Training

The Games

I stripped from my costume backstage and recieved a few glares from the other tributes, but most of the attention was on District 12, Jacob and Xia. We went back to our room to eat and then get some much needed rest. In the middle of dinner, Caleb got my attention.

"Maya?"

"Hmm?"

"What do you think training is going to be like tomorrow?"

"Truthfully, I don't know. But don't worry about it too much because we need to get to sleep tonight."

He nodded and went back to eating. He wasn't much of a talker and was only 15 years old, a year younger than myself. He was at a major disadvantage with his small body and frame and muscles that were barely visible. If he wasn't careful he would be crushed by an older, stronger opponent in a second. But I couldn't worry about him too much, I had myself to think about.

 

The next few days were quite uneventful. In training I mostly tried to stay off the grid but I couldn't help myself when I picked up and axe, it was light and easy to swing. I had chopped a dummy in the shape of a human to pieces in a matter of seconds. Many eyes were on me now as I ran the obstacle course in record timing, pushing tributes out of my way  and making them lose balance on higher up parts. That had made a few people mad, but I felt a hot gaze on me and met eyes with the gaze of Kai.

Then on our private lessons with our mentors, I focussed hard on hand to hand combat.

The next day we were to be judged by the Gamemakers for our score. I held the attention of many of them as I hacked a dummy to pieces and also ran hellaciously fast through the obstacle course. I finished with twirling my axe around fancily and doing a few back flips to join my trainer in hand to hand combat and putting the larger woman on the ground, but not without earning a few scratches and bruises myself.

"Thank you, Maya of District 7, you may go."

I gave a small bow and walked out the door and went back up to the rooms to await the scores. A few hours later they were revealed. Kai had an 11 while Vera had a 10, Xia had somehow scored a 9 as well so she was also a major threat. Caleb had a 7, a few others had good scores and I had ended up with a satisfying 9. Me a nine, that was amazing.

Tonight we had our interviews right before the Games the next day. I was nervous as hell. I was already getting prepped, makeup being powedered onto my face and what seemed like a million dresses thrown at me to try on. They were mostly green, white, or brown to symbolize my district. My makeup was perfectly dabbed on, glittering brown eyeshadow fading into soft forrest green and black eyeliner made my golden eyes pop. My long black hair was in tight curls and had a metallic green hairclip in the right side. With that done, I had chosen a pretty green halter dress that went to my feet in the back and cut to mid-thigh in the front to show off my toned legs. I wore silver heels that matched the accents in the dress, my bracelet, and the silver ring in the center of the part that covered my medium sized s.

My stylists stood back to admire their work, making me twirl for them. I knew what stradegy I was using tonight, the cute factor and Caleb was being the charismatic funny guy that the Capitol would love. Ugh, the Capitol....