My Girl

My Worst/Best Choice

Jungmin struggled to shut his eyes that night which was unusual for him. He was a heavy sleeper. When he had to get up he was almost in a trance. The whole evening from the moment he’d seen her stand on the stage until she walked away. It played over and over in his head.


It not only affected his sleep but also his concentration for the next couple of days. It took about that same amount of time for Jungmin to realise what was affecting him. Its name was curiosity. Curiosity about her, the girl called Moon Chohee. He wanted to know more than just her name and age or her current place of residency.


But right now he was unable to access her and not in a disgusting context. He’d shown his lack of interest in her from the start and was now paying the price. How was he going to show her that he had been mistaken? How was he going to prove that he was willing to go slow and open up the pages from the book called Chohee?

One thing he knew was that he needed help. On the way home from a late night session in the studio he called Hyungjun in the car. “Hyungjun where are you?”

“At my place, Kibum-ah came back from Japan for a few days so we’re having dinner with Maddy.”


Jungmin felt the green eyed monster curse starting to emerge. “Wow that’s awesome. When are you and Maddy free next?”

“It depends…” Hyungjun lowered the phone to say something to Maddy. The two talked out of earshot until he spoke into phone.

“Can we do Tuesday? Maddy and I were going to go to this place I reserved but we can change it to another night if we call them now.”

“Um,” Jungmin hated the idea of being the third wheel. “Actually maybe I can come by after you guys return if that’s ok.”

“Alright so we’ll get dessert on the way home alright? Come by at nine thirty?”

“Should be fine, see you then.” Jungmin just had to make sure that he had no other schedules that would conflict with the get together. He then leaned in his seat to speak to his manager.


 

Fortunately Jungmin’s schedule didn’t end too late so he managed to arrive at Hyungjun’s home by nine forty at the latest.

“Come on in.” Hyungjun said letting his friend enter. Maddy was in the kitchen cutting up a small cake with a knife. For once her hair was up and in a loose bun. “Jungmin oppa it’s good to see you; would you like some cake?”

“Great I’m hungry.” Maddy smiled and cut a piece for Jungmin, the knife getting slightly coated in some of the white frosting.

 Hyungjun was annoyed by the kind gesture and started groaning when Maddy gave it to him. “Aish he doesn’t need so much.”

She turned to him and put her hands on his cheeks. “And do you need it?” Maddy gently pinched his cheeks. His ears started to go a little red before he took her hands away and pulled her towards him, their eyes glued together.
 

Before the two could kiss there was the sound of Jungmin deciding to clear his throat.
“Ahem, you two are cute and all I’ve told you before… But please help me with my problem. That’s why I came by after all.”
 

Hyungjun said something to Maddy quietly in which she shook her head to. Maddy gave Hyungjun him a piece of cake on a plate with a spoon. He joined Jungmin on the couches while Maddy served herself a slice almost half the size of the guys’ ones.

“So what was it you wanted help with?” Hyungjun asked as Maddy ate. “Because for all we know you just want someone to watch you for your next future failed dieting attempt.”

Jungmin had to close his mouth before he cussed his friend out. Maddy seemed a little lost from the fluent Korean but Hyungjun managed to explain in easier terms what he had said.
 

“Ok since you two seem reluctant to listen I’ll explain it in English and Korean. Can I have Chohee’s phone number?” He said the end sentence in both languages.

The two turned to each other, their faces surprised. “You want her number?”

“I thought…” Maddy struggled to say it. “… I thought you didn’t like her.”

Jungmin scratched his neck. “Yeah I thought so too. But I think I was a bit fast to say no to her.”

Maddy stood to take her plate to the kitchen, offering to bring theirs as well since they were finished. She wanted the two guys to talk. Hyungjun did not wait to get to the point.

“Are you actually interested in her?”

“How do I put it—“

“— Jungmin what are you saying?”

“I think… That with time I could maybe, possibly like her.” There was a clatter as Maddy dropped a spoon onto the floor. Mouthing an apology she disappeared behind the bench to retrieve it.

Hyungjun let out a breath. “Jungmin you always knew what you wanted. Yet why did you decide that you liked her now? Maddy and I thought that we’d ruined all chances of that happening so we called it quits.”

Jungmin nodded. “That’s what I thought too. But then I saw her, one night, up on stage, singing with all her heart. I realised then and there that I would like to get to know her better, but not on dates. More than just friends but haven’t reached the point where we’re dating yet.”

Hyungjun sat back in the couch, turning to look at Maddy who shrugged. She didn’t have any idea as to what had been talking over. “Babe come over here.” He patted a spot on the leather and she joined him.


“Jungmin says he wants to get closer to Chohee. What do you think?”
 
She raised her eyebrows and let her jaw drop in surprise. “You… You like Chohee?”

Jungmin hesitated before saying in English. “I might like her soon…”

“You’ll need her number. Hold on I’ll get it for you.” She stood up and went to her bag which leaned against a wall. Coming back she took a little while to go through the device and find Chohee’s name. It was written in Hangul after all.


“Here.” She passed it to Jungmin who got out his phone and entered in the number. “Tell her that you got it from me, in case she is worried.”

“Thanks Maddy.” Jungmin put it away. “I appreciate it. I guess I’ll text her soon.”

“No.” The two guys jumped at her response. “No you should call. It would be nicer for her… If she knew who she was speaking to that is.”

Hyungjun gave her a questioning look but Jungmin didn’t even try and ask what was going on. Obviously it had nothing to do with him.

“Ok I’ll call her and then what?”

“You said you saw her singing didn’t you?” Jungmin confirmed Hyungjun’s thought. “Well, shouldn’t you try and help her get another step closer to her goal? Why not see if there are any companies interested in her?”

It was not a bad idea. She needed a break and maybe giving her one would be the push he needed to get them closer without the help of interfering friends.

“That’s a good idea.” He glanced at the square clock on the wall. “I should head off soon. Can I grab a coffee before I go?”

Hyungjun got up this time, telling Maddy to sit. “I can make it, have a break.” She beamed at him while he clasped her chin for a moment.

Jungmin looked at Maddy when her boyfriend had gone. “It’s weird… Seeing him so happy with a girl I mean. His past ones didn’t seem to end well from what he told me.”

“I HEARD THAT!” Hyungjun yelled from the kitchen. The two started to laugh. Maddy stopped before Jungmin. She didn’t want to hurt her boyfriend’s feelings.


“It’s… Difficult sometimes; my Korean is poor and his English is ok.” Maddy began. “But, I think it helps that both of us prayed a lot before stepping into it. When I came to surprise him I honestly wasn’t sure if I should go. I talked to Kibum about it because he knows English a little better than I do with Hyungjun. However when I’m with Kibum he was like a brother, with Hyungjun it was like having a favourite place to go. I wanted to go there more even if there were other nice areas around.”

Jungmin let out a laugh and then playfully hit Maddy on the leg. “You said your Korean was poor but I understood every single word you just said!”

“Ah well.” She lowered her gaze as her cheeks got a little more crimson than normal. “That is good.” Hyungjun came back with the coffee. As he sat down he put his arm around Maddy, allowing her to scoop a little closer.



Jungmin finished his drink and was on his way. While he went to his car he took out his phone and dialled Chohee’s number. If he was ever going to do it, the time was now.


“Hello?”

Her voice sounded a little different on the line. It was deeper. Jungmin had to get a hold of himself. “Chohee, its Jungmin how are you?”


Chohee didn’t speak. For a horrible moment Jungmin imagined the beeping as the call ended. He waited, not sure what was to come.


“Ah… Yes Jungmin h-how are you?” Now he could silently breathe out in relief.

“Fine, listen I’m sorry about the other day… It was none of my business but I thought that maybe I should help.”

“I know you were being kind… I guess I’m not used to it. Guys I barely know going out on a limb to help me.” Jungmin wanted to laugh but having her misunderstand could send their progress backwards.


“Whether you know me well or not since we’re friends with those two I guess we may see each other a lot more than not.”

The noise on the end of the line surprised Jungmin. Was that a laugh? Was this the first time he would hear it? He wondered how she looked if he saw her laughing. How small her eyes would become and if you could see the corners of when she smiles.


“You’re right. Anyway I guess Maddy unnie gave you my number right? So I shouldn’t be worried then. It is really Park Jungmin.”

“Yes, umm actually I was calling you because—“


Now at the crucial moment his words failed him. He didn’t know how to say it. This was a first. When it had come to girls he had always felt certain about them. But with her he didn’t know what to expect. “You really like singing don’t you?”

“… Yes I love it.”

“Well I was wondering. Since I have an album to release in the near future… Maybe you would like to help me?”


“What would I have to do?” She asked, caution strong in her voice.

“It’s hard to explain on the phone. Why don’t you come by to the studio this weekend? I can text you the address. Would that be ok?”

He waited. If she said no then at least he knew he tried. “…Alright I will do what I can.”

“Awesome, thank you so much; I’ll be in touch. Have a good night.”

“Ah, it’s ok… You too Jungmin, see you.” He ended the call and walked back to the car with a grin. It wasn’t much but it seemed better than before. Now he would see her in her element. And she would see him in his.



Hehe what did we think? Things have taken an interesting turn yes?