Never Again

My Worst/Best Choice

The four parted ways around two hours later. Chohee and Jungmin seemed keen on finishing sooner but had stayed patient for the sake of their two loved-up friends. Hyungjun dropped Jungmin off while the girls caught taxis.

“That was fun.” Hyungjun said with Jungmin just nodding. He didn’t know what else to say but just got into the car. 


Inside Jungmin's house Hyungjun strolled into the living room, almost bouncing off the walls. Jungmin made a small laugh but then opened the fridge door to grab a bottled water. The night hadn’t been that lively in his opinion and he was deflated from lack of conversation. His younger friend had no idea of the kind of night he’d had.

“So what did you think of her?” Jungmin put his water bottle back in the fridge. He flopped down onto his couch. Hyungjun didn’t leave, he stayed, waiting in curiosity.

“She’s…” He struggled to find the suitable word. “Ok.”

“Ok?” Hyungjun sighed, “Is that it? She’s just ok?”

Jungmin shrugged while on his back. “Well, yeah. What else do you expect me to tell you?”

“Come on hyung. Don’t you feel anything for her?”

“Nope,” the honesty was like being hit with cold water. “I don’t.” He sat up to give Hyungjun better attention. “I don’t know why you two thought it was a good idea to set me up with her. She’s too quiet, reserved; how am I meant to know that she’s the girl for me if she won’t even tell me her favourite colour?”

Hyungjun paused to think over what Jungmin told him. “Well… These things don’t always happen straight away.”

“Like you and Maddy?” Hyungjun winced, the blow directly at him. Jungmin turned away to grab the television controller next to him on his coffee table. “I hate to break it to you Hyungjun-ah but not everybody that goes on a blind date ends up contacting that person again.”

Jungmin turned off the television, giving a yawn. “I should go to bed. I have to be up early tomorrow. Don’t you have schedules or something?” Hyungjun shook his head.
 

“Nope, tomorrow I’m showing Maddy around Seoul. It’s the least I can do for her. However the problem is we would have to do it in a bus or car because it’s easy to get caught.”
 

The image of his friend wearing sunglasses on a tourist bus with a bunch of senile people and his girlfriend made Jungmin crack a grin. “Sounds like it would be fun. Make sure you tell Maddy to bring her Korean English dictionary with her so she can keep up. Some guides talk too fast so even the native speakers can’t understand sometimes.”

Hyungjun broke out into laughter along with Jungmin. “Thanks Jungmin, I’ll remember that.”


He noticed Jungmin seemed a little dejected about what happens. “I know this may be too soon but, what if we all hung out again and did something else other than dinner? What about a movie? Just something simple this time.”

Jungmin raised his eyebrows, intrigued by the idea. “There is one that came out recently which looks good.”

“So should we do it next week?”

“Ok, let me know further up.” Hyungjun nodded, showing himself to the door. “Goodnight Jungmin.” His friend hysterically waved from around the corner with just an arm showing before he went to bed.


 

“Hey Hyungjun where are you?” Jungmin said having to hold a hand over his mouth while talking on the phone. “It's busy at this time!”

“We will be there soon. A car crash had happened a block away from where Maddy’s staying and the traffic was piling up. fortunately it had cleared up just as we hit the highway."

Jungmin wanted to yell at him but it was the worst place. People were already starting to get interested in him. He grabbed his hood and pulled it over his head. “Aish alright just come quickly.” 

He heard someone walk up behind rather quietly. Startled Jungmin spun around. “Oh, hello Chohee I didn’t realise it was you.” Better her than a fan he figured. She was dressed in jeans like previous but this pair were ripped, and she'd let her hair down. Glancing at her striped oversized shirt with the horizontal red and black he figured that may be as girly as she got with dressing. Well maybe the bright pink high top sneakers were the limit.

“Hello Park Jungmin how are you?”

“What’s with the formal greeting? Are we strangers?” Jungmin just did not understand this girl. Chohee responded but not in a friendly manner.

“Well we aren’t exactly close.”

Jungmin would have expressed how he felt if he hadn’t seen Maddy waving at them. She walked beside Hyungjun who had a cap on. Based on appearance it was as if the two had managed to coordinate outfits. He had a baby blue shirt on and her knee-length skirt was the same shade.
“There you are.” Jungmin went to give greet Hyungjun, squeezing his hand rather hard in their handshake. “I was wondering when you would come.”

“Like I said there were traffic problems.” Hyungjun said. “Have you brought your ticket?” Jungmin took it out to prove he had. “Ok, Chohee what about you? Do you have your ticket?”

“She says she hasn’t.” Maddy said before saying hello to Jungmin.

“Ok Chohee and I will get ours, you two can get popcorn.”

“Alright that’s fine.” Jungmin and Maddy headed to the snack bar which was not as busy. “What would you like?”

“Umm what is that called here?” She pointed at the bars on the shelf.
 

“Um it is chocolate?” There was no Korean word for it. He laughed as Maddy stood there blushing from her ignorance. 


“Oh my mistake then, glad you and Hyungjun are able to assist me.”

Jungmin patted her on the head. “It’s ok, English is a hard language but I’m alright with speaking it.”


“Yes when you came last year you spoke well.”
 

Jungmin felt his chest rising from the praise. “Excellent.” They were next to order and Jungmin ended up paying for her chocolate. Maddy looked at him with her blue eyes wide.

“Are you sure?”
­­­­­­­
“Yes and you’ll do something for me in the future.”

Maddy took out her hand. Jungmin looked at it. He then shook it with a beaming smile. “What are you two doing?!” The two jumped in surprise. Hyungjun didn’t like his territory being invaded.

“Ok let’s go see the movie.” The two joined Hyungjun and Chohee. The sooner they were out of the sight of the public the better.


 

“What did you think?” Hyungjun asked Maddy as they went out of the theatre. Jungmin and Chohee quietly followed behind, neither of them talking or even paying attention to the other.

“I liked it, thank you for choosing an English film. I didn’t have to try and read the subtitles.”

Smiling he put his hand on her shoulder and quickly squeezed it. “That’s a relief. What about you Jungmin?”

“Well, it wasn’t what I would normally watch but enjoyable I guess.” Hyungjun peered around Jungmin to speak to Chohee.

“Well Chohee, what did you think? You didn’t seem to react a lot.”

She paused, glancing at him, Maddy and then Jungmin. “You want to honestly know?”

“Sure, you can tell us.”

“I found it boring.”

That got them dumbfounded. Jungmin turned to Hyungjun who then looked to Maddy for help. “Umm, that’s fine I can totally understand.” She had to say this in English; all Korean flushed from her system for the moment. “I guess the romance may have been a little full on—“

Hyungjun had to chuckle at his girlfriend’s reddening cheeks. He forgot that she was still innocent despite her age. Despite Maddy's reasonable explanation Chohee shook her head. “No I just didn’t enjoy the storyline. You knew they were going to get together.”

Jungmin mouthed to Hyungjun simply, ‘is she serious?’ and got cut off before he said more. “Well I guess it is what girls usually like so we were wrong to assume weren’t we Jungmin?”

Staring at Hyungjun Jungmin made his eyes move to the side. At first nothing happened so he had to take Hyungjun by the arm and pull him away to the toilets. When they were inisde Hyungjun pulled himself free with a jerk. “Jungmin what is your problem?! Couldn’t you just tell me you wanted to talk in private?”

“I couldn’t; you were too chummy with Miss Idealistic.”

“What does that mean?!” He glanced at a man who was watching them after just washing his hands. “Jungmin are you saying—you’re jealous?”

“Oh my goodness.” Jungmin feigned surprise, putting both hands on the sides of his face. He removed his hands, frowning. “Yes I am. You have your girl and I am happy for you. But because that I’m single you think I’m desperate is that it?! Is that why you arranged the four of us to go out again?”

“Jungmin don’t be so quick to assume.”

“Well you’re quick to deceive.” Hyungjun felt that blow straight to his ego. “Do you think I am stupid? The moment we went into the movie. The moment you urged her to sit next to me I knew! I knew that you were trying to set us up. What made you think that it would work this time?!”

Jungmin banged out his frustration on the door, startling a young man coming in. “Don’t go!” Hyungjun said to Jungmin who was going to the exit. His departure caught attention of people who started to follow him in question. Unable to go after his friend Hyungjun looked at Maddy who was alone. “Where’s Chohee?”


“She left already.” She told him touching his arm as he shook his head in annoyance. 

“Aish this was silly Maddy. I should have known better.”

Maddy nodded but her mind was elsewhere based on the distracted expression she had. “Jun I don’t think we were wrong about everything.”

Turning to her Hyungjun wanted clarification. “What do you mean yeobo?”

“Jungmin oppa doesn’t seem to like her. Chohee however… I think she likes him.”


Now Hyungjun had nothing reason to be surprised about. “Are you serious? Ah this is great, it must hurt. She must know he doesn’t like her.”

“She seems ok with it.” Maddy said half certain, half un-certain. “Or so she told me just then.”

 


Well surprise here yes? All I can say is don’t be convinced that you have it figured out from this point. Btw I’m going to update every week instead of every fortnight so enjoy. For random trivia's sake Jungmin says something which Kwanghee said to Sunhwa when they were on We Got Married (Oh my feels) good thing I'm going to include them in a fic in the future.