Late and forgetful

Lazy Saturday

Late and forgetful

 

 

 

 

 

Busy. That’s the only word that could describe this day for Yifan.

 

Mondays tend to be particularly stressful for him, especially since Junmyeon decided to work all mornings instead of a few hours every other day, and Yifan is more than ok with that, but it means he has to take the kids to school, and prepare lunches, and check backpacks.

 

“Ok, gotta run, I’ll see you boys when I pick you up, ok?” Junmyeon says while grabbing his messenger bag and folders, and kissing Yixing, Jongin and Yifan. “Remember to make that appointment for Yixing, will you?” He smiles before heading out the door.

 

“Daddy, can you make me a peanut butter sandwich for lunch today?” Jongin asks, taking his bowl and spoon to the sink just like his parents instructed him to.

 

“Sure, baby, now go brush your teeth. Yixing go help him, will you?” Kris washes what’s left to wash on the sink and puts some lunches together. He’s been getting progressively better at making sandwiches and packing juice boxes in a way they won’t blow up. Yixing proudly made him aware of this after a week of soaked notebooks.

 

After cleaning after breakfast and getting his things ready for work, Yifan checks the windows and the locks before going to check on the boys. He takes Jongin’s backpack and lifts his youngest up while walking to Yixing’s room.

 

“Are we all set?” Yifan asks.

 

“Yeah, but, did you see where I left my math book yesterday?” Yixing goes around his room in mild desperation until Yifan moves some stuff from his desk and finds said book.

 

“We are cleaning up this room tonight, young man,” he says ruffling his son’s head.

 

-

 

By the time Junmyeon finishes his classes at the university it’s already 2pm. He picks up the tower of papers left by his students and heads to his car in a hurry. Jongin gets out at 2.30 so he’ll have to rush through the streets and hope there isn’t any traffic.

 

“Professor Kim!” He hears a voice calling for him. He doesn’t have time to grant extensions or hear excuses right now. He turns around anyways, clearly annoyed. Junmyeon is usually very kind and has a pleasant face, but when you are dealing with a bunch or privileged kids at an expensive university he needs to put up a façade to get respect.

 

“What is it…uhm…what was your name again?”

 

“Baekhyun, sir,” the boy answers with a nervous look.

 

“Well, Baekhyun sir, I’m kind of in a hurry so whatever you have to ask me can wait–“

 

“You forgot your cellphone, sir,” Baekhyun interrupts and Junmyeon could slap his own face.

 

“Oh, thank you so much.” Junmyeon feels like an for snapping at the kid. “I’m sorry I was a jerk, but I’m late to pick up my kids from school,“ he says trying to balance everything on his arms.

 

“It’s ok, Professor Kim, no hard feelings,” Baekhyun smiles adjusting his backpack on his shoulders. “I should go, I have to meet up with my cousin, unless you need anything…?”

 

“No, no, go ahead I should run too. Thanks again…,” Junmyeon struggles to remember the name. It’s not his fault he has hundreds of students.

 

“Baekhyun.”

 

“Right. Baekhyun. Remember to study for this Friday!” Junmyeon shouts as he walks, or better runs, down the hallway.

 

When he gets to the school it’s already 3.15pm and he can already see Jongin’s watery eyes inside his classroom waiting for his late Appa. He runs inside the school only to find Yixing playing with Jongin on the playground, backpacks forgotten on a bench.

 

“Boys!” Junmyeon shouts towards them and Jongin runs as fast as he can, crashing into Junmyeon and almost making him lose his balance. Yixing walk over and hugs his Appa tightly.

 

“Why are you late, Jongin was crying,” Yixing says picking up both bags and taking Jongin’s hand.

 

Junmyeon grabs Jongin’s free hand and starts heading to the car. “Class ran longer than I expected. How was your day? How was the math test?” He asks his oldest.

 

“It was ok, I guess. Kinda easy,” Yixing beams.

 

“I’m glad to hear that,” he ruffles his son’s hair. “How about you, buddy, what did you learn today?”

 

“We learned about sports and about football!” Jongin suddenly starts kicking a non-existent ball and Junmyeon laughs quietly.

 

“Dad, can we have mac & cheese for dinner tonight?” Yixing asks when they get to the car. He buckles Jongin and himself up without Junmyeon having to remind him.

 

Junmyeon smiles warmly at him, “Sure thing, kiddo.”

 

-

 

Yifan’s shift is over when he remembers what Junmyeon had asked him before he left for work. Yixing’s appointment! He mutters to himself before going back to where he came from, the doctor’s lounge.

 

He finds the room exactly how it was a few minutes ago before he took his stuff to leave for home. Minseok is on the couch snoring, Henry is checking some charts and Jongdae is on the table drowning in paperwork. He feels sorry for his friend but also relieved he’s put his residency past him.

 

“Didn’t you just leave? Oh my God am I hallucinating?” The resident’s eyes open wide in a mix of fear and confusion.

 

“I did, relax, you’re not going crazy,” Kris chuckles.

 

“Oh,” he lets out a breath. “Why are you back, did you forget something?”

 

“I just forgot to ask you, do you have any openings for tomorrow afternoon?” Kris asks him while the younger scribbles on some yet-to-be-updated charts.

 

“Uhm, well, seeing as I have about a thousand charts to revise, not really, no,” he answers. “Why would you need an appointment with a pediatrician anyway? Aren’t you a little old and rusty?”

 

“It’s not for me, you dweeb, it’s for Yixing.”

 

“Why, what’s wrong with Yixing?”

 

“Nothing, he’s just been a little weird lately, Junmyeon asked me to check him but I just figured you were the best peds guy here, so…”

 

Jongdae grunts, “fine. Bring him around after school.”

 

“Thanks, man, I appreciate it.” Kris starts heading back to the exit. All he wants is to go home and hug his boys and kiss Junmyeon. “Oh, if you need anything, just ask ok?”

 

“I’ll be fine, I’ll get this done by tonight, maybe I’ll guilt trip Minseok into helping me. He owes me after I got Zitao that spot on my friend’s martial arts school.”

 

“Yeah, you do that.” Kris leaves with a smile on his face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------

 

a/n: Ok so I figured adding this drabble to 'Lazy saturday' was better than creating a whole new entry. I got a lot of ideas for this AU but they are mostly plotless, just 'slice of life' kinda drabbles or oneshots (depending if I get inspired or not) so I hope you enjoy!

Again, comments/feedback/suggestons are welcome! Thank you for reading ^^