Not Alone

My Worst/Best Choice

“Good work,” the producer said to both Jungmin and Chohee as they took their headphones off. The final recording had been completed and he was satisfied with the result.


Chohee cautiously came out after Jungmin of the booth. At first she peered around before retrieving her bag. The producer noticed and asked if she was alright. At first she seemed a bit hesitant.
“I think I’ll go home if that’s alright; thank you for the opportunity.”

“No problem, do you have a way to get home?”

“Yes I will manage.”

She left before Jungmin could notice. When he did it was already too late.

“Eh? What happened to her; where did Chohee go?”

“She went home.”

“She did?!” Jungmin wet his lips, breathing out loudly. Now he was the only one listening to himself “Why didn’t she say goodbye?”

His phone beeped. Speaking of Chohee she had just sent a text:

 

Had to leave sorry, thanks for the chance Park Jungmin I hope your album sells well.

 

“Wow,” he began. “This girl …” He just started to chuckle. “Ah she really is something, something special.”

He felt someone nudge him. “You seem to like her.”


Jungmin feigned bashfulness. “Is it really that obvious?”

“To us it is. But I don’t think she sees it.”

This made him think about it. How could he be any more obvious with her?


 

 

Hyungjun almost sounded like he was crying on the phone. “She’s gone, she flew back this morning.”

“Hyungjun she was here for at least a month and a half.”

“Yes but the time flew by so fast.” Jungmin rolled his eyes. His friend was now having a pity party. “I miss her Junnie. Can’t she come back now?”

“You wish. So should I come over with wine? Did you want to get drunk?”

Hyungjun replied with some indifference in his voice. “Jungmin, I try not to get drunk remember?”

“Ok then I’ll just get drunk and sleep on your couch!”

“No you can come over but no drinking. Speaking about women what happened with Chohee that time? It’s been nearly two weeks since you saw her.”

“She didn’t reply to my texts or any calls I sent. It’s a little awkward since we have to go back into the studio again on Friday. One of the sound engineers accidentally wiped the recordings off the computer.”

 

Hyungjun empathised with his friend’s situation. “Ouch, still at least you will see each other right?”

Jungmin agreed with him cheerfully. “Yeah good point I hope this time it will go a little more smoothly. Man I thought we’d made progress. We got along during the recording except for the producer but then she just left without saying goodbye. Why is she like this?”

“I wish I knew too. I think Kibum’s going to call me soon so I’d better go.”

“Alright speak to you later.”

Hanging up Jungmin lay back and let his eyes close. He needed all the sleep he could get for the next two days would be jam packed with little time for shut eye.

 


Jungmin was going to have to be quick. He had half an hour break before he had to resume practice again. It had been almost a day since he’d called Hyungjun. Dressed in grey track pants, loose red shirt with a cap and sunglasses to cover his face it was now a quick dash to the coffee shop, get a drink and back before getting caught.


He calmly waited in line. There were only a few people in the shop as it was late in the afternoon, no one who may recognise him fortunately. While he stood in the queue noticed someone sitting at a table beside the window, flicking through a magazine, a plate in front of her.


Something about her denim overall shorts, her red head, white t-shirt and black flip flops reminded him of someone he knew. Though at this moment her face was focused on what she was reading he began to become more convinced.


After getting his coffee Jungmin went over to the table. She lifted her eyes and almost dropped the magazine.
“Chohee is that you?”

“P-Park Jungmin—“

He put a finger on his mouth. “Don’t speak too loud.” Quickly pulling out the chair opposite he sat down across from her. “Wow, it is you. It’s been nearly two weeks since we saw each other last. What are you drinking?”

“It’s an iced mocha.”


“Wow me too.” He showed her the one he’d bought. “I didn’t think you had a sweet tooth.”

She nodded, sipping from the straw. Pausing she looked him over, noticing his more than casual outfit. “Are you practicing choreography at the moment?”

“On a break for another…” Taking out his phone Jungmin confirmed he had about fifteen minutes before he headed back.

“Usually I stay inside but I wanted a coffee badly.”

“I see,” Chohee answered. She put the magazine down and pushed the small plate towards him. “Would you like some carrot?”

 

He saw the sticks, carefully peeled and cut thinly. This discovery caused him to gape slightly. “Do you like carrots?”

“Umm yes I do why?” Chohee asked becoming a little worried.


“I love carrots!”

Chohee blinked while Jungmin happily took a handful and ate. He chewed with a grin. She lowered her gaze for a moment.
“Hey what are you doing?”

“Me umm I was—“


Then he saw it; the traces of a smile fading into embarrassment. She’d just been beaming.
“You like this don’t you?” He decided to poke about the opening that had become exposed.


“I umm,” she began, her face reddening a little. “Yes I do.”

“Wahoo!” He clapped his hands up above the table and then stopped in mid action. The people in the café were now watching him. Wondering what the heck he was doing.

 

Chohee covered as she chuckled. Jungmin took a long drink from the straw. He breathed out and continued to talk with her, easing into a different topic.

 



“Are you alright to get home?” Jungmin had to get back to practice and thanks to meeting Chohee he was going to be late by half an hour but he didn’t care.


While they walked Chohee assured him she could manage. “Yes its fine you should hurry back. The bus stop is just around the corner here.”

“Ok because if you had to go further than I would get my manager to take you.”


Chohee looked at Jungmin confused. “But he’s your manager so he needs to stay near you. He works for and with you so why ask him—“


“—isn’t it obvious?!” They stopped at the corner. Jungmin paused, his heart about to leap onto his sleeve. Chohee quietly watched him, anticipating the continuation of the sentence.


But he couldn’t tell her. Jungmin pushed it down. “Chohee… We’re so formal with each other haven’t you noticed? Well you are at least. Do you remember when you called me oppa that one time?”

Without having to take long Chohee agreed. “Yeah, I remember.”

“Well… This oppa here likes it. So can you call me it from now on?”

His decision to not confess would eat at him for the rest of the day. However he knew why the timing wasn’t right. Chohee became quiet, her eyes gazing at the ground. Jungmin grew afraid of another rejection.

“Chohee if you don’t want to then it’s ok.”

She shook her head. “No, I… I do want to… I want to call you oppa.”

The clouds had parted to reveal the sun. Almost like it was a holy sign from the man above. Jungmin couldn’t hide his excitement and delight.
“That’s great, that’s made me really, really happy Chohee-yah.”

Her face grew red again. She glanced down at her bag and focus on getting her phone. Grabbing it away Jungmin checked something. “O-Oppa what are you—“

Taking her hand he placed it in there. “Sorry, I was checking if you changed your number and didn’t tell me.”


Chohee looked up, closing and bobbing her before they kept moving. Jungmin walked almost shoulder to shoulder with her. She didn’t notice but he didn’t mind. What had been achieved was worth smiling about.

 



These seperators frustrate me! How do I keep them centred without changing the position of the other text? Anyway I hope we’re enjoying this story. There will be more to come.