You are (Not) the One

My Worst/Best Choice

“Jungmin I’m about ten minutes away are you ready?”


Smirking, Jungmin held the phone tucked against his ear while he opened up a jar of styling wax. “Yes, I will in another five minutes. Can you go under the speed limit?”

“Aish do you want me to get in trouble?!” Hyungjun exclaimed while Jungmin was fixing up his hair. “The road’s busy so I can’t just slow down.”

“Well then grab me some carrots I’m almost out.” He heard his friend sigh before hanging up. Pleased with his idea Jungmin put the phone down and the faucet in his sink. Rinsing off the remaining product he dried his hands before getting out the after shave.


Whistling away he patted his neck, jawline and cheeks with the aftershave, exhaling with pleasure at the smell as well as his appearance. “Show time,” he said to himself in English, going to the kitchen for a quick snack.

 

He had just finished the ramen when his door rang. “Hold on,” he went to the kitchen dropping the bowl in the sink. “Give me five minutes.”

From Hyungjun’s tone of voice one could tell he was not impressed. “I stopped at the super markets on purpose! How could I take a detour which took me three minutes and yet you’re still not ready?!”

“Sorry I was hungry,” Jungmin said opening the door. “Did you bring the carrots?” Hyungjun held the bags up.


“Two since there were on special.” Jungmin took them with a grin.


“Love you baby,” he went to the fridge, dropping them in the crisper. Hyungjun stood near the door.


“What is it that you still have to do?!”

“Clean my teeth,” Hyungjun was going to protest further but Jungmin was already in his bathroom again, humming away a song.


Hyungjun glanced at his friend sitting in the passenger’s seat. The friend who was wearing a black shirt, dark blue jeans, grey shoes and the black jacket slung over the top, the sleeves rolled up.


“You look as if you’re going to eat her for dinner?” Jungmin turned to Hyungjun, clasping a shoulder. Hyung Jun shrugged him off. “You’re going to make me crash.”

“Confidence is the most important thing for a good first impression; after that is charisma and then iness.”

“Yes your three strengths.” Hyungjun pointed out. “The girl has no idea what she’s getting herself into.”

“Don’t worry Junnie I’ll tone it down a few notches.” Jungmin leaned back in his seat. “Besides you haven’t told me anything about this girl. What’s her age? Is she sweet, or spicy? Or is she cute or y? Am I an older or younger brother to her?”

“She was born at the start of ’89 so she is younger than Maddy. As for her style How to say this hmm… She isn’t really sweet or spicy.”

Jungmin raised his eyebrows. “So she’s sour?” Hyungjun shrugged.


“Let’s just say she doesn’t fit into any of the above categories.”


“Hmm an enigma; I can work with that.”

Hyungjun indicated and pulled into a park. “We’re here.” Jungmin hopped out quickly as his friend locked up.

“Gangnam; ah that is so cliché.”

“Come on,” Hyungjun had to pull his friend’s jacket. “We’re already late, they’ll be inside.” Jungmin pulled free from Hyungjun’s grip, flipping the collar back as they walked into the club. His friend saw an intense but keen expression flicker in Jungmin’s eyes. “I know that look. Are you getting your game face on?”

“Sure am, maybe I should bust out a move.” He pointed an arm out, lightly shaking it while doing a sweep. Hyungjun couldn’t help but laugh at him.


“Good thing we’re going to a place where there’s dancing.”


They lined up to go into the club. A few people gave the pair glances as they were recognised but fortunately none of their stalkers who would be under 19 could enter.


“Wow this is nice.” The lights were hanging from the ceiling and toned down to give a bit of an ambient atmosphere. There was the bar lined with black marble, the tables and stalls to the side out of the way of the dance floor. There was also a balcony where people were standing outside, chatting to each other or leaning against the railing looking at the view.


Hyungjun nudged Jungmin in the side. “Can you see-ah there she is.” He waved over Maddy who had the blind date girl next to her. Smiling brightly they came over. Jungmin eyed her for a bit before he stopped. “Hey where am I supposed to look?” He stated, seeing Hyungjun’s glare.


Maddy was in a white dress with netting on the sleeves and the sides of her waist. The date had a bit more of a conservative appearance. Her hair was in a high ponytail she was in jeans, a leather jacket and a black top with layers of necklaces around her neck. Tilting her head he could see the glints of several piercings, two in the lobe and up the top of her ear.


Jungmin couldn’t figure it out but he whispered to Hyungjun. “She seems familiar. Do we know her?”

“Ah that,” Hyungjun put his arm around Maddy. “You two have met before, briefly anyway.”

Blinking Jungmin spun around. “Y-you’re… T-that girl from the airport, Charlotte is it?”

“It’s Chohee actually.” She stated as if it was a fact. “I didn’t expect it to be you Jungmin.”

In his mind the way she said his name was almost as if it was a dirty word. He shuddered, at the thought. Hyungjun cleared his throat, his arm interlocked with Maddy. “So shall we find a table?”

Jungmin peered behind him. “What do you think? It looks pretty full.”


Maddy pointed to one in the stalls. “Let’s go there.” They walked over and took a seat. Jungmin stood aside to let Chohee sit next to him but Hyungjun suggested she sat next to him and the guys stayed opposite.


“So what shall we eat?” Hyung Jun asked Maddy. Maddy looked at him wide eyed. “Wait… Can you not understand?”

“Well, I can’t read that well yet…” Chohee took the menu from her surprising the table. Startled Maddy asked. “Don’t you have one?”

“I can translate for you.” Chohee said in English to her.


Hyungjun exchanged glances with Jungmin. His friend didn’t know what to make of it. The two girls talked over it while the guys had their private conversation. “Has she said much since she came?”

Hyungjun shook his head. “Not really, she didn’t seem too comfortable with me but Maddy on the other hand.” He looked over his shoulder at his girl, his face brightening as he gazed at the blonde haired girl. “She seems comfortable with her.”

“Maybe it’s because she’s a girl?”

“Jungmin, what are you getting at?”

“Maybe instead of being a hater of women she’s a hater of men.” Hyungjun cuffed Jungmin on the head.


“Maybe you’re just stupid.” He retorted back. “Maddy do you want a drink?” He winked at her. With a grin she nodded.

“We’ll be right back ok?” She slipped out of the stall and went with Hyungjun, holding tightly to his hand.

 

Jungmin put his hands on the table in front of him, watching to see if his date made a reaction. It was one of the very few times where he had no idea of how they would go.


“So, Chohee, you’re twenty four now?”

Chohee shook her head. “Not until September.”

“Ah I see you really are younger than me and my members.” He murmured. She took the bottle of water they had been given just before and poured herself some. “So Chohee, do you have any talents? Are you able to bend your wrist back or impersonate someone?”

She looked at him as if he was talking like someone crazy. “No nothing like that.”
 

 “Really, eh I cannot believe that.” Jungmin’s hands lingered at his collar but he didn’t tug it. He was going to really have to try with her. “Well what about hobbies then? Do you play a sport?”

“I am alright at surfing.”

“Cool, so do you think you’ll be able to do some while you’re here for… Umm how long are you here for?”

“Four months and no I don’t think so. The waters here seem a bit flat.”

Her ability to carry on the conversation was dry as stale bread. He nodded, using his need to exhale to hide his sigh. Hyungjun and Maddy returned with their drinks. “You guys can go get something from the bar if you would like.”

Jungmin asked Chohee out of politeness. “Would you like anything?” She declined by shaking her head. “Alright I’ll be back then, where do we order?”

“Someone should be coming to take it. Do you want the steak?”

“Sure make it medium rare.” With that Jungmin left to give himself some space and a chance to think things over. He would have to confide in Hyungjun about the date when the night was over.