Taking Care of the Enemy

The Games

I had barely gotten any sleep last night with being on the lookout for other tributes. Now I was just starting my second day in the arena by picking handfulls of edible and safe berries and then stuffed them into the pockets of my black pants. I knew that I had to find water soon so that's what I set off to look for while hoping that I wouldn't run into any others. Maybe I would be lucky today because our numbers had been decreased to less than half of what it originally was.

I turned a corner at a tree and froze, backing behind the plant. I poked my head out from behind it to watch. There was a girl there just sifting through her supplies in the open. I think she was from Three or Six but that didn't matter. I knew that I couldn't kill her but maybe she would lead me to water. Silently climbing a tree, I found a good view point and straddled the thick branch to watch when she moves. When she leaves I will follow her in teh trees, she will never know that I'm following her if I'm here.

She took out some berries from ther pocket but they looked off, thye were darker than the berries that I had. Squinting, I realized something that she didn't.

"Wait!"

But it was too late, sh had already swallowed them. The girl looked up to where I was perched and her eyes widened in fear. She had no weapon. Instead I look down sadly at her and mouthed 'nightlock'.

She collapses and it's not long before a cannon fires. I slide down to the base of the tree and walk over to her, closing the girl's eyes. Searching throuogh her stuff, I find an apple, some wore, and an empty water bottle but no prifier. Obviously she didn't know where any water was either.

This was not my kill, she murdered herself. I reminded myslef of this as I continued to search for water. Now at least I had more to eat and another nottle to carry water in. But I was still without any liquid and soon I would be dehydrated. Eating the berries that I picked earlier helped but not by much, I needed a pond or a stream, just something.

Another cannon went off, startling me. Looking around, I noticed that there was nothing out of the ordinary, no tributes, no screams, no mocking laughs. They must have been fat away from me.

It must have been hours until I came across a rushing creek with flat rocks at its banks. I was so relieved that I almost drank straight from the water. But I knew better. Filling all three of the bottles, I barely had enough to purify them. Once I had everything organized, I downed the first bottle apmost immediately which was pretty stupid of me. Now I only had two full bottles of water to last however long it took for the other tributes to die off. That was a horrible thought but it's the way things are in the arena, nothing is human anymore.

I also washed off my body to get the blood off and rinsed the blood from my dagger and axe that I had aquired at the Cornucopia. Now freshly washed, I put everything away and got up to leave the site.

Turning, I froze. There was a large body slumped at the base of a tree to my far left. Either the person was unconscious or extremely stupid to be sleeoing in some place as the spot chosen. As I inched closer I determined that the person was unconscious and on further inspection, the realization hit me that it was Kai. But where were the other Careers? I noticed the big lumps that were on his neck and arms, they were Tracker Jacker stings. If they weren't treated they could kill a victim, the venom in the stings being dangerous and can cause hallucinations and sometimes even death itself.

I jogged carefully to him. I at least owed him this much since he didn't point me out to the other Careers last night. Picking some leaves off a nearby tree, I chewed them quickly and then rubbed he green paste to try and cover the wounds and then wrote a small note in the mud at his feet.

'You're welcome - M7'

Lucky me I knew how to treat these wounds. Back in my District I climb the trees and scope danger for the lumberjacks. There are sometimes Tracker Jacker nests around so we are required to carry medical leaves with us. He was lucky that there was the right kind of tree near to where he passed out, becasue if not me might die. There was still a possibility of death but it was much slimmer now that the wounds were being treated.

I climbed a nearby tree and straddled the branch to keep on the lookout for the both of us. And if Kai wakes up having hallucinations, I will be safe in the tree. On the plus side, we are both safe with me on watch duty.