This Is It

3 Years Full of Chances

Scarlett has been cut too deep with depression. Everything was going completely against her. Her marriage was running downhill, her pregnancy is causing her mood to swing, and her family is supporting her in sticking to her marriage when she wants out. It was all too crazy. Feeling unimportant and invisible to everyone, she often thought of just running away and starting new. 2 months had passed and Scarlett received the worst news ever.

"Are you sure? Please check again. It' can't be. How?"

"I'm sorry. It shows here that there is no mistake. I'm truly sorry."

Crying her way out, she was just so feeble and nothing seemed to register in her brain. Home wasn't the place to return to. No where felt right. There was no one to run to and no place to call her own selfishly. It hurts. She was finding it hard to breathe. There was nothing that would set her at peace at this moment. Suddenly, she felt regretful for all the threats before even when she didn't mean it.

-------------------------------------------------

After seeing Dr. Kim alone yesterday, I had no guts to return home to reveal the news to anyone. I just wanted to be alone and cry which was exactly what I did. I stopped at an hotel to rest for the night and I didn't dare inform anyone where I was or why I didn't return back to Junho and the house. Sitting by the window of the living room space, I peeked out to the view and let out my heartache.

"I'm sorry baby. I should have taken better care of you. You know, mommy was so excited to see you, but you decided to leave mommy alone. You probably felt bad and unwanted because I kept telling your daddy that I didn't want you, huh? I'm so sorry. You have every right to leave me because I didn't show you love. Sorry....sorry....forgive me...."

I looked lit a disaster. My puffy eyes, my dead curls and smeared makeup was just a big mess. As much as I wiped my tears away, the pain never faded. It was engraved too deeply and now, I'd have to live with guilt and regret until whenever I can finally forgive myself. Goodness, I hated myself so much. I can feel me depression level increasing as I took deep sighs to relax.

------------------------------------------------

Junho couldn't help but feel worry that his wife never returned. Calling her was no success and he grew scared knowing call his parents and parents in law about this ma stir up more trouble. He decided to set out to find her himself. Stopping at all the places he guessed Scarlett would be, he searched the city library, her favorite clothing stores, the cafe, everywhere he could think of. He was slowing loing hope so he called to inform both his parents.

 

They all gathereed at the house and Junho explained her missing status.

"So she never came back form the doctors?"

"No."

"Son, why didn't you go with her? I raised you better than this."

"I know. I'm sorry."

Everyone roamed the kitchen and living room. Calling left and right, there was no sign of Scarlett. As the day was dawning, everyone's ears perked up like dogs when they heard keys at the door. Knowing it couldn't be anyone else but Scarlett, Junho rushed to open the door. Bodies ran to the person stumbling at the door. It was Scarlett, weak and pale.

"Honey, what happened?! Tell mother!" Her mother frantically exclaimed.

"Rest here." Junho guided her to the sofa. "Here drink some water." Handing the cup to her lips, she drank half of it possibly from dehydration.

Fanning her, Junho's mother couldn't find anything to say. It took her awhile until she spoke. "What if my grandson is in danger too? Junho you must take good care of them both."

The fathers sat quietly looking at one another and back to the commotion. Inside, they were bursting with worry, but they didn't want to overreact to the situation making it any crazier. They left that up to their wives.

Gaining concious, Scarlett began crying, pushing her body away from Junho. "Sorry, just give me time." Saying that, she went to her seperate room to change and wash up. She didn't feel comfortable revealing the news just yet.

--------------------------------------------------

I was overwhelmed with them all in my space so I excused myself from them. Showering and changing into some new wardrobes felt good at the moment. After completing all that, I decided to take a nap before walking out back to the people who don't mean very much at the moment. Their questions and comments were only going to stir up my emotions more. Drained from the past days, I drifted into a a restful and comfortable sleep.

 

 

 

 

There was a knock at my door that I became aware of. Junho stuck his head in. "You awake?" He walked over to me and felt my forehead. "Our moms made dinner so come out and eat." His soft voice made me somewhat sad. "You slept for an hour. If it's not enough, you can continue sleeping after you eat. Baby's probably hungry."

Dang it. Why did he have to mention the baby again? It hit my heart again that I've lost such a precious thing. My eyes watered and he scooted closer with a frown. "Does it hurt anywhere? What's wrong?"

Without an answer, I moved passed him to the outside. Sitting down at the dinner table with our parents felt a bit intimidating. Knowing they still thought I was having a baby, I didn't know how to break it to them. My mood was stable now, but it still resided in a soft spot of my heart.

"Thank you for cooking." I spoke up and everyone seemed astonished that I finally said something.

"How are you feeling, darling?" My father asked as he ate pieces of his steak.

Giving a double meaning, I said, "Not too good but it'll be over soon."

"Trust me, you'll feel fine after having the baby-" I cut into my mother-in-laws sentence.

Bluntly, I said the truth aloud, "I lost the baby." Scooping in a spoonful of rice into my mouth, I felt as if I was the only one moving as everyone else froze. I looked up to see all eyes on me.

Whispering, Junho's words were clear enough for me to comprehend. "You really aborted him?" His eyes looked hurt and it was in that moment that I was sure he also felt my heartbreak.

"How-honey-please explain-" My mother gasped.

"I didn't abort him. I didn't do anything." My voice shook. "He just didn't make it." I began sniffing. "It-it wasn;t his time I guess." Tears drizzled.

Without a word, both my mothers embraced me and before I knew it, I was bawling harder.

Junho didn't seem to take it well. Though he was quiet after his whisper, he played with his food and offered cleaning the table afterwards too. He didn't speak to me or anyone. He gave the silent treatment and escaped to his room leaving all of us in the livingroom. Our parents stayed late into the night, insisting to sleepover, but I refused and told them to return home. I was old enough to take care of myself and even lied that Junho was already to help if I needed anything. After a long persuasion, they agreed. Peace and quiet was what I needed and having them leave would just be calming. It wasn't that I didn't appreciate their time, but I just didn't want to talk about the recent occurrence. Self reflection was needed.

It soon became quiet. Pacing my way to to my room, I laid in bed with some piano music running to ease my mind. Tossing and turning, my eyes were closed but my brain was still functioning with thoughts. ot falling asleep, I decided to talk to Junho. I knocked at his door lightly. He didn;t open so I decided to open it myself. He was awake on his bed with his laptop. Looking up from the screen, he resumed back to stare at what was in front of him.

 

"Don't you understand that the reason I didn't open the door is because I am busy?"

I nodded, "I figured, but that doesn't stop me from trying to talk with you."

"Well, I don't want to talk right now. Wait until tomorrow or whenever I'm ready to talk."

"Junho-"

"Look. Just step out."

His words were harsh, but his tone sounded tired and overworked so I decided to abide to his command. On the way out to close his door, a strong feeling told me to talk to him now. I turned back to him and examined him.

"Junho, we can't talk tomorrow or the days after tomorrow." I heaved. "I've decided to leave. This is the best time right now. Now that we have nothing to tie us together, it's best for our separation to happen now."

He closed his laptop and walked towards me by the door frame. "Just because our  baby's gone, you want to leave, huh?"

"Yes, that's right." I swallowed nervously. "It's the best for us. You and Mira......me.....and...myself....that sounds fair enough." I had no one and the slightest of jealousy grew in me. Junho had Mira even if he no longer had me around so it wouldn't hurt him one bit. As for me, leaving would only be lonely because I had no one.

"Is that what you really want then? Once you make your decision, there's no turning back." He was calm and cool about which surprised me. Usually he'd be defensive but this time around, he was different. It suddenly kills me now that he didn't come up with an excuse and now he was letting me go freely.

"I understand." I nodded once again and returned to my room. I packed most of my things and was ready to flee once the sun cracks the sky.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1 year passed

Living alone made it seemed as if I've traveled back to my college years. It was like I was in my own dorm room or apartment again. Still living in the same town, I haven't run into Junho ever since that day I left. I avoided all places he'd be. I've heard from old friends that he and Mira had ended. It seems that Mira was known to our small community of friends. He was now alone and working like the normal days. I bumped into his mother once and I drowned in a pit of awkwardness. She asked if I was ever to return and I gave her a simple 'no' kindly. Being understanding, she took my answer and said farewell. My parents were disappointed in my decision of leaving, but they were supportive.

Entering a cafe that I haven't gone in years, I sat by th very table that I use to sit whenever I came. The cafe was near where my past life was most involved. The markets and stores close by gave me a nostalgic feeling. Sipping on my tea, I heard the bells on the cafe's door ring. I looked up to saw a familiar face. I quickly look down to avoid the attention, but footsteps clicked there way to my table. Still lookng down, I saw the pair of shoes haulting.

"Hey, you're here. It's good to see you again." His smile was warm.

"Hello, Junho. Good to see you too." I thought it was only a small talk of acknowledging each other's presence, but he scooted into the chair in front of me. I scrunched up my brows, confused.

"How've you been?"

"Great. You?"

"Probably, not as great as you." He was honest and his facial expression dropped from cheerful to dull.

It was silent for sometime until he spoke again. "Will you be coming back?"

Question marks danced around in my head. What did he just say?

"Huh?"

"Will you come back......into my life?" Being brave, he captured my eyes with his and held them in place.

"What are you talking about? Remember, I kept your words that once I decide to leave, there's no turning back." His words returned as my weapon.

"Let's start over, please?"

"We can't. The past is something that I don't want to go back to. Junho, let's just take our expeience as something to learn from. even if we can't have each other."

"We can have each other. You and I are free. We can be each other's."

"There are millions of other people who are also single. Just because we are living in our singlehood doesn't mean we're meant for each other," I reasoned.

He threw money on the table and took my wrist, escorting us out to wherever he was going. We came across a known path of my past. I've forgotten that he still lived in this area. We ended up at the doorstep of our home, his home.

"Junho, what are you doing? I have somewhere else to go."

Pushing the door open, I unwillingly stepped into the cold home that held memories, good and bad.

"Look around..." He told me as he also looked around.

Everything was the same. Our pictures on the wall, the position of the sofas and everything. Nothing seemed to have changed over the year. All things where in place and standing in front of it all took me back in time of when I called this home. Being to feel emotional, I kept myseld together. I was going to step out of the house, but he tugged on my wrist to keep me in my original place.

"I've missed you so much that I couldn't find the passion to change a thing that made me remind of you, of us." He held onto my hands together and placed them on his chest after leaving a kiss on the back of each. I felt uncomfortable, but it was sweet.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I made a promise with myself.."

"But promises are made to be broken right?" He half smiled.

I removed my hands from his grip, moving to the door. "I can't do this. Sorry Junho. I have to go. We can't."

He rushed to the door and slammed it close with his back against it. "Just give me another chance."

"Haven't I given you too much? Please, leave the past alone."

He heated up, "Can you stop bringing the past and letting it scare you? Tis is the present and I want to make it right. Let me prove it to you."

"Junho....I-I-dont know...."

I couldn't hold up a strong front any longer. I finallt showed my weakness and pecked his lips hard. I've missed him and seeing him today was by far the best thing that has happened to me since I left. I missed him. Being away from him only taught me that I loved this man even after all the crap. I guess this is love, being put in hot water, but still seeing the goods to stay even though it may seem stupid and desperate through the eyes of others. He forced his lips onto mine as a reply.

"You were always mine even though you left for what seems like ages."

I didn't quite understand his statement. "What do you mean?"

"You left out of your own will. You seperated yourself from me, but not officially."

He walked us over to a nearby drawer and pulled out a familiar envelope. It was the same one with the divorce papers. It them clicked that we didn't go through a divorce though we were separated for a long while.

I glared at him teasingly trying to hide my smile. He did the same, but it slowly disappeared when he mentioned of our son that we lost. "I'm sorry that I wasn't there to comfort you through the hardest time of your pregnancy. I believe our son forgave us for not showing love to one another."

I kept my smile on, but tears slowly escaped. "I still miss him so much, Junho." Kissing my forehead, he tightened his embrace. Again, he went into the drawer and pulled out the ultrasound pictures. I've forgotten all about them. I could've sworn I trashed them or misplaced them, but it turned out, Junho kept them all. I looked at the monthly untrasound and kissed them. It was as if I was really holding my unborn son and kissing his little head.

"Don't cry anymore. I'm sure he wouldn't want to see us like this, you know?" Junho became positive as he wiped my drenched eyes.

His sincerity was true. "I love you Lee Junho."

"I love you too, more than ever. I will love you forever through the goods and bads." He left a kiss on my forehead, nose, cheeks, and ended at my lips. "Now, let me love you."

He walked us to our bedroom and closed the door behind us. We were going to rekindle the love that was still in us.

 

 

 

Author's Note: Sorry for such a sloppy ending :( I want to thank you all for reading, commenting,  and subscribing. Sadly, this story ends here. I apologize if it's not how you all want it to be. I'm truly thankful for all the motivation you guys gave me. If you'd like, support me in my other stories. THANK YOU!