Verbs

English 101

I was reading a story recently and it had terrible grammar to be honest. The plot must have been good (she had a a lot of subscribers) but I couldn't keep reading (it was missing its verbs). (I will refrain myself from anyway possible of giving you guys the link/title/excerpts from the story.)

Every sentence needs a verb!

I made a table to show the tenses of verbs and singular/plural ( I may decide to add more when I think of more)

  Past Present Future any tense
Plural were, weren't are   do, don't
Singular was, wasn't,  is   does, doesn't
Both did, didn't, would can, can't will, would, won't, wouldn't  

exception: use 'do, don't' when using I

exception: use 'go' when using you, and I

Plurals/ singular verbs

I can't believe I forgot an improtant rule on this but here it is:

Using singular verbs on 'or' 'nor' 'neither' (when you're making the objects choices)

The fish is either dead or sleeping. Aly or Jake do the dishes. The dog and nor the cat goes out to play.

Using plural verbs on 'and'

Mom and dad do the taxes together. Peanut butter and chocolate go together nicely.

Linking Verbs

Verbs that do not show action (you have to put an adjective to show/describe the action).

ex: is, become, was, been, sound, etc... (some of them aren't always linking verbs)

They sound mad. Bella became a vampire. It is nice here.

Tenses

In the story I read, she had different tenses in the same sentence.

NO!

Keep your entire sentence the same tense!

I went towards the wall and jumps on it. BAD!!

jumps - present   went - past

Alternative 1: I went towards the wall and jumped on it.

Alternative 2: I walk towards the wall and jump on it.

Fragmented sentences

This was another big issue for the author.

She got into the truck. And she got to the park quickly.

Conjuctions make 2 sentences combine into one, not try to refer back to the previous sentence.

She got into the truck and she got to the park quickly.

Only use conjuctions to combine 2 sentences together (or use and/or for making lists/choices).

Much/many

I noticed she got mixed up on which to use.

I searched it up to try to explain it: use many for countable items, use much for uncountable items

Uncountable items: sugar, gold, jewellery, cheese, dirt (nouns that only come in singular form)

countable: apples, oranges, coconuts (items that have a plural forms)

A/ an

I thought I should write about this also.

Use 'a' before words starting with consonants (the letters not listed below).

A turtle ate my sock.

use 'an' before words starting with vowels (a,e,i,o,u and sometimes y [if the 'y' is pronounced like 'i'])

I rode an elephant.

it / them

it= singular noun

them=plural noun

than / then

than= comparing 2 things

then= time period

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: I do hope you know verbs are #@!$ important (even the linking ones). Use them or I will go grammar nazi on you!