The Confession

Remembrance

            "I died in a flower shop?" Hyesung asked with an eyebrow raised.

            I chuckled, amused by the adorable way confusion struck his face. "No, not here."

            He pouted cutely, clearly perplexed. "Why are we here then?" he questioned impatiently.

            I chuckled again and took his thin hand in mine. "I just wanted to come here with you."

            His eyes darted away and I caught a glimpse of his cherry cheeks. "You wanted to come to a flower shop of all places?" he mumbled, still obviously blushing as my fingers tightened their hold.

            My laughter died as I found myself staring at a beautiful bouquet of crimson roses nearby. My heart dropped as the poignant memories came flooding back.

            "I came here. Before you died."

            Silence passed between us. For a moment, I was scared I had said too much, but thankfully, Hyesung just turned to me with a small smile. "I see," was all he let out of his lips.

            I wanted to make it perfect.

            That day... I wanted to make it perfect.

            "Roses..." His eyes made their way to where mine were gawking. "They're your favorite, right?"

            "How did you know?" I asked, surprised.

            A proud grin stretched across his face. "An old interview during our debut days, I think? I have a good memory."

            I smiled. "Roses are your favorite, too."

            His chin seemed to drop to the ground in shock. "How did you know?!"

            How could I not know? "I have a good memory."

            "Are you mocking me, Mun Jung Hyuk?" He punched my shoulder, making me stumble back. He grabbed me right before I could collide into an expensive-looking vase filled with delicate orchids.

            We took a deep breath of relief when chaos was prevented and then started giggling like idiots in the middle of the store. People sent us a hard glare from a distance. Well, they sent me a hard glare since they couldn't see Hyesung. I must've looked crazy, talking and laughing all by myself.

            But then again... I'd rather be branded as mad and insane than to ever lose Hyesung again.

            "Why do you like roses?" he asked suddenly, looking intently at the bundle of red flowers in front of us.

            I shrugged. "They're pretty. And romantic."

            He rolled his eyes at me. "As expected of the simpleton."

            I playfully elbowed his ribs. "Then why do you like roses, huh?"

            "Because they're the most distinct," he answered without hesitation. "Their beauty stands out, even in a field of a thousand different flowers."

            "That's not much different from my answer," I retorted stubbornly, making him snort.

            "I always thought... you five were roses," he said quietly, still mesmerized by the scarlet petals. I watched his angelic features in wonder. "You, Jinnie, Wannie, Minwoo, Andy... You guys stood out to me, even in a sea of a million people."

            "You, too," I whispered. He turned to me with a sad smile lingering on his lips. "You're one of us."

            Shinhwa. You're one of us...

            You complete the six, Hyesung...

            "I'm not, Eric. I was never like you guys." His soft brown eyes overflowed with nothing but honesty. "I wasn't as good looking or unique. I was lucky to be grouped with you guys."

            Hyesung... My heart tightened in distress. Did you really feel this way? Even when you were alive... Did you really think that you were lacking compared to us?

            Before I could protest against his ridiculous opinion, he went on, "I'm more like... those." His index finger pointed to a different bouquet of roses, brilliantly adorned with countless flakes of white. "Those tiny white flowers that are always next to roses. They're nothing special by themselves, but somehow, they seem to complete the bouquet, don't they?"

            "Hyesung..."

            "They're called babies' breath which is a pretty name, I guess. But no one will remember them since they're just filters for the roses. When you take them away... The roses still gleam with splendor as if they never existed by their side. That's kind of pathetic, isn't it?"

            His eyes turned glossy, but his free hand wiped them before tears could fall. I touched his cheek gently as if he was made of precious porcelain.

            "Maybe that's why I'm here. Because I don't want to be forgotten."

            I suddenly found it hard to breathe.

            "I know I'm dead. I get that. But... Please don't forget me, Eric."

            How could I? How could I ever forget you?

            "You're such an idiot..." I told him in frustration. "You're such a huge idiot, Shin Hyesung..." I angrily turned from him and walked out the store, dragging him behind me.

            "Eric..." I heard him call my name in confusion.

            I really have to spell it out for you, don't I?

            The very reason why I tried so hard to forget you...

            The very reason why I can never forget you...

            We walked for over ten minutes in complete quiet. I knew curiosity must be eating away at him, but I refused to quench his thirst for answers. For some reason, I was so angry, so pissed off, so disturbed.

            How could he really not understand what he meant to me?

            Finally, our footsteps slowed to a halt at the edge of a corner. I stared at the stoplight glowing red across the street. Cars raced by, not giving a care in the world, completely ignorant of the fact that a special man had lost his life five years ago on this very road...

            "I hate them," I heard myself speaking aloud. "I really ing hate them."

            "Who?" Hyesung whispered beside me, watching the speeding vehicles pass by.

            "Everyone. Everyone who can live on like nothing ever happened."

            "Eric..."

            The light turned green and I didn't hesitate to pace down the crosswalk. "One," I said with my first step, my voice slightly trembling.

            "What?"

            "Two," I continued my count, ignoring his quizzical expression. "Three. Four."

            "Eric?"

            "Five," I refused to stop or slow down. "Six. Seven."

            "Eric, what the hell!" he shouted, irritated by my irrational behavior.

            "Eight. Nine. Ten."

            "Stop counting. Please. Stop."

            I didn't dare to look at him as he pressed his free hand against his ear. He squirmed under my touch, trying to break free. "Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen."

            "Stop! Shut up!"

            "Fourteen. Fifteen. Sixteen."

            "No... NO!" he cried desperately.

            "Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen--"

            I almost lost my balance when Hyesung collapsed to the ground, dragging me down with him. "Please... Eric..." he begged, tears streaming down his face.

            "Get up," I commanded coldly. "We're almost there."

            Just one more step...

            He didn't respond nor did he get back on his feet. His face fell to stare at the dark concrete.

            "If you don't move, the light's going to turn red and we'll get run over."

            He refused to look up at me, still positioned on his knees.

            "E-Eric... I remember..." His low words quivered in shock and tremor.

            "What?" It was my turn to be confused.

            "I remember now." Tiny wet dots appeared on the ground, painted with his tears. His eyes widened in both despair and remembrance. "I remember. This is where I died."

            I shook my head. "Twentieth step. You died on the twentieth step."

            "I... I don't want to go there."

            "Hyesung..."

            "Eric, please... What if I disappear again? What if... What if I take another step and I never get to see you again?" His whole frame shuddered in fright. "I know I can't stay here with you forever... But not this soon. Not yet..."

            "No... You can't die yet... Not yet... Not when--"

            I sighed and crouched next to him. I gently removed his bangs from his face. "Did you hear it? Did you hear what I said to you before you died?"

             Our eyes met. The way he held my gaze made the rest of the world dissolve into void. It was just me and Hyesung, battling against fate, rebelling against destiny.

            "I heard. I heard every word."

            "No... You can't die yet... Not yet... Not when--"

            "Not when? Not when what, Eric?"

            "Not when I love you. Not when I love you this much. Not when I couldn't even properly tell you... Not when I couldn't even properly confess. Not when I can't stand another day without you."

            "Eric, I remember now." The way his perfect smile was garlanded with unending droplets of tears broke my soul. "I remember everything. How you called that morning. How you wanted to tell me something important. How you said it couldn't wait."

            How I wore my best clothes to impress you. How I went to the same flower shop to buy a hundred roses. How I wanted everything to go so perfectly.

            How you got into a car accident on your way... How I was unable to believe that you were dying in my arms until your last breath... How the ambulance came and took away your empty vessel from me... How I screamed in madness when the doctor told me you were gone...

            Forever...

            Until now...

            "I love you, too."

            I let him drag me into a tight embrace. I felt his heart beating again my chest, I felt his warm breath against the nook of my neck.

            "I always loved you, Eric. 'Til my last breath... Even now, in death..."

            "Hyesung..." I drew back to stare at the perfect face I had missed so much, the flawless beauty I couldn't bear to live without. "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry you had to die because of me..."

            He shushed me by pressing a finger against my lips. He shook his head firmly at me. "It's me who should be sorry."

            "... What?" I mumbled against his finger.

            He smiled through his tears until his eyes disappeared into thin lines. "I'm sorry it took so long to answer your confession. I always thought you already knew how much I loved you."

            The light must have had changed its color because there was loud honking of cars around us. But I couldn't care less since the only person I ever wanted was right in front of me, saying the words I had wanted to hear since the very beginning.

            "I'm the luckiest person in the world. To have you holding my hand... To be hearing your voice... Even if I go to hell... I'm so happy to die like this..."

            ... Me, too, Hyesung... Even if I die now, I'll be so happy...

            His face drew closer until I felt the warmth of his lips against mine. I closed my eyes, wanting to forever engrave this precious memory in my heart.

            As our kiss lasted, I realized I would never dread walking down this path ever again. I would never count, knowing that the twentieth step would crush every nerve in my body with depression and bitterness. I would never shed sad tears on this crosswalk, remembering a particular moment in my life that I could never erase no matter how hard I tried.

            Because by the time I counted up to nineteen, I would be too overcome with bliss from remembering another memory so sweet and unforgettable.

            I love you, Hyesung.

            I will never forget you.


[A/N]: Hey, guys! This was a short chapter but I still hope you guys enjoyed :) Wanted to update something before I drifted off to sleep (which means I'll edit tomorrow haha so please pardon mistakes). I wanted this to be a sweeter moment but I think I kinda failed lol. Writer's block got me hard on this chapter too :( I think without the new ShinBang episodes, I'm running out of RIcSyung inspiration... And I must apologize, I was writing "Just Best Friends" (which is almost done, btw!) and then I just got distracted with this fic >.< I promise to give my other two fics some attention, too~ Please keep supporting me by commenting and upvoting, it really helps! Thank you guys, I only write for you <3 Peace, beautifuls~