Chapter 9

The Giant Wall of Eyeliners

It's always him.

 

He's the one consistency that never fails to stop the inadequacy in his life's little failures and the lack of progression. Jongdae's glad though. If it wasn't for Zitao he would probably have to face another rejection and kill himself. Now, Sunday night, another show, he feels another purge of nervousness slip through him and Zitao's just there, combing his hair from behind the seat. Jongdae heaved a sigh. He's faced this before, why is he feeling the same thing all over again? His lover suggested that it's because he's not used to all the attention towards him. He's right, anyway, he's only used to singing alone, when they're getting all cuddled up in the bed. It felt... safer, that way.

 

But he shook that thought off. Being famous is what he wanted, he had continuously wished to become a singer or something related to that, he can't break down now. Zitao looked at his newly combed hair then decided to tousle it up all over again. “What's wrong, Chenchen?”

 

Jongdae chuckled at the nickname. How Zitao often used it to calm him down, or maybe call him that whenever they're getting down into something intimate. You could say Jongdae lost his ity to Zitao. And they've only done it once.

 

Jongdae lowered his gaze, letting his bangs cover his eyes. “I'm nervous,”

 

There was a sigh; it made him concerned. “Jongdae,” Zitao grabbed a chair and sat in front of him. “We already discussed about this—I'll be in the audience, and you'll only look at me.”

 

But eye contact—”

 

Only look at me,” Zitao cut off. He brushed Jongdae's fringe to reveal his forehead before planting a kiss on it. “How does this help you maintain eye contact? Well, we all know you can't hold eye contact with me for five seconds, so then you're free to look somewhere else. You don't even know when you're looking away, don't you?”

 

The singer just kept his gaze down, the silence illuminating the room, then shook his head. Zitao heaved a sigh once again. He lifted Jongdae's chin up gently with his thumb and forefinger, but the singer wouldn't look at him—sure, his eyes were up but they were looking ahead of him. Commanding him with a calm and understanding tone, Zitao told him, “Jongdae, look at me.” There was hesitation on the way Jongdae clenched his fist at first, before he looked up.

 

An unexpected question escaped his lips. “Are you mad at me?”

 

Zitao didn't know what made him think that way. If Jongdae ever intimidated him, he could never stay mad at him. But Jongdae didn't do anything that triggered his anger or infuriate him this time, so what's his problem? Zitao looked down deeper into his eyes, tried to search them; Jongdae's wrists shook with all the nervousness building up inside him and his breathing was uneven, almost as if he was drowning or something.

 

Jongdae blinked when he felt the way Zitao looked deep down into his eyes, and right then he felt more nervous than ever. He didn't know why he asked him that question; he knew he didn't do anything, but he just felt as if he needed to ask that question. Then Zitao smiled genuinely and told him, “no.”

 

Right at that moment the door opened—it was one of the cafe's waiters who entered, almost as tall as Kris, Jongdae and Zitao can't help but articulate. He came in with two lattes in his hands and completely froze when he saw how Zitao's hand was on Jongdae's chin. He stared at them for a while and they stared back at him, as if time had stopped. “...Did I interrupt something here?” He probed.

 

Zitao just laughed it off and sauntered towards him to take the latte. “Where's Suho?”

 

He had to go to Busan, some family gathering or something.”

 

The other nodded, collecting his drinks from the waiter. But when he turned around, Jongdae was eying the taller male uneasily. Apprehension written all over his face. But Zitao concluded that he had asked the singer one too many questions, so he let it slide. Handing his drink to his lover, he seated himself in front of him once again.

 

He likes to think that Jongdae's mind goes randomly—one minute he's talking about a certain topic and the next thing you knew he's jumping off another subject unless he's actually focusing on something. It's what he likes about his Chenchen. Sometimes there are things you like about someone but you can't list them—a certain thing about Jongdae that Zitao likes is probably his scent.

 

Show starts about five minutes,” Jongdae said, holding his beverage out for Zitao to take. “Wish me luck.”

 

Good luck,” Zitao stood up with him and took the latte from his hands. Jongdae kept his eyes glued to the paper he was holding and the other wasted no time in leaning in a little bit to breathe in Jongdae's comforting aroma. Just as he pulled back the singer tilted his head to the side to face him, puzzled look in his eyes.

 

He spun round to get a better look at his lover. “Did you just sniff me?”

 

Zitao gave him a noncommittal shrug before smirking which earned him a playful hit on the arm. At least the mood turned up. He can't handle Jongdae being sad. Jongdae bent over from behind the chair to pick up Zitao's dark blue jacket and pulled out a pair of spectacles from the pocket, instantly putting them on accurately whilst his boyfriend's hand rested on his hip. Then he handed the jacket to Zitao. “I'll be going, okay?” He reassured.

 

The singer nodded. Just as he left the room Kris entered, had he just greeted Zitao earlier he then came in and told Jongdae it's time for the show.

 

Jongdae approached the stage uneasily, his feet feeling as if it would turn into jelly any moment. He felt the adrenaline rush kick in and his heart started to beat fast. So long as he's not feeling as if he's bleeding to death he won't fail this.

 

After the show (which went well) finished he undoubtedly ran down the stairs. He picked up his pace to the back of the room to see Zitao but he wasn't there. Jongdae glanced over and he could see him on the counter talking to Kris. Shoulders deflating, he slumped himself onto one of the seats and covered his face with his hand. Another surge of apprehension started to take over him. The waiter from before placed another drink in front of him and Jongdae gave him a look, before closing his eyes again. He wished Zitao would stay there and wait for him to congratulate him or something. Jongdae thought he'd probably had too much of a high hope for him.

 

The waiter unbelievably still stayed and was watching him with a perplexed face. “Can I ask you something?”

 

He put his hand down upon the voice that was waiting for his answer. “Lay it on me.”

 

Are you jealous?”

 

Jongdae found himself hooked to the question, as if he had to respond. He gazed over at how his Taozi was talking to Kris as he was leaning in the counter, watching whatever the taller male was doing. He spun his head back to look at the waiter once again. “What's your name?”

 

The taller male scratched the back of his neck. “Chanyeol.” Jongdae lowered his gaze.

 

Well, Chanyeol,” he twiddled with his thumbs. There was indeed a heart breaking feeling that he caught, and he didn't feel like he needs to hide anymore. “Yes I am.” A few minutes of silence as the waiter was still standing beside him. “How did you know about our relationship?”

 

Chanyeol stared back at him, “I hope you don't get angry or anything but,” he chuckled. “I saw you during Friday, you and Zitao on the bench, I sat next to you and, yesterday I accidentally asked Kris about you guys and he explained everything.”

 

How about you?” Jongdae asked him, glancing over at the counter once again. “Got anyone important in your life?”

 

He didn't know why he was asking; seriously not his place to into the guy's business anyway but it just randomly popped into his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun and Jongin are currently sitting in the waiting room. Apparently Jongin's cousin was a financial director and his friend was in need of two assistants or something. Baekhyun thought they'd be luckier if they worked with Jongin's cousin, because it'd probably be less awkward that way. He just woke up at five in the morning just to wait here for another four hours, in which Jongin stayed awake for the whole time and lets Baekhyun nap.

 

He texted Chanyeol about the news, that he's finally going to stop job hunting, and Chanyeol replied back, “dont forget to wear eyeliner! :DD” Baekhyun didn't know why he was wearing them now; it wasn't a special occasion or anything, it's just that with the eyeliner underlining his eyes for some reason his self-esteem goes high. Though the whole thing just had to wait for forever, and everyone knows forever is a mighty long time. He wasted no time in falling in and out of sleep just so his eyes could rest.

 

Just a few minutes after tucking his head down on his knees the fifth time he's about to go unconscious to sleep Jongin tapped on his back, since he didn't feel the need to even tap his shoulder and asked him if he wanted some drinks. He referred to a vending machine at the corner of the hallway.

 

The shorter stood up and stretched for a good minute before they started to stroll towards the machine. It just made Baekhyun remember back the time in the clinic when Chanyeol decided to treat him to something. Let's just hope this vending machine works. He didn't want to face kicking the damned machine and feel like he committed vandalism or whatever.

 

Fortunately it did work, and Baekhyun could just feel a pang in his chest when he remembered how lucky he was when Chanyeol offered to buy him something. They stalked back to the waiting room.

 

Jongin's told him that he's pretty sure they'll be going out early by the day since it's their first day on the job. Though managing finances sounded like something hard, Baekhyun found it harder to find his voice when he faced his manager. Jongin doesn't know him at all, despite being said that his “boss” is pretty close to his cousin, he's never seen him before. All thoughts in his head in the moment just hopes that their manager isn't so... mean.

 

Alright, gentlemen, being a financial director's assistant doesn't mean you'll be getting me coffee and run my errands,” the man paused. “Well you will be but—you''ll also assist me in strategy, business planning, relevant financial, commercial goals and objectives, financial stuff.” He looked at both Jongin and Baekhyun. “I'm Kim Minseok, you guys think you're in it for the job?”

 

He didn't even have to wait for their answer. “Great, now get me coffee.”

 

They were strolling towards the nearest cafe in no time.

 

What the hell,” Jongin muttered.

 

Baekhyun sighed. “He's so straightforward, man! We didn't even have to sign papers or whatever,”

 

Baekhyun and Jongin first thought that there was some kitchen in that place or something but there weren't—Minseok explained that they have to get one from across the street, or else consequences will be faced. That's what he said; Baekhyun wasn't at all intimidated by it in any way but he didn't want to face it either so he's contemplating whether he should become Hamlet being all “to be or not to be,” but Jongin just happened to drag him here lest any fights happen.

 

The cafe was pretty vacant, Baekhyun noted. Unlike Chanyeol's cafe customers fill in everyday, especially on the weekends, when the singer performed. One upside about this cafe, however, is that it's very peaceful. Jongin and Baekhyun approached the counter and said they wanted one cup of coffee.

 

Who's it for?” The cashier asked.

 

Jongin raised an eyebrow. Should they really be asking this? “It's for our boss.”

 

And your boss is...?”

 

Kim Minseok.”

 

It all happened so sudden; people started rushing in the kitchen and then the coffee came right in front of them in a second; Baekhyun and Jongin blinked rapidly. The cashier looked at them with a warning look on her face and told them, “you got six minutes.”

 

What?”

 

Then Jongin's phone rang. He pulled out his phone and stared at the caller ID—it was an unknown number, but he answered it anyway. “Jongin, Baekhyun, you got six minutes.”

 

That was Minseok's voice... How did he get Jongin's number?

 

How did you—”

 

Six minutes, Jongin. Oh look, now you got five. Make it quick, I don't wait forever.” And they were running out of the cafe, reaching the fifth floor with one minute to spare. Minseok was waiting for them in front of the elevators. He sighed indignantly, relieved to finally have his drink. He took it from Jongin's hands just as he stepped out and stared at the two boys judgingly.

 

You're lucky this is your first day,” he smirked. “This is a test, you see, to get you prepared. By tomorrow you'll have to be faster than this.” He sipped on the drink. “Think fast when I give you orders. Is that clear?”

 

Jongin and Baekhyun nodded.

 

Think fast. 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE.
OPKiNdj.png

yayy Kai and Baek got a job woot woot ^^

chapter filled with taochen bc oh well you'll find out in the future 

when chanyeol and baekhyun...

but yeah taochen bc i love them

oh right guys guyyss i watched the conjuring D: scary as

guhhh  --- and i wanna ask youh guys a question

"what does the 'wall' in The Giant Wall of Eyeliners mean?"

and here's an advertisement. PLEASE CHECK IT OUT BC IT WILL MEAN SO MUCH TO ME AND MY COUSIN 

Mr. Judgmental it's hunhan ^^ leave your feedback guys!