A Family

3 Years Full of Chances

 

 
"What are you doing today?" Junho questioned me as I poured myself a cup of milk.
 
"I don't know yet. I'll be going out though." I gave him an honest answer. Although I didn't know my plans, I knew I wasn't going to be home.
 
He cleared his throat. "Be back before 7. We have dinner with my parents at their house. My sister and her family is  here for vacation so we're all meeting."
 
I nodded slowly almost without a muscle. "I'll meet you there then." I grabbed by purse and stepped towards the front door.
 
"You don't want to carpool and go together?" There was no feeling in his voice but I glanced at him to see a disappointed expression.
 
I declined his offer and tried my best to ignore his face. "No. It's fine. I'll be busy until then and won't have time to come home. Just go ahead first." I closed the door without waiting if he had a reply.
 
 
 
Jenna and I went for a walk in downtown Seoul and wandered around. We stopped at a stand for a raspberry iced tea and sat at a bench that gave us a view of happy families fishing at the pond in the central  of the park.
 
"Haven't you ever wanted to start your little family and spend every weekend doing something like this?" Jenna asked as if she's imagining herself with a husband and kids.
 
"Of course, but it's a dream that's too far away." I sipped on my drink.
 
"You're 24, it's not too late. Hurry already! I want to be an aunty before I become a mommy!" Jenna joked and shoved me teasingly.
 
"Once I find the right man who's ready for kids, I'll definitely make you an aunty!" I replied, trying to smile thinking of Junho.
 
 
On the other hand, Junho decided to spend his day around Seoul as well with Mira who was always available to his plans.
 
"Junho, where are you taking me?" Mira asked with her bright smile.
 
"I'm taking you to me favorite park in the central of Seoul." He held her hand with night right hand while the other steered the wheel.
 
Once they reached their destination, they sat at a bench, similar to Jenna and Scarlett. The view was the same, but slightly from a different angle.
 
"Why don't we hurry up and start our family just like them?" Mira asked Junho as she cuddled into his chest.
 
Junho tensed up a bit , but rubbed Mira's back in circles. "Wouldn't it be lovely?" He couldn't say much, but he knew a family would be nice although he wasn't sure if Mira was guaranteed to be the mother of his kids.
 
 
Gazing at the same scene in front of them, Jenna and Scarlett remained silent to take in the fresh air and beautiful view of gleeful families.
 
 
I turned to my right to glance at the people walking by with kids,  their lover and pets. Looking a bit further, two benches down, I can see a familiar face. It was a face I swear I saw this morning.
 
"Junho........."
 
"Where?" Jenna asked, but she knew what I meant when see followed my gaze. "What the hell? He's here with another woman?! Let me go give him a piece of my mind!"
 
She got up, but I pulled her arms back down. "Let him be." I bit my tongue to not let myself sink in depression or walk over with anger and pull at his ear.
 
"How can you just say that?!"
 
"It's no surprise that he's here with a girl. If anything, it's only a surprise to see we've come to the same place." I got up and motioned for us to leave first before we're spotted.
 
 
 
I looked at my phone to see that the time was already 6:45 PM. I sighed knowing I had to face Junho and face his family for the night. I no longer felt part of the family after figuring Junho's actions, yet I guess I shouldn't neglect his family for his sake.
 
I was driving up the road that led to his parents' house and just as I did, I received a text from him.
 
+1-380-375-7659: I'll wait for you outside so we can walk in together.
 
I never had his number saved, but I knew it was him because I remembered each digit all too well. Deciding not to reply, I just threw my phone back into my purse. Reaching the house, I parked on the side of the driveway and as I reached for my bag, someone opened my door for me.
 
"You arrived just in time. Why didn't you text me back?" Junho asked as he brushed his sky-blue dress shirt.
 
"Ah, I didn't know the anonymous number and I was driving so I didn't bother." I casually answered and walked past him.
 
He seemed to have froze in place for a while. I turned back and motioned him to hurry. "We don't want to keep them waiting. Hurry please." It felt as if I was talking to a business partner, rushing them into an appointment instead of my husband.
 
He scoffed and rolled his eyes. 
 
 
"Sister-in-law! Wah! You've gotten more and more beautiful each time I comeback from the States to visit!" Junho's sister, Jen Yee complimented as I first walked through the door.
 
It was time to smile cheerfully. "Thank you! And you look great still!"
 
I hugged her two kids, Savannah and Steven. "They've grown up so much."
 
Junho greeted similarly.
 
 
Sitting at the food of table, the family said a prayer before digging in.
 
"Daughter-in-law, how are you lately?" Junho's mother asked Scarlett in a caring tone. "You seem to have lost some weight. Has my son not have been feeding you well?" She threw in a joke for laughter.
 
"Anyo. I've been on a diet to stabilize my health." Scarlett smiled in return.
 
"Ah I see. Will I be expecting any grand kids soon? Savannah and Steven aren't enough." She giggled.
 
Jun Yee and her American husband, Sue giggled along. Mr. Lee just shook his head with a smile.
 
"Ah. That, we're not planning to anytime soon." Scarlett gave an awkward smile and Junho didn't say a thing.
 
"We might not want kids after all." Junho added after the silence. "That's fine, right?"
 
Mr. Lee commented, "I only have you as my son. I want you to continue on my bloodline. So, no is an answer."
 
"But appa..."
 
"No but. You must plan to at least have a son, yes?"
 
 
 
Dinner ended. I was tired and needed sleep. As departure arrived, Junho unexpectedly walked me to my car.
 
"Drive safely. See you at home." He got into his car and drove off.
 
On the drive home, I thought about what Jenna and I discussed at the park and what the Lee family wanted from Junho and I. It was all too complicated. He already declined not having any, do why must they push it?