sleep out there? I was beating myself for giving in to his bipolar act. Clearly, he gave me attitude earlier today and he's ending the night by Bering so caring. I'm not easily swayed, but I wanted to at least be a bit nicer. I walked out and crept through the small hallway.
 
"Junho? Are you asleep yet?" I whispered.
 
His backside was towards me. I stepped away figuring he was asleep already, but he shifted his body slowly.
 
"Did you need something?" He mumbled.
 
"No. I was just wondering if you'd like to sleep on the bed instead." I looked at his bedding on the couch. "It doesn't seem to comfortable sleeping here."
 
He sat up and rubbed his neck. "I think I'll be fine."
 
I nodded and left his side. I at least tried, so that was good enough. Right? I walked into the bedroom and decided to stay up a bit since I couldn't put myself to sleep. It then rang in my mind that I needed to open the package mother-in-law gave to me. I walked to my suitcase and sat on the bed to open it. Ripping the tape off, the thin box tore apart. The gift was wrapped in tissue papers. Before I got to see what it was that mother-in-law gifted me with, a letter slipped out.
 
It read:
Enjoy! Junho likes neutral colors so I decided that white was best. You'll look like a goddess! ;)
 
The instant I pulled the present out of the tissues, the door to the room opened. In my hands, a white, laced lingerie was there. It was the wrong time for Junho to bolt in. Hiding the lingerie that he clearly saw behind my back, I shuddered. I didn't want him to misunderstand that I prepared it for the trip. That wasn't the case at all!
 
"Ah, um...sorry. I should've knocked." Junho's face flustered and his eyes were bright red.
 
"It's-it's fine. Did you need something?" I asked as I too, felt like I was turning pink.
 
"I decided to share the bed since I couldn't sleep well out there, but I see you're probably....busy-"
 
"It's fine, really. Let me just clean up the mess." I rushed to pick up the wrappings on the bed and the floor. "You can sleep on that side." I scooted far from him and hid the lingerie in my suitcase.
 
I felt his weight creep into bed. It has been two years ever since we'd share a room, a bed. It was extremely odd. I found myself shutting my eyes tightly hoping to fall asleep. He tossed and turned as if something bothered him. 
 
I suddenly felt Junho come towards me. He leaned on his side as his chest touched my side.
 
"Scarlett..." He breathed onto the skin on my neck. "I don't think I can control myself."
 
I hesitated and elbowed myself up and our eyes met. "I'll sleep out there then." I was on my way out of bed just to be pulled back and pinned.
 
I don't know what made him so eruptive, but it all happened from there. I couldn't help myself and he took me for the first time after two long years. 
 
"I love you, Scarlett. I love you." His tiresome voice echoed the three words and my name. From time to time I said his name, but never did I push the three words out because I was unsure if it was right. He could've spoke out of lust.