Best Friend

St Michel Student Council

“Quiet. I’m sure you would want to escape this hole don’t you. Just trust me.”

 

Shuffling footsteps could be heard from a distance.  “Three… six… Maximum four for me.” Leaning against the concrete stone slab, a man of at least six feet starts to formulate a plan in his head.

 

“Thanks. I cannot imagine what my life would be like without you Minho-cchi.”

 

“Don’t be silly, we ‘otaku never dies club’ helps one another. Not to mention if the person is you. Amber-cchi.”

 

The two look at each other with a deep found understanding smiling like idiots without the care of the world.  “There you are Amber!”

 

“God! NOOOOOO... Minnie baby let’s run!” Without hesitation, Minho grabbed the screaming lady’s wrist and dash for an opening running for their lives.

 

“Amber stop!! Don’t be such a kid!” Victoria screeched at the top of her voice. Usually, she was able to chase down almost anyone down with her god-like speed and stamina but never had she imagined that Amber and the geeky guy running with her are crazily ten times faster.  “Siwon! Please catch her back! The party’s tonight and we can’t afford to lose her now!” Directing her anguish to Siwon hoping his athlete ability will be on par with the running pair.

 

Saturday morning came, a figure shuffles in between the cold white sheets in a peaceful manner. One would enjoy their day off sleeping till the sun burns high up in the sky in the hot afternoon. Amber was no exception. Sleeping has become her luxury and a habit she has cultivated during her stay in Japan for many years. Growing up in Japanese culture for many years, she has adopt the ‘otaku’ culture well with no contest. Of course, living in South Korea now is a totally different thing. Her morning was disrupted by two beautiful sisters who barged into her room and totally whipped her out of her bed with no room for arguments. She naturally follows their instructions and starts preparing herself for fear of further implications if she fails to obey their orders. Siwon, Taemin, Donghae and Changmin decides to tag along just in case the two ladies might not be able to handle Amber knowing how much a tough cookie she can be when she is in her defiant mode having experience her kick- moments some time ago.

 

Within seconds arriving the mall, Amber grumbles, “No matter how you dress me up, I look the same anyways, why bother. Can I go back now?” Victoria, being the sassy girl she is, locked her arms with Amber with Taeyeon on the other side with no chance to escape. Pulling Amber along, they struts into the expensive looking mall and headed straight to the leading fashion boutique with the struggling lady, “I need you guys to make sure she doesn’t run while we pick her clothes.” Amber sulked for a moment wondering what had she done in her previous life to command all these. Siwon made his way to Amber and gave her his widest grin hoping to cheer her up without realizing she took it the wrong way and backed off a bit. Thinking it might not a be a great idea hanging out with them any longer, she pull out her phone from her jeans and started text messaging someone gaining Taemin’s attention. “When did she owns a cellphone? She doesn’t look like one who does...” wondering out loud and Donghae responded almost immediately, “We never asked her, that’s why we probably didn’t know. She’s not boorish you know.” Turning to Amber, “Amber, let’s exchange numbers and you can’t say no.” making her cringe at the thought of the potential annoyance she might be receiving in the future if she does so. Donghae was persistent enough and Amber relents thinking he probably its okay to do so. She should have been more persistent.

 

“Amber-cchi, why are they chasing after you? It seems like they know you and you seems close to them too.” Minho, Amber’s best friend since they were born, is the only guy she feels comfortable out of her family. Amber doesn’t pass out when he sees Minho probably due to the fact that they are so close to each other everything becomes natural. Minho on the other hand knew Amber’s phobia of men, dons a thick pair of glasses with his hair slicked to the side looking like a total complete nerd hoping to relieve her tense feelings with good looking guys. Beneath the façade, Minho is actually a handsome young man with great sense of fashion and attitude but had reduced himself to an ‘otaku’ for Amber’s sake. The pair managed to pry away from their chasers after some time and settled themselves in a café in the outskirts of the town.

 

“Well, they want me to dress up. Like a girl for a summer party tonight. This morning, they told me that I have to look good and go for the party tonight because they are expecting a VIP today. You know, I’m not good with parties and something serious had just happened in school and I don’t get why they want to continue with the party. By the way, why are you in Korea? I was surprised to see your text.”

 

“Oh. I’m following you. You left your best friend in Japan all alone. That’s like the saddest truth.”

 

“I had no choice, Rain arranged me here without my knowledge at all.” Amber replies feeling all exasperated at the unprecedented fate she has to surrender to for now. Minho seeing his best friend for the first time after her rejection having different mixed emotions all painted on her face, hugged her saying, “Well, I’m here now. Its okay, I don’t get why you like that idiot back then, but hey, I’m here with you now. And these guys seems to be genuine, they seems to care about you though.”

 

“Yeah, I miss you and yeah, they are cool. Perhaps too cool for me.”

 

“Amber, you know what. Let’s go shopping together. For tonight.”

 

“WHAT! NO!!!”

 

Minho interlock his best friend’s arm and brought her to a luxurious mall with leading fashion brandings and boutiques. They went into one of the shops and picked out a wardrobe of clothes for her to try on. Amber was reluctant at first but seeing his best friend all serious and seems to take no for his request, tried on all clothes he has picked out for her. The shop assistants was suspicious and gave them a look of contempt. Amber was changing halfway when she shouted, “Minho, I don’t know how to wear this! Its like ripping apart!” alarming the shop assistant exclaiming in a haughty way, “Hey, take off, you cannot afford to damage the dress… Open up and let me…” before she can continue, a black card appears right in front of her. “I’ll pay for everything in this shop.” the woman looked up to see Minho holding the card and pulled off his glasses in all seriousness garnering a shock from her. The man in front of him has gorgeous eyes and emit an aura full of charisma earning a quick nod from her. “Amber, just change into another piece. Its okay to rip it apart if you can’t wear them.” Minho shouted from outside the changing room and turn to the lady with a wry smile, “Having said that, that lady inside had no issue with buying the entire mall if she wants too.” The shop assistant acknowledge the black card which represents unlimited wealth in credit form, which also meant the lady in the changing room could buy over the city for all she knows.

 

Amber enjoys shopping with Minho. Back in Japan, the two often shops for figurines, gadgets, graphic novels and whatever their interest and hobbies lies in. Even with clothes, it was never an issue since it was with Minho. Amber enjoys spending her time with her best friend and vice versa. They were often referred to a pair of “Siamese Twins” practically sticking together twenty four seven. When Amber was rejected by Kaname, unknown to her, he had beaten the crap out of that man. That is how important Amber was to Minho. Minho first met Kaname before Amber did and introduce him to her. They turn out to be the best of friends and hang out together during school, lunch breaks and after school. Minho totally adores and dote on Amber and develops a strong bonding to her since they were practically together since they were in diapers. When he found out Amber develops feelings for Kaname, he was crushed oblivious to his own feelings for her.

 

Amber on the other hand develops a phobia towards men in general especially attractive ones. She begins to believe that she is ugly and worthless and that no men will ever like her. Fortunately, Minho was ever supportive who stood by her and going to the extent of becoming a nerd. Amber knows it all and appreciates the initiatives Minho has done for her deep in her heart yet she tries to reciprocate his goodwill and kindness in her own ways. The only men who she has no reservations at all.

 

“Minnie, let’s go back. I’m tired.” Exhaustion creeps into her frail like body unknowingly causing her to whine and pout like a child. Her best friend relents and called for his chauffeur.

 

 

“Amber’s not back yet and the party is starting in an hour’s time. Where are the two women?”

 

Kyuhyun stares at the four men in seated in front of him and rolled his eyes in annoyance. “I’m surprised that six of you couldn’t handle a single lady. And you Siwon, I’m surprise they outran you.”

 

“Kyuu, I’m surprised too. I know she’s fast, but the guy beside her was even faster. I have to admit, that man could be a professional athlete for all we know.” Siwon quips.

 

Yunho sat in silence dumbfounded. He was surprised to hear that Amber had ran off with a man described to be tall, nerdy, athlete and to top it all, someone Amber seems to trust. Feeling a little heaviness in his chest, he speaks in a muffled voice, “I’m going to prepare myself and so are you guys. We still have an event to run.” Ruffling his hair, he got up and head back to his room.

 

Taemin came to a sudden realization that Donghae had taken Amber’s cellphone number earlier in the day gets his attention, “Donghae hyung, didn’t you have Amber’s cellphone number? We can track her down though.” The latter without hesitation fished out his phone out of his pocket and scrolled through his contacts. “There you go, let me send it to you.” Upon receiving, the youngest grabbed his laptop and started working on his target’s location right away. Moments later, a frown was visible on his face. “Taemin-ah… What’s wrong? Why the long face?” Changmin upon seeing the youngest face all scrunched up, questions in wonder. “Hyung. I’ve locked her location and apparently she’s in prestigious S hotel owned by the Choi’s. Isn’t that hotel by invitation only?”

 

Amber’s current location indeed is a revelation and Changmin knew that it would be difficult to get to her. “Yes, it’s by invitation only. Even if you are the richest or the most powerful man in the world, you can’t get into it unless you’re invited.”

 

Kyuhyun intrigued by the sudden appearance of a nerdy man and Amber’s mysterious current location got up and instructed the guys, “Well, we have an hour to go. Siwon, can you get down to S Hotel and receive Amber. Did the girls get anything for her?”

 

“Yes they did. But I’m not sure if the size fits and if she’s even willing to wear them.” Donghae replies.

 

“It’s fine. As long as we can get her back in time, we’ll deal with her then. Let’s get ready! Wonnie, I wait for your good news.” The little devil gave the said man a wink before he embarks on his mission.

 

 

“Good day Young Master Siwon, is there anything I can assist you with?”

 

Siwon arrives in the front desk of S Hotel and was greeted by Manager Park. “Yes. I have a friend whom I know is here in the hotel right now. Her name is Amber, I would like to meet her.”

 

“Sure, she is the top floor with Young Master. Let me get his attention.” Manager Park retreated back to his office to make arrangements before coming out again. “I believe they are waiting for you right now. Let me you.”

 

“It’s okay, I can get there by myself. Thanks.” Siwon nodded politely and proceeded to the said room.

 

“Hyung. It’s been some time. How have you been?” Minho gestured Siwon into the suite and directs him to the living room.

 

“Good. You look very different now. What happened to you Minho?!” Siwon exclaimed.

 

Minho raises his eyebrows in a slight amusement. “This is the real me. I’ve gotten nerdy.”

 

“Don’t be silly, that’s the last thing that would ever happen to you. For real, what happened to you in Japan?” Siwon pats the younger’s back in a comforting manner hoping to hear the real reason but came to a stop and interrupts before Minho could continue, “No wait, we have time for that later. Why is Amber with you and where is she now?” The older in all seriousness gave the younger a confused look wanting immediate answers. The younger sighs and continued, “She’s here with me. I’m the nerdy man that you were chasing after just now.”

 

“Now I know why I couldn’t catch up. It’s you whom I am trying to outrun.” Siwon smacked the younger’s back in a jokingly manner and relaxes a little. “Where is she exactly?”

 

“In the room dressing up. She has a party tonight ain’t it? She told me about it and I thought maybe it would be better if she shops with someone she’s comfortable with.”

 

“Sounds good. I didn’t know you two were acquainted. I’m surprised she’s close with you.”

 

“We grew up together Hyung. She was the reason why I went to Japan back then. Our parents were best friends and thought it would be better if we can grew up in the same place together.”

 

“And I was thinking why second uncle wanted to send you to Japan alone. I’m surprised Minho. I’ve not seen you for years. And why the nerdy getup? You know the Choi family are charming people.”

 

Minho lets out a laughter before continuing, “I’m sure you know Amber’s phobia of men is pretty serious.”

 

“Right.” Siwon responded without hesitation.

 

“Yeah. Like you’ve mentioned earlier, the Choi’s are attractive. The last thing I want to do is scare away my best friend.”

 

“Best friend? What about the other guy who brutally rejected her?”

 

“Kaname. He was a friend of mine and my greatest regret was introducing him to her. We used to hang out in three together. Till when he did the unforgivable.” A tinge of guilt mixed with sadness was visible on the younger’s face.

 

The older sensing Minho’s frustration, decides not to probe further. “Chill bro. Its in the past. Enough talking about him. The party is in less than half an hour’s time, I need to get her back for the event. She’s part of the student council. Can I have her back?”

 

“Hyung, no worries, it takes ten minutes to get to the venue. I’ve gotten some people to style her up. Come let’s catch up a bit.”

 

The two cousins plops into the sofa and caught up a little with each other’s lives till moments later.

 

“Minho!”

 

“Yes Amber?!”

 

“I’m freaking done here. Can I go back now?”

 

“Yes! Come out now.”

 

Amber taking the cue, walks out slowly to the living room with her styled up hair nicely touching her shoulders. The front of her hair is all pushed back and nicely parted to the side. She’s donning a white summer dress with a collarless white cape blazer draping over her broad shoulders. On her feet, she’s wearing a pair of white mules which accentuates her pair of long legs. She had barely any thick make up on with minimum smoky eye effects and a rouge color tint on lips. Siwon couldn’t tear his eyes away from her face as the lady in front of him looks stunningly beautiful. He cursed inwardly at how terrible his self-control is at the current situation catching the attention of Minho.

 

“Hyung. You’ll be late if you don’t stop ogling at my Amber.” Minho speaks with a tinge of possessiveness.

 

“I’m sorry. Amber, let’s go. The party starting and the student council cannot be late.” Siwon finally wakes up from his senses and slowly took her hands onto her own and walked out of the room.

 

All this time, Amber was unsettling quiet and followed Siwon with no struggles at all.

 

“Damn it. Now if everyone sees her like this, it’s going to be more trouble.” Minho curses inwardly.