The ghost of past, present, and future

English 101

90% of us here switch between present and past tense when we should stick with present tense (yeah i have a problem with that)

ran, running, will run- they're all saying the same thing except their in different tenses. 

Past tense verb

couldn't, could, was, wasn't, went

Present tense verbs

am, is, are, isn't - verbs

words in its basic form (ex: run, eat, swim, drink)

Future tense verbs

will, would, won't

Past tense words

put an -ed after a word decribing an action

snipped, dipped, tanned, waited, wrapped

exception: sat, sang, ate, ran, spat, etc.. (note: spit has spat and spitted)

I spat out the food. I spun around the room. I spinned around the room.

putting was before an adjective

I was sitting there. The dog was panting. I was hollaring down the hall. 

Present tense

present tense verb + words ending in -ing= present tense sentence.

I am sitting here. The cats are eating. The group is dancing.

Not all of them need words ending in -ing.

The sign is sitting here. The sign sits here. They eat here. I miss him.

adding an s to a basic word.

He sits there. She plays the harmonica. He keeps his cool. (you won't be able to do this all the time. 'I eats there' is wrong. So is 'I keeps my cool'. Don't use it when you're using I.)

Note: just make sure none of the future/past tense words are in your sentences.

Future tense

future tense verb + basic action describing words= future tense sentences

He will do it. I will swim today. They will sing at the show. They won't go.

adding a be and switich out basic word with -ing word

He will be doing it. I will be swimming today. They will be singing at the show. They won't be going.

Point of views

First person point of view

Most stories here are written in first person.

First person is written like if you were the character in the story. (even if the author switches to a different characters view you're still apart of the story and you're all of the characters point of viws.

In first person you only know the feelings and thoughts of the charcter you are at the time.

If the story uses I, me, my, us, we (not just in the dialogue, but thoughts action etc...)  then it's first point of view

example of first person point of view

2nd person point of view

umm i don't know how to explain this to you well but it like reading a 'how to book', directions, or ads

it uses 'you' beyond dialogue

example

3rd person point of view

in 3rd person you can write other characters thoughts and feelings (you don't even need to write anybody's thoughts in this POV). the story refers to all of it's charcters he, she, it, they, them etc..

example

 

First person is the most common. Third is probably the easiest because you don't have to switch to different POV to read other characters thoughts though in first person you know the charcters feelings/thoughts more. (at this site)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: tell me anything you need me to go over. I wrote about the different point of views to show you guys, you have other ways to write your story. (BTW this is in 2nd person point of view)