Mentally Distant

3 Years Full of Chances
It was time for check up and this time Junho was forced to come along. 
 
 
"Mr. and Mrs. Lee, congratulations. You both will be having a baby boy soon." Dr. Kim informed us.
 
My heart jumped in a happy rhythm although I was afraid of the process of carrying the child and one day giving birth to him. 
 
"Really, Dr. Kim?! Thank you." Junho bowed politely and I followed. 
-------------------------------------
 
"Good morning, Scarlett." I heard a soft male voice make its way through the crack of my door.
 
I stirred in bed and moved the pillows up against the headboard to lean back. I didn't greet him, but nodded to acknowledge his presence.
 
"I made pancakes and have strawberries on the side for you."
 
I examined his sudden kindness. Still haven't said anything, I scooted out of bed and into the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth, keeping my hair in a low, messy bun.
 
"Are you nausea? Do you feel pain anywhere?" Junho asked carefully as he set the tray of food on the bed to walk me over.
 
"No I'm fine, just tired that's all."
 
Being a big-mouth, Junho revealed to our mothers about my abortion a couple months ago. They frantically refused and visited everyday for a week to beg me. To even persuade me more, they signed Junho and I up for a parenting session every Tuesday and Thursday from 9AM to 11AM. Along with that, since I'm now 6 months pregnant, the doctor has asked for us to go on walks to get some exercise for the baby. 
 
"Eat up. Get ready and we'll head to our parenting session," He encouraged.
 
"Can we not go today?" I tried to sway his mindset.
 
"Unless you have a valid reason, then no. You don't want our moms coming over agin, do you?"
 
I shook my head and obeyed.
 
--------------------------------------
 
"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Lee." Mrs. Yang welcomed us into the room.
 
The last week we were here, we learned how to bath a baby. Mrs. Yang patiently taught us to test the temperature of the water and all the correct ways of handling the baby gently. This morning, we were going to go over the steps of putting a diaper on and dressing the newborn.
 
Step by step, Junho and I worked together. It required teamwork and for the first time in a very long time, we've been working well together during these meetings. I somehow became distracted by watching him take initiation of doing the job.
 
"Hey, hurry up and put the socks on." Junho nudged me.
 
I blinked, "Ah-yes."
 
Quickly, we mastered our lesson and thanked Mrs. Yang before we left.
 
-------------------------------------
 
We've been together a lot lately due to our parenting meets, doctor appointments, and workouts but we still had distance in communication. Mira appeared from time to time still. I still suffer loneliness knowing I'm far from Junho and even my own parents lately. Though that may be the case, the baby has been kicking so he's been accompanying me. I talk to him every night and even read him bed time stories. As I kept thinking about the arrival of my baby boy, Junho's voice interrupted my train of thought.
 
 
"What are you thinking about?"
 
"The baby...."
 
"What about the baby?"
 
I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to explain my thoughts to him. I shrugged my shoulders without a verbal response.
 
"I'm happy...I'm happy that you're going to have him after all."
 
"That's good to know." I looked our the window.
 
His gaze was focused on the street, "Are you upset that I dragged our mothers into stopping you?" 
 
"Even if I did it, they were going to find out sooner or later anyways."
 
"I'm sorry. At least look a bit more cheerful so the baby will also be emotionally healthy."
 
I had so much to say, but I refused to talk any more.
 
As we arrived home, Junho dropped me off the driveway and told me he was going to come home late. I nodded that I heard and did not bother to ask why.
 
"Will you be fine alone for a couple hours?" He asked as if he's never left me home alone before. What a pointless question.
 
"Sure, I will be fine."
 
Just as I closed the door on him, he rolled down the window, "Scarlett..."
 
I turned to eye him.
 
"I'll see if I can come home a bit earlier....."
 
"Don't rush. Enjoy yourself." Emotionless, my face was plastered with nothing.
 
 
As I opened the door, I poured myself a cup of warm water and sat down on the sofa with a huff. I closed my eyes thinking through how life is for me at the moment. Sighing deeply, I finished my cup and jumped into the shower.
 
After 2 hours, I heard the front door open. I was sitting in bed up against the headboard and read a bed time story for the baby boy you kept kicking nonstop.
 
"Baby, why are you so active? Let me read you a story." I rubbed my belly as I found myself smiling talking to him.
 
As I finished the short story, I decided to take the time to get to know my little man.
 
"Hello baby. Hi. This is mommy. Mommy hasn't seen you yet, but mommy really loves you. I love you so much already. I pray that you'll be a healthy baby boy once you arrive. What's your favorite color? Blue? Red? Green? I guess I won't know until you're older. I've been craving for dubbokii and sangyupsal so that means you've been craving for them too, huh? I'll treat you to some yummy food maybe tomorrow. I was hoping I can feed you those delicious food tonight, but your daddy-Junho, isn't home and I'm too tired to drive us so we'll have to wait. If you keep making me crave for them then maybe we can both go without Junho. He's too busy anyways. Okay baby, I'm very tired so be good and sleep too okay? Goodnight, love."
 
I kissed my fingers and rubbed my belly one last time. Suddenly, I felt tears flow down my cheeks as I smiled. Why am I crying? 
 
"Baby, you're making mommy cry like a crazy woman." I chuckled through the teardrops. "Okay, I'll stop bothering you. Sleep time little one."
 
I turned off the lamp and covered myself under the think blanket.
 
------------------------------------
 
Junho peaked through Scarlett's bedroom door secretly and saw the whole scene in front of him. Somehow it hit his weak spot. His heart felt guilty for not being sincere and fully there for his son. He waited by the door for quite a while under it was obvious that Scarlett was in a deep slumber. He walked over to her side and bent down to study her sleeping face. He swept her hair aside and placed his hand gently on her stomach, being extra carefully to not wake her.
 
"Hi son, this is daddy. Sorry I haven't been spending time with you. Sorry I haven't been spending time with mommy either even though these months are the months she needs me most. She's such a strong person, isn't she? I love you, son. Be nice to your mommy, okay? Goodnight." He kissed Scarlett's stomach lightly and left.
 
With Scarlett's eyes closed, she heard everything. A tear drop slid from her eye across her nose to the other cheek.
 
 
 
 
I'm behind on this, but HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all! I apologize for my lack of updates, but thank you for still leaving me comments to show how anxious you guys are to read further. All your guys' comments has swayed my heart for an update, so here it is! :D  Thank you for being so patient with me. It has been a busy Christmas break for me yet it was super enjoyable that I just haven't made time to write. I hope you all had an amazing holiday break too. I just recently got back from a roadtrip to LA and while on the ride there and back, I read your guys' lovely encouragements that I started writing on the way back home. Here's a BIG hug for you all! Thank you, loves! <3