As unpredictable as the weather

Lazy Saturday

As unpredictable as the weather

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Finally!” Jongdae cheers when Yifan, Junmyeon and the boys arrive at Luhan and Minseok’s. “I’m starving.”

 

“We’re right on time, what are you talking about?” Yifan tells him as he puts Jongin on the floor to go play with the other kids.

 

“He’s been here for an hour,” Minseok says from the kitchen where he’s preparing the food.

 

“He was a bit too eager since we leave tonight,” Baekhyun explains from where he’s toasting bread after bread.

 

“What do you mean you leave?” Junmyeon questions with a frown. “You’re not staying until tomorrow?”

 

Jongdae stops pestering Minseok after the man slaps him with the spatula and directs himself to the table Luhan’s setting. “I’m a resident. I’m lucky I got two days off.”

 

Junmyeon goes over to help Minseok while Yifan goes over to check on the kids on one of the rooms inside. “Like you don’t live living in the hospital,” he accuses as he walks. “You’re a workaholic.”

 

“Shut up, Wu.”

 

Yifan chuckles to himself as he opens the door to the boys’ bedroom. It’s nicely decorated and clean. Minseok’s doing, he imagines. “Hey, boys,” he greets kneeling down next to a small table filled with crayons and pencils and paper.

 

“Uncle Yifan!” Sehun screams. “Look at my picture, it’s us at the beach yesterday.”

 

Yifan stares at the drawing for a few seconds trying to understand what’s on it and pats Sehun’s head tenderly. “It’s amazing, bud.”

 

“Daddy? Do you like mine?” Jongin asks as he shows his drawing, which is even less understandable than Sehun’s.

 

“It’s beautiful, baby.”

 

“Yixing hyung says he doesn’t want to draw,” Sehun claims between sprouts of cough and Yifan removes his stare from his oldest where he’s playing with Luhan’s Ipad to focus on Sehun.

 

“Did I hear coughing?” Minseok startles him when he shows up unexpectedly at the door.

 

“It’s Sehun,” Yifan tells him.

 

Minseok sighs as he takes the inhaler on the dresser and places it on Sehun’s hand. “Use it, sweetheart. You don’t want to have another fit, don’t you?”

 

Sehun shakes his head as he takes the inhaler to his mouth, Minseok eyes never leaving him.

 

“Is he been having problems?”

 

“He’s been coughing since last night,” Minseok sighs. He ruffles Sehun’s hair after kissing him on the cheek. “Breakfast is almost ready, boys.”

 

Yifan looks as Sehun as he puts the inhaler in his pocket and continues drawing. “You heard Minseok, everybody go to the dining room.” He ushers the boys out and leads Yixing with his hands by his shoulders. “Wanna have Soojung over this afternoon? I can call her dad.”

 

Yixing smiles widely as he nods. “Yeah.”

 

“Good. Now drop that frown. The boys like their Yixing hyung happy.”

 

“Daddy!” he hears Jongin shout when he and Yixing make it to the dining room. Jongdae has him on his shoulders while Baekhyun holds Zitao upside down.

 

“Uncle Yifan! Help!” Zitao chuckles as Baekhyun tickles his feet.

 

He puts a smiley Zitao on the floor carefully. “Next time don’t you dare throw your Wushu moves at me Zitao,” he shouts at the boy who runs away laughing loudly. Baekhyun laughs along as he takes Jongin and takes him off Jongdae’s shoulders.

 

“Hey, Xing, Baekhyun and I are going to the fair after breakfast. Wanna come?” Jongdae asks him as he fixes his messy hair after Jongin ran his hands all over it.

 

“Can I Dad?”

 

“Sure, bud.”

 

Yixing high fives Jongdae and Baekhyun as he moves to the table where Minseok and Junmyeon are placing all the warm breakfast food.

 

Thankfully, Minseok has a big enough to sit all of the adults plus Yixing. They little boys are sitting in the coffee table with pancakes and juice boxes while they entertain themselves with the television.

 

It’s nice, Yifan thinks, that they get to do this. And it’s even nicer when Junmyeon puts a hand on his shoulders and runs his hand up and down his spine. He loves it when Junmyeon does that.

 

“So, Yixing. How’s school lately?” Luhan asks the boy between all the adult chatter.

 

“It’s good. Great, actually,” he smiles and gives Baekhyun a knowing look. “The kid that was picking on everyone is actually really nice. He just had some trouble at home.”

 

“His dad was the brute force kind of guy,” Baekhyun adds with a grim look. “But they got involved and now he’s living with his grandma. He’s a new kid now.”

 

“He invited me to his birthday party next weekend,” Yixing tells everyone with a grin. Yifan can’t help but to smile at his son and how he dealt with everything. He really wishes he could have given this kid a piece of his mind, but kids tend to reenact what they see, and he can only imagine what he must have been through. He feels sorry for him.

 

They finish soon enough and Luhan starts to collect all the plates and glasses from the table as Yifan starts running the water to wash them. It’s a collective effort to clear the table since the kids look high on syrup and the adults are trying to get ready to go out.

 

“Hey, I saw this store a few miles away from town that I think we should go check out,” Luhan tells Junmyeon as he stuffs his face with the remaining of the bacon and eggs. “They have this huge collection of sports memorabilia.”

 

“I was about to ask you the same,” he answers. “I’ve been looking for this golf club forever.”

 

“You can both go and take the kids because I’m not moving off the couch until lunch,” Minseok says as he finishes his coffee and leaves the cup on the sink. “I need to catch up on some sleep.”

 

“Same here,” Yifan adds. He finishes washing as Junmyeon starts drying the last of the cutlery.

 

“We’re taking Yixing, see you guys later!” Baekhyun let’s them know with a shout.

 

“We’re going too,” Junmyeon says. He kisses Yifan on the cheek as he says goodbye.

 

“Minseok, keep an eye on Sehun. His peak flow meter says he’s ok, but just in case,” Luhan tells a yawning Minseok on the couch. He already accommodated himself for a long nap while Sehun, Jongin and Zitao are still on the coffee table coloring.

 

“Will do,” he confirms as he grabs Luhan’s neck and kisses him square on the lips.

 

“Ew, Baba not in public,” Sehun giggles and Zitao joins him.

 

“Shush, penguin, or I won’t bring you a pressie,” Luhan threatens as Sehun nods and puts both hands on his mouth, attempting not to laugh.

 

“I want one too!” Zitao whines pulling Luhan’s shirt.

 

Luhan looks at Minseok with a pleading look but Minseok just shrugs, chuckling. “You brought this on yourself, dummy.”

 

He mouths an ‘I hate you’ as he walks out the door with Junmyeon.

 

“I’m gonna head home, man,” Yifan yawns as the words come out. He runs his fingers through his hair in an effort to keep himself awake until his body hits the bed.

 

“Can Sehunnie and Taozi come home, Daddy?” Jongin begs with his puppy eyes and Minseok chuckles to himself because he knows as well as Yifan that he’s lost.

 

He groans. “Fine. But no yelling!”

 

“But I’m supposed to go to Kyungsoo’s now, Appa. Remember?” Zitao shakes his Appa awake.

 

He groans too. “Right, I’m sorry, baby, I forgot. Go get ready.” Zitao runs to his bedroom as Yifan pats Minseok’s back and leaves with two little boys holding on to his hands.

 

-

 

He sighs contentedly as his head hits the pillow on his bed. He left Jongin and Sehun on the boys’ room with some snacks and clear instructions to wake him up if anything at all happens and to not open the door for anyone. At all.

 

He closes his eyes and he can already feel sleep dawning over him when two small hands shake him awake.

 

He whines to himself as he cracks one eye open. “What is it, Jongin?” He closes his eyes again hoping Jongin doesn’t want really anything and he can go back to sleep. Or start to sleep, really.

 

“Daddy, Sehunnie doesn’t feel good.” That is all he needs to jump out of the bed and head to the next room, Jongin’s little foot steps hot on his heels.

 

Sehun is laying his head on the small table Jongin draws in as he sniffs quietly. “Hey, buddy, what’s wrong?” he asks as he kneels next to the boy and lifts his head to look at him from a better angle. “Are you breathing ok?” Sehun nods as he holds his hands for Yifan to lift him. Yifan does just that.

 

“He said he was cold, Daddy,” Jongin informs him and Yifan thinks that Jongin is one smart little boy for providing that piece of information.

 

“Are you feeling sick, Sehunnie?” And Sehun nods again clutching his hands on the back of his shirt. Yifan runs his hand up and down through his small back in an effort to calm him down. If he gets too riled up, he could have an asthma attack and that’s the last thing Yifan wants. “It’s ok, sweetie. You’re ok. I got you.”

 

With Sehun firm in his hold, he grabs Jongin’s hand and goes out to the car where he has his briefcase with medical supplies. He takes the case and goes straight to Minseok’s in hopes that he’s back from dropping off Zitao.

 

“Minseok?” he calls into the house but no one answers. He might still be stuck at Yunho’s, he knows how much that man loves to talk. Sehun seems to have calmed down enough and his hands are limp on his shoulders. “I’m gonna lay you in the couch, ok buddy?”

 

Sehun’s hands hold on to his neck as Yifan tries to settle him down. “No,” he whines as he starts crying.

 

“No, buddy, it’s ok,” he whispers as he runs the back of his shirt in circular movements. “I need to check something, Sehunnie. I won’t leave you, don’t worry.” He checks on Jongin who has sat himself on one of the sofas in the living room, watching curiously at his friend.

 

“Yifan? I thought-“

 

“He’s not feeling very well,” he interrupts Minseok.

 

“Appa,” Sehun cries more when he hears the familiar voice enter the house.

 

“Hey, baby, you’re ok. I’m here. I’m here,” he repeats to him. He takes him from Yifan’s hold and the boy curls into his Appa immediately.

 

Yifan pulls his stethoscope out and checks Sehun’s breathing. Ever since Sehun started showing the signs, Yifan and Minseok have both made sure they were aware of all there was to know about how to handle any sort of situation. The same happened with Jongin’s nut allergy and now, Yixing’s disease.

 

“Did you use your inhaler, baby?” Minseok asks the boy.

 

“I don’t need it,” he answers with a sniff.

 

“His breathing is fine,” Yifan says, “I think he’s just coming down with a flu.”

 

“This means Zitao will probably come down with it soon,” Minseok sighs. “And maybe Jongin and Yixing too, and us, and–“ He groans loudly as he runs his fingers through Sehun’s hair.

 

“I only have some child ibuprofen and paracetamol,” Yifan says. “He definitely has a fever, though.”

 

“I have more stuff in my briefcase. It’s on my bedroom.” Yifan doesn’t waste another second and goes straight to the bedroom to get what he needs.

 

“Daddy?” he hears Jongin walking behind him. “Is Sehunnie gonna be ok?”

 

He can see the tears b in his eyes so he picks him up and kisses him comfortingly. “He will be, baby. Don’t worry.”

 

Jongin nods as he nestles his head on Yifan’s shoulder.

 

“Promise me you won’t get sick?” he asks as he picks the briefcase and heads to the living room.

 

“I promise Daddy.”

 

It isn’t until later that morning, when Jongdae and Baekhyun come back with a pale looking Yixing and a bag full of medicine that Yifan knows the weekend is utterly ruined. Maybe they can try again next month.

 

You never know what’s going to happen when you have kids, they so unpredictable. 

 

 

 

 

-

a/n: Oops, kids be kids. Seriously i've seen this happen and it .