The Games Are On

The Games

The start of The Games!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night I couldn't sleep, the nervousness having a tight grip on mea nd keeping me from sleep. Getting out of bed, I left teh silk sheets for the couch in the living room. There I met Caleb who was sitting sprawled in the middle of the couch, his face tilted back towards the ceiling. He hadn't even noticed me some into the room.

"Ceiling that interesting?"

He let out a startled 'huh'.

I gave a small giggle. "Mind if I join you?"

He shook his head and scooted to the left side, still sitting in the same position as before. I sat down next to him and decided to try the same thing he was doing, staring up at the white ceiling. We were both wearing pajamas and out hair was a mess.

"Your interview was good."

"Thanks, so was yours. I'm pretty sure that we both got some sponsors whether they be big or small ones," I said to him as I rolled my head to the side to look at him.

"Yeah," he agreed.

After that there wasn't much talking, both of us imagining our deaths or wondering if tomorrow would be our last day. Who would take my life away from me? The Careers? Other tributes? No one could be quite sure, but there was one thing that I knew for a fact, that I would not be coming out of that arena alive...

 

"Good luck Caleb," I said while giving him a hug before we went our separate ways down the hallway to go to the rooms where the tubes that took us into the arena were located.

"You too."

We split and I never looked back as I set foot in the completely white room, a tube in the corner. Nadia was waiting for me next to the tube. She came over to me and fixed my black outfit. It was very light and skin tight, made for a hot terrain. It was paired with black combat boots. My hair was in a tight french braid as usual and my bangs had the beads at the end like always. I took a shaky breath as she finished.

"Okay Maya, go for the axe and a bag and then get the hell out of there. Remember that the trees are your new best friend."

I nodded and a buzzer rang to tell us to get into the tubes. Nadia gave me a hug, knowing that it was the last time that she would see me living and breathing again.