Arena

The Games

Hello everyone, longish chapter because I won't be updating anything for a few days due to going camping until the middle of next week, hope to see you all soon on AFF!! ^^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stepping into the tube, the clear door closed behind me and then I was blinded by light. When my eyes adjusted to the light, I realized that I was in the arena standing on the pedestal when a voice started to count down the numbers. 60 seconds until release. I looked around, Caleb was to my right three people and Kai was to my far left by eight people, he would be in my way of escaping. The other Careers were far to my right and I wasn't going to worry about them at the moment. I looked for the shiny axe that was my lifeline. There it was on the outer lip of the Cornucopia, I had to have it.

I looked around and was in luch, trees made a crescent around the Cornucopia. Behind where we stood was a high cliff that dropped off into the ocean of crashing waves. I turned my attention back to everyone as the countdown hit the half way point.

30...29...28...

Everyone was sizing each other up, throwing glances this way and that.

27...26...25...

I had my eyes on the axe.

24...23...22...

It was mine.

21...20...19...

I would fight for it.

18...17...16...

I had no choice, I had to kill if I wanted to survive.

15...14...13...12...

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as the time counted down.

11...10...9...8...7...6...

I got in my starting position.

5...4...3...2...

Tributes knew not to stepoff the pedestals before teh start rang. One year, a girl from District 8 stepped off in teh middle of the countdown. The explosion rained her blood and the tributes near her were aleready bathed in crimson. She had commited suicide and the Capitol was furious. That year was the worst of them all, blood everwhere. All because one of the tributes had killed herself.

.....1.....

RING!

I was off first, sprinting for the axe that I never took my eyes off. I needed to get there first, even if it was just a few seconds ahead of the others. Faster, I had to run faster. I ripped the axe off of the wall and grabbed a long dagger for an extra measure of protection. Sprinting the other way, I slammed head first into a girl I thought was from 8. Both of us came crashing to the ground and before I had time to move, she growled and lunged for me since I had dropped the axe, she wasn't going to let me go. I slid the dagger that I had stuffed away out of my belt and just as she was on top of me, swinging it up to connect to the flesh of her chest. She let out a pathetic whimper as the life faded from her eyes. I was dazed with the horror of my first kill as I grabbed teh axe again, stubmling as I got up and tried not to look at her body.

Turning, I was just in time to see Caleb being cut down by a larger male with jet black hair. he stood proudle over my partner's body, he was proud that he had murdered an innocent child.

"CALEB!"

My anger igntied as I realized who it was, Nine. I charged mindlessly as he slowly stood up, covered in Caleb's blood. He didn't see me until I was only a few feet in front of him and closing fast. I took one last large steo before the swing, kile I was about to come in for a punch. He still had the knife in hand as I swung the axe with a nasty right hook to meet his flesh. His lifeless body fell at my feet and I glared at it, he killed my district partner and even though I didn't know Caleb very well, I was willing to revenger him....and I had done just that.

I knew that Caleb was gone but I couldn't stop myself from shaking him, trying to get him to open his eyes. There was a huge gash in his chest, there was no way that he could live through such a wound as that one.

"Oh Caleb," I whispered.

I stood back up and noticed teh blood that was splattered onto me, it wasn't even mine. I had made a resolution to kill only if I had to before The Gamesbut that was voluntary, I had taken his life on purpose. He had deserved what was coming to him.

My eyes met with Kai's as he stood over another large male. My blood splattered face met his emotionless gaze. He looked me up and down, seeing the guy that was at my feet and then up to my blood covered axe, and finally back up to my malicious, cold eyes. We stared at each other, frozen for a few seconds before I took off in the opposite direction.

Spinning on my heel, I sprinted towards the woods, picking up a brown backpack on the way. There were so many bodies that i had to jump over and I knew that there were still more being killed. I heard their screams and knew that Kai and Vera from 2, and the two from District One were doing the most damage to the tribute's population.

Remember that the trees are your new best friend.