The Christmas feeling

Lazy Saturday

The Christmas feeling

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad!” He hears a voice coming from the attic. He carefully drops the box he was holding in his hands on the floor and walks the few steps towards the door that leads to the room.

 

“What is it, Xing?”

 

“I can’t find the box with all the tree decorations,” Yixing says as he rummages through the boxes piled up on the floor. They should really clean up there, it’s a rat infestation waiting to happen. “Did Appa take it down this morning, maybe?”

 

“Let me ask him,” Yifan answers. “Don’t let Jongin up there, ok?”

 

Yixing hums as he goes back to searching and Yifan heads to the office located in the back of the house. He hears his husband before seeing him. He has the habit of singing to himself as he grades paper after paper. Thankfully, he can see Jongin on the floor coloring his books and he kneels next to him to kiss him on the top of his head before asking Junmyeon about the missing decorations.

 

“I pulled them down this morning after breakfast,” Junmyeon tells him with a smile. “I left them by the couch in the living room.”

 

With the new information, Yifan goes back to Yixing and helps him lock up the attic. The last time they’d forgotten to lock it up properly, Jongin had found a way up the stairs and nearly broke his leg when he messed with some old furniture.

 

“Should we start?” Yifan asks. He opens the Christmas tree box and starts pulling out synthetic wood, making sure he shuffles them a bit in case there are spiders.

 

“Let me get Appa and Jonginnie.” He scurries off while Yifan starts organizing the things they have. There are lights for the tree and for the inside of the house and also for the outside. There are the decorations for the living room and for the bathrooms and the tree. Everything seems to be in order.

 

They put up the decorations quickly. Jongin helps with the tree lights and places the star on top of the tree with the help of his Dad while Yixing and Junmyeon go around the house making it all Christmassy. As soon as they are finished they all sit in the living room couch and admire their work with some jazzy Christmas songs in the background; Yifan’s favorites.

 

The light outside is dimming and they can truly appreciate the beauty of their creation. The lights glow in sync while the fire in the chimney warms up the room. Yifan feels his chest grow warm and it’s not exactly the fire’s doing.

 

Junmyeon looks at him and give him one of his beautiful smiles. “We did a nice job, didn’t we?” he asks as he runs his fingers through Yixing’s hair.

 

“We did,” Yifan answers with a chuckle. “Didn’t we, baby?”

 

“Yes,” Jongin replies as he buries his head on his Dad’s shoulder, sleep already coming over him. Yifan looks at the time and realizes it’s almost 8 pm, Jongin’s bedtime fast approaching.

 

“Ok, time to go to bed, little man.” He picks the boy up and fixes his wrinkled t-shirt. “Want me to read you a bed time story?”

 

He feels Jongin nod and he kisses his cheek before leaning over Junmyeon to give him a kiss as well. “Be back in a few.” Ruffling Yixing’s hair he heads to the bedroom.

 

-

 

“Do you like it?” Junmyeon asks Yixing as they are left alone. He knows Yixing loves watching the Christmas lights glisten. He remembers how he used to stare at the tree for hours at a time when he was younger, fascinated by the tiny bulbs.

 

“I think we outdid ourselves this year,” Yixing answers with a grin. “Those new decorations we got last week are really pretty.” He settles his head on Junmyeon’s shoulder and sighs contentedly.

 

“I think so, too.” Junmyeon loves moments like these, when Yixing forgets he’s almost a teen and lets Junmyeon dote on him like he used to. He can’t help it but wrap his arms around his first baby and hug him tight.

 

“Appa, you’re squashing me,” Yixing says with a chuckle. Junmyeon joins him in laughter as he releases him and looks at the fire instead. “I didn’t mean you should just let me go completely.” Yixing circles Junmyeon’s waist and gives him a squishing hug of his own.

 

Junmyeon chuckles as his hands go back to Yixing. “What are you asking Santa this year?”

 

Yixing snorts. “Really?”

 

“Indulge me, silly.”

 

“Ok, ok.” The boy cackles before composing himself. “I want a guitar because the one I use at school is too old. I want a computer. I also want a new bike and one for Jongin. I know he can’t ride one yet but we can go to the park and I can teach him how.”

 

“You’ve been thinking about this, haven’t you?”

 

“A bit, yeah.”

 

“Well you can rest assured Santa is feeling generous this year,” Junmyeon teases. Yixing just laughs and punches him lightly on the arm.

 

“The Christmas concert is in two weeks. Do you think Dad can make it?” Yixing asks after a few minutes.

 

“I’ll make sure he does. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to miss it for the world,” Junmyeon tells him. He looks at the time and thinks that maybe he should be getting things ready for the next day but sitting with Yixing like this; he’s missed it so much. He’s usually out with his friends or practicing at school or hanging out with Soojung. He’s growing up so fast.

 

“You know, Chanyeol offered me a solo performance.” He drops it like it’s nothing, like he was asked to take out the trash or clean up his room.

 

Junmyeon beams. “Really? Are you?”

 

“I don’t know. It’s scary being up there with everyone looking at you.”

 

Junmyeon takes Yixing’s face and makes him look at him. “Did you know your Dad once stood in front of hundreds of people for a rap contest?”

 

“He did?” Yixing giggles.

 

“Yup. He didn’t win, but it made him a lot more confident in front of people.”

 

“Wow.” Yixing looks amazed albeit surprised. Yifan will probably kill him for telling him about his rapper past but it’s worth it seeing Yixing’s face.

 

He also hopes his son accepts Chanyeol’s offer. Junmyeon knows Yixing’s good, Baekhyun has told him repeatedly. He’s incredibly proud and wants Yixing to be able to show his talent to the world.

 

“We should get ready for bed, Xing.”

 

“Ok. But can I have a cookie before I go to bed?”

 

“Sure, bud.”

 

“Oh, and Appa?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you, too, sweetheart.”

 

 

 

--

a/n: A little pre-christmas drabble~ I hope you guys like it!