The ultimate test

Lazy Saturday

The ultimate test

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wallet?”

 

“In my pocket.”

 

“Keys?”

 

“In my hand.”

 

“Did you call to make the reservation?”

 

“I called weeks ago, Junmyeon. Now breathe and relax. It’s only a night out. The kids will be fine.”

 

Junmyeon takes a deep breath and leans into Yifan’s chest. “It’s just that after everything it feels kinda weird to leave them.”

 

“I know, baby. But I wrote down everything I needed to and I’m sure Baekhyun can handle them for a couple of hours,” Yifan assures him.

 

“Ok, then.”

 

They leave their bedroom and head to the family room where Yixing is on the couch watching a movie and Jongin is on the floor coloring some books.

 

“Is Baekhyun here?” Yixing asks with clear excitement in his voice. “It’s almost 7.”

 

“He’ll be here any minute, Xing,” Junmyeon tells him as he seats by his side and Yixing leans into his Appa’s shoulder. “Remember that if you feel sick or anything you just call us, ok?”

 

“I’ll be fine, Appa.” Yixing rolls his eyes and Junmyeon laughs.

 

“Hey, kiddo,” Yifan kneels next to Jongin.

 

“Daddy, look! I didn’t go over the lines!” Jongin proudly shows his Dad.

 

“That’s amazing, baby,” he Jongin’s hair. “Now, you know Appa and I are going out for dinner, right?” He asks making sure Jongin doesn’t run into any surprises. It happened one time and Jongin didn’t stop crying until Yifan and Junmyeon got home. Not even Yixing was able to calm him. Yifan still feels a bit guilty about it.

 

“Yes and Baek is coming to take care of us while you’re away,” he smiles cutely and Yifan can’t help smothering him in kisses. “Daddy’s gone crazy! Appa, help!”

 

Junmyeon goes to where they are laughing on the floor. “But Appa loves kissing Jonginnie too!”

 

“Ew, that’s so–“ Yixing is cut off by a hand that drags him to the floor while another one tickles him relentlessly. “No, Dad, stop,” he says between spouts of laughter.

 

As they lie sprawled on the floor the doorbell rings announcing Baekhyun’s arrival.

 

“Baek’s here!” Yixing is the first to stand and go welcome tonight’s babysitter.

 

“Hey, Xing. How are you?” Baekhyun greets him as he enters the house. “Where are your Dads?”

 

“Baekhyun, hey,” Yifan stretches a hand and Baekhyun takes it. “Glad you could make it. I’m really sorry for asking this favor of you but our usual babysitter is out of town and–“

 

“No problem, really. I love these kids, I’m really happy I can help,” Baekhyun smiles. “Plus, Jongdae has a shift tonight so, it was either this or staying home alone.”

 

“Hi, Baekhyun. Thank you so much for doing this for us,” Junmyeon pats him in the back as he balances Jongin on his free arm.

 

“I’m only doing it for the extra points, to be honest,” he jokes and Junmyeon laughs along with him.

 

“Ok. Are we settled, then?” Junmyeon asks and the boys nod eagerly. He puts Jongin down who immediately goes to Yixing’s side and holds his hand.

 

“I left all of the instruction on the fridge,” Yifan tells Baekhyun. “Yixing can’t eat a lot of stuff so please take a look at it. Jongin is allergic to nuts so be careful with that–“

 

“They’ll be fine, Yifan. C’mon,” Junmyeon says as he grabs Yifan’s hand and starts pulling him towards the door.

 

“Yeah, but, just be careful with what they eat and there are EpiPens on the bathroom and the bedrooms. Bedtime is at 9 pm for Jonginnie and 10 pm for Xing so–“

 

“Bye, boys. Bye Baekhyun!”

 

“Bye Appa, bye Daddy!”

 

“Bye, Mr. K– I mean Junmyeon.”

 

“You can call us if you need anything and Luhan’s and Minseok’s number are on the fridge…”

 

His voice gets smaller and smaller as they head out the door until they hear nothing at all. “So, what’s the plan?” Baekhyun asks as Yixing gives Jongin a piggyback ride and takes his hand to lead them to the family room.

 

They spend the following hour playing videogames until Jongin falls asleep on Baekhyun lap and Yixing on his shoulder.

 

Baekhyun is afraid to move because it could wake them but knows that if he stays like this he’ll wake up with a stiff neck. As he’s about to place Yixing’s head on the armrest of the couch he gets a phone call.

 

“Jongdae, hey,” he says into the device. “Wait a sec.” He takes Yixing’s head a carefully leans him to the other side. “Ok, shoot.”

 

“How are you? Have the boys killed you yet?” Jongdae jokes.

 

“They wouldn’t kill a fly, these kids. But we’re ok.”

 

“I remember once I babysat Sehun and Zitao and ended up with a mild concussion.”

 

Baekhyun lets out a laugh but covers his mouth right after afraid of having woken up the boys. “Those two are little tornadoes,” Baekhyun tells him.

 

“Did Jongin fall asleep on you?”

 

“He did.”

 

“He does that sometimes.”

 

“He’s adorable.” Baekhyun clears the hairs from Jongin’s forehead.

 

“What about Xing? Did he ask you a million times if you needed anything?” Jongdae laughs on the other side of the line. “When he was younger, he used to ask me if I needed someone like his daddy to take care of me.”

 

“He actually asked me if I liked taking care of you and that I’d make a great father one day,” Baekhyun tells his boyfriend.

 

“I agree,” Jongdae says. “Oh, damn it. I have to go. See you tomorrow, Baek. Give the boys a goodnight kiss for me. Love you.”

 

“I will. Love you, too.”

 

He hangs up and picks Jongin up to put him to bed. After he tucks him in, he goes to Yixing.

 

“Hey, bud. Time to go to bed,” he whispers to him.

 

Yixing groans a bit but does as he’s told.

 

“Night, Baek. It was fun having you here,” he tells him as he settles in his bed. “See you tomorrow.”

 

Baekhyun spends the rest of the night playing videogames with the volume at its lowest and drinking coke until Yifan and Junmyeon come home.

 

“How are the kids?” Yifan asks as he takes off his coat and hangs it.

 

“They are both in bed,” Baekhyun tells him. “We played for a while but they were out really quickly.”

 

“That’s good,” Junmyeon smiles. “Again, Baekhyun, we can’t thank you enough–“

 

“Nope, not listening. I offered; I wanted to do this. Plus, they are really amazing boys so spending time with them is a pleasure, really.”

 

“Well, if there’s anything you need, you can always come to us,” Yifan offers. “Hopefully Jongdae treats you right because he can be an idiot sometimes.”

 

“He is an idiot. But he’s ok, I guess,” Baekhyun laughs.

 

Junmyeon pats him in the back as Baekhyun heads to the door. “Goodnight, Baek. See you tomorrow in class.”

 

“Goodnight, guys.”

 

Junmyeon sighs as he closes the door. “That was a good night,” he tells Yifan.

 

“Perfect,” Yifan says as he approaches Junmyeon. “We should hire Baekhyun permanently.” He leans in for a gentle kiss and Junmyeon replies with eagerness.

 

“Jongdae would probably have us killed,” Junmyeon warns as they come out for air. “But it’s nice– Wait, we didn’t ask him about the ultimate test.”

 

“Oh, shoot.” Yifan goes to his coat and pulls out his cellphone. “I bet Jongdae knows.”

 

He calls his friend as they go to the bedroom to call it a night. Junmyeon takes his shoes off and lets his body fall into the bed with a grunt. Yifan sits right next to him running his free hand’s fingers through his husband’s hair. “Jongdae, hey.”

 

“Hey, man. Is everything ok?”

 

“Yeah, everything is great. Just calling you about–“

 

“The test? He’s good. Passed with flying colors.”

 

“He’s a keeper, I tell you. Ok, goodnight, man. Don’t stress yourself so much.”

 

“Night, Yifan. Tell Junmyeon I said hi.”

 

Yifan hangs up and lies next to Junmyeon. “He says hi.”

 

They lie next to each other for a while, just basking in each other’s presence. Yifan’s hand on Junmyeon’s hair and Junmyeon’s palm Yifan’s cheek.

 

“I love you, did you know that?” Junmyeon tells him.

 

“I did. I love you too,” Yifan answers.

 

When they get to bed, it’s already late and their bodies are tired from the activities of the day. Junmyeon tucks his head beneath Yifan’s chin, and they fall asleep in a minute, just embracing each other like they always do.

 

 

 

 

-----

a/n: I just read a terribly angsty fic and needed some fluff to get over it lmao. I hope you enjoy~

Props if you can figure out what is the ultimate test!