The Call

Remembrance

            ", stay still!" he scolded me sharply, a razor held tightly in his hand.

            I grabbed his wrist and pouted in curiosity. "Why are you even doing this?"

            A full smile shaped his lips, making my heart flutter. He jerked his hand back to free himself from my grip. "Because you look so terrible my eyes hurt."

            I rolled my eyes at him, but decided to give in to his command. He grinned triumphantly as he continued with his work. I watched his eyes narrow as they focused intently on the area above my upper lip.

            "You know, I can shave by myself."

            He smacked my head hard. "I told you to stay still, !" I groaned as I shut my mouth, letting him complete his stubborn masterpiece. "If you knew how to shave by yourself, why didn't you?" he commented, clearly irritated.

            Because I didn't care anymore... Because after you left, I just didn't care...

            I felt the razor gently graze down my chin in clean . I couldn't help but be mesmerized by how his brows crumpled together in concentration, how his pretty lips pressed against each other. He was seriously so damn adorable. "So dirty," I heard him mumble under his breath as he skillfully ran the razor along my skin. My lips curled into a genuine smile, keeping my silence.

            I really missed you, didn't I?

            "All done!" he proclaimed after a few minutes in hush, clapping his hands together.

            I laughed at how overjoyed he was over something so trivial. "You're like a little kid."

            He hit my head again, making me flinch. "You just made a 'little kid' shave your hairy face. That's called child labor."

            "I'll pay you minimum wage if you wash my face for me, too."

            "Wash your own ugly face!" he cried and stuck a tongue out at me as he the sink to clean the used razor and his hands.

            I gasped dramatically. "How dare you call such a handsome face ugly!"

            "Handsome, my ," he retorted, but I could see the grin forming on his face.

            I... I really, really missed you, Hyesung...

             I got up and danced closer to him, unable to control the happiness oozing out of my spirit. My arms wrapped around him from behind, making him jump in surprise. Just like old times...

            "Get your ugly arms away from me!" he shouted, breaking away from my embrace as if on instinct, and splashed water all over me.

            "Jung Pilkyo!" I yelled, drenched from head-to-toe. The melodious sound of his laughter filled the bathroom. I quickly joined in, finding the situation so ridiculous and childish.

            I never thought this would happen again. For Hyesung to come back... To be with him, to laugh with him... This happiness I never thought possible was so surreal.

            I will never lose you again, Hyesung. I will never let you disappear from my life again.

            He waited patiently as I cleaned up and dried my face with a towel. With crossed arms and a smug look on his face, he admired his work. "Good. You look like a decent human being now."

            "I'll take that as a compliment, coming from you." I winked at him and his cheeks turned a soft shade of pink.

            "Whatever," he snapped as he exited the bathroom. I trailed behind him, attempting to give him another back hug which he dodged like a pro.

            "You know, you're really taking this whole 'dead' business rather well," I remarked bluntly.

            He shot me an indifferent look over his shoulder. "I cried enough about it. If I'm really dead, what can I do? Maybe this is hell, being trapped with you," he joked rather crudely with a smirk.

            I shrugged, unaffected. "Nope. Welcome to heaven. You get to be in the presence of the wonderful Eric Mun, 24/7."

            "Ugh, talk about a nightmare," he grunted playfully.

            "Eric, this is just a nightmare, right? I'm not really dying... but having a bad dream?"

            "Yeah... You'll wake up soon, I promise... All the pain will cease, too... Just hold on a little longer, Hyesung..."

            "When... When I wake up, let's laugh together about it... All six of us, let's laugh about how silly my dream was..."

            "Yes... We will. The six of us, we'll definitely laugh about it..."

            "Eric!" Hyesung's voice pulled me back to reality.

            "Huh?"

            He pointed his index finger at me. "You keep spacing out."

            I swallowed, my throat gone dry. "Sorry," I quickly apologized, not wanting to share the memories devastating my mind.

            "Well, I'm surprised you're taking this rather well," he said as he slumped down in my sofa.

            I joined beside him. "What do you mean?"

            "I mean, apparently, I'm dead."

            "Yeah?" I didn't get the point.

            He shook his head in dismay. "You said you saw me die. If I were you, I would be ting bricks."

            I frowned, slowly taking in his words. It was true, it was rather creepy seeing an animated Hyesung in front of me when I had witnessed his last breath. But honestly, I was too immersed in joy to be conquered by fear or shock. I was just glad to have my best friend back, as a spirit, a hallucination, or whatever phenomenon was taking place.

            "I already told you. I missed you a lot. I'm just happy to see you again," I answered truthfully.

            He stared at me like I was crazy. Well, I was crazy. But I'd rather be crazy and happy than depressed and suicidal...

            If Hyesung knew how I had become after his death, what would he think? Would he be ashamed of me? If he found out that I was on my way of ending my life the moment we met again, how would he react?

            Better not to find out, I decided.

            "Anyway," he stated, waving his hand in dismissal. "Give me your phone."

            "What?"

            He rolled his eyes. "You still use phones in 2013, right? Like... a cell phone?"

            "Yeah. I mean, why?"

            "To call someone, obviously," he replied nonchalantly.

            My eyebrow twitched in suspicion. "Who?"

            For a brief moment, he thought. "Hmm... Minwoo first, I guess."

            His answer made me sigh sadly. "I already told you, Hyesung. We all split up."

            "Oh, c'mon, Eric," he snapped, annoyed. "Have you ever heard of 'Fight and break up, kiss and make up'?"

            "What? We're kissing people now?"

            He looked away, his cheeks rosy. "What I'm trying to say is that Shinhwa separated because of me, right?"

            Well... I guess he would jump to that conclusion. He was always so constant in blaming himself for everything, even when he was faultless. It was true that his death had a very significant impact on Shinhwa. Without his presence, everything had turned wrong, the bonds between the members weakened to the point of near brokenness. But reality was that there had been something else to add fuel to the fire and push all five of us down the edge...

            Hyesung, oblivious to my distracted thoughts, continued, "Well, I'm here now! I'm back and who knows how long I'll stay."

            How long... Wait, what?

            "The six of us have to meet up again before--"

            I cut his words short by grabbing his shoulders. "What... did you say?"

            His eyes widened in surprise. "Eric... What's wrong?"

            My fingers tightened their hold, making him wince in pain. "You said... who knows how long..."

            "... I'll stay?" he completed my sentence with a frown. "Eric... You don't honestly believe I'm going to wander on earth forever, do you?"

            Muted seconds ticked by as I soaked in his words.

            No...

            No... Please... I don't want to lose you again...

            The expression on my face made him clench his jaw in angst. "Eric... I'm not alive anymore. We accomplished this."

            I shook my head wildly. "No, no... You're alive to me." I cupped his face and drew close, our lips almost brushing. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. "I can feel it. I can feel your breath. You're not dead..." My whole body shuddered in anguish. "You... You can't leave me again... You can't..."

            He gently pushed me away and caressed my cheeks. "Don't cry, Eric..." he whispered softly. Only then did I realize that tears were falling like small droplets of rain. "I don't understand what's going on either. But whatever happens, we'll be okay. I promise."

            "We'll be okay... I promise, Eric..."

            Lies... All lies... He had broken the same promise five years ago as his bloodied fingers had wiped the tears trickling down my face. You're a ing liar, Shin Hyesung...

            Things weren't going to be okay. We both knew that. Nothing was going to be okay. If he disappeared again... I wouldn't be able to live on, I wouldn't be able to ever recover from the emptiness his absence would permit.

            Are you going to leave me again, Hyesung?

            "Eric... You trust me, right?"

            Despite the despair devouring my heart, I bit back my bitterness and nodded.

            Just like back then... Even though I knew that you weren't telling the truth then either...

            "Good boy," he smiled, satisfied. He patted my hair like I was a dog, earning a glare from me. "Now give me the damn phone."

            I looked away from him and rubbed my sodden eyes with my forearm. "No," I stated, my voice slightly cracking.

            "Stop being so stubborn."

            "No," I repeated firmly.

            "C'mon, I'm dead. Don't I deserve some special treatment?"

            "No."

            "You ," he muttered as he got up from his seat. He walked away in anger while I busied myself in thought.

            Why are you even here? Why did you even come back if you were going to leave again?

            I couldn't wrap my head around it. Was this some cruel joke of fate? To grant me one last glimpse of the soul I treasured most before I finally ended my miserable life? Would Hyesung really be taken away from me again? When I found happiness again at last... was everything going to be torn into shreds?

            For a few minutes, I was consumed solely by the dejected pounding of my heart. Overcome by grief, I didn't bother to look up when I heard his footsteps nearing. He dropped next to me with a heavy sigh.

            "Look at this damn thing. It really is the future, isn't it?" he said in wonder. I refused to give him my attention as he tapped randomly on my smart phone he had searched and managed to find. "Ugh, how do you even work this thing?"

            This is the future... But this could've been your future, too.

            This could've been our future...

            "Yes!" he exclaimed excitedly after a brief moment. "I think I get how this thing works now... Wow, look at the interface! , this is really cool..."

            I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him. His rambling was near impossible to tune out.

            "Lee Minwoo... Lee Minwoo... Wait, he's not on your contact list?" Hyesung asked in utter shock. It was true. I had erased all the members' phone numbers to ensure that I would never contact them again... Just in case I got weak and reached out to them for help... I didn't want them to possibly see this desolate side of me and go out of their way to help my rundown state when I was beyond hope...

            When I didn't speak my thoughts aloud, he groaned in frustration. "Fine, ignore me, you bastard." There was a small pause and I thought he had given up. Then I heard him mumbling a few numbers. "Five... Eight... Two..." His nails clicked as they rapped against the touch screen.

            But really, there was no way he could remember Minwoo's--

            "Is this the button for speaker phone?" he said, mostly to himself since I persistently kept my silence. There was a low beep followed by a series of loud rings.

            Don't tell me he actually memorized Minwoo's number...

            There were four consecutive rings. Of course, even if Hyesung had somehow managed to contact Minwoo's phone, the former member of Shinhwa would be too occupied to answer...

            "... Hello?"

            I froze, unable to believe it. A wide grin stretched across Hyesung's face.

            "... Is anyone there?" My heart tightened as my ears perked up at the familiar voice.

            "Minwoo!" Hyesung squealed in delight.

            Oh, my god...

            "... E-Eric? Is this really you?"

            Damn caller ID...

            "Minwoo! It's me, Hyesung!" I finally gave up trying to ignore him and watched as the fool yelled elatedly into the phone mike.

            "Eric... Talk, dammit! It is you, isn't it?" Minwoo's voice trembled on the other line.

            "I said, it's me, Hyesung! I'm back from the dead somehow--"

            "Eric! C'mon! Answer me!"

            Hyesung's smile slowly transformed into a scowl. "What the is wrong with you--"

            "Eric! Please... Please don't hang up..."

            Was... Was Minwoo unable to hear Hyesung's voice?

            Minwoo continued in panic. "Listen... I... I tried to get in contact with you ever since you left... I know it was really hard for you ever since Hyesung died..."

            Unable to listen anymore, I reached out to snatch the phone and end the conversation. However, Hyesung resisted, letting our old friend prolong his speech. "I really miss you. Please, Eric... Let's meet up... I can help you move on..."

            Make it stop... My head shouted in desperation.

            "Eric... You have to let it go now..."

            Hyesung resumed to listen intently to Minwoo's every word.

            "You can't undo the past, you know that..."

            Shut up already... Shut the up...

            "I... I'm sure Hyesung forgave you for what happened that day..."

            Hyesung's widened eyes bore into mine in confusion. I felt my heart drop down to the bottom of my stomach.

            Minwoo, don't say it... I opened my mouth to stop him, but it was too late.

            "Eric, you can't blame yourself forever... Even if you think you were the one to kill Hyesung."


[A/N]: I'm back! I wrote this in a hurry, wanting to update... I hope you guys liked it, I was so tired so please forgive bad writing and mistakes~ (I didn't even get to read this over, I'll edit sometime later :P) Thank you so, so much for all the positive feedback, it means so much to me! Please continue to support by commenting and upvoting! :D And I shall update the other fics soon, too (having such major writer's block but I shall overcome!) :) I really love you guys, but you already know that ;) Now I shall go to sleep >.< Nite! <3