Tips

English 101

These are just tips (my opinions on different things really)

Join a forum full of fluent english speakers. 9 chapters on things won't make you fluent, but having conversations with fluent/native speakers will. There's a lovely forum called soompi with interest in Korean entertainment industries. Tell the users you're not fluent in english and they'll understand if you have odd phrasings/words. (I would say get Microsoft word but it may be a tad expensive).

Make sure your foreward is grammar error free! It draws those grammar nazis to read more of your story.

This is my big complaint on the main character. Many authors think it's neccessary to put the billion languages they 'speak' on the foreward. I don't care if they speak wingding, it's only going to convince me this character is pretty bland because that's all they could put there. That's cool if they speak that many languages but it doesn't describe anything important about the character. 90% of the time their characters only use english and korean out of the billions they can speak.

-__- Is chinese a language? As much as americanese is. (A big indicator that the main charcter is only going to use at the most is 3 languages). Seriously though don't use your foreward space to tell the readers the languages that they'll never use (be more creative!).

blue for spanish

red for english

italics for thoughts

^ I've seen a few of those before and I didn't take the time to memorize what each thing stands for. I bet most people don't. "Oh that stands for uhh a language" "Wait why is that text in red and that one blue?? I can't remember". Just type out the language they're speaking in other than the normal language used through out the entire story.

Putting blood type on the foreward. Again it's only going to convince me this character is pretty bland because that's all they could put there. Same goes for height, weight and birthdays. Unless it's really unique like they were born 3 centuaries ago, they're a midget/skyscraper or characters share the same birthdays I don't give a ----.

~~~~~~~ as the main characters name. I always found it odd to read when reading a story. Not a deal breaker but I like it when the character actually has a name.