Someday

My Worst/Best Choice

Clearing his throat the man lowered the papers in his hands. Jungmin sat opposite, sitting with his hands firmly clasped together. Checking the clock on the wall behind him, Jungmin realised the hand had only moved to the two after being at the twelve.

Eventually the man in the office wear, the one with the itchy throat spoke. “Well, your little tweet caused a larger reaction than expected. People are questioning the way the company’s being run and wondering if you are experiencing any scandals.”

Jungmin was appalled. “It’s nothing like that! I was just annoyed that’s all.”

“That’s not what the media is speculating.”

With a sigh Jungmin bit his bottom lip. He glanced down at his lap and then back up. “So what do you want me to do?”

“It will take about a day to clear up the rumours and the fabricated stories.” The man started to say. “Your schedules have been cancelled for the day, the next one you have is for that event you and Hyungjun will attend.”

Jungmin had almost forgotten about it. “Fine, so that is all?”

“Yes you are to sit tight and to make no public appearances. Don’t answer the door for anyone even if they say they are friends or family.”

Though he really did not want to stay trapped in his home Jungmin had no choice but to agree. It would only be for a day and maybe then he could think over the main dilemma which was him and Chohee.


After shaking hands Jungmin excused himself. His manager ended up driving him home.
“Wow, when I heard the head of Public Relations wanted to see you I got a little worried there.”

Jungmin wasn’t sure if he was joking or being serious. Leaning against his chair he just watched the landscape while his manager kept driving.

“You’re a little quiet Jungmin. Are you alright?”

“Hyung,” Jungmin started to say. “What if you liked someone but messed things up with them and then found out that they felt the same? How would you fix the situation?”

They slowed as the lights changed from yellow to green. His manager’s fingers loosened slightly on the wheel before he spoke to the musician.
“Depends on how badly I messed up. If you really wanted to be with that person but had done something to hurt them deeply then of course it would be hard for them to accept me again. It also depends on what the solution is.”

Knowing what Jungmin was asking indirectly about the manager continued. “Do you know what she needs from you?”

Jungmin nodded. “I need to tell her the truth. It’s making things so awkward with both of us trying to be friends when we both desire more.”

“Good,” his manager agreed. “Maybe being up front with her is what will break the ice for her to tell you how she feels back.”

He couldn’t be more right. Now Jungmin just had to find the right opportunity for him to just go and tell Chohee how he felt. No more hiding or denying himself, the true Park Jungmin had to emerge.



 

 

The next day during his time of reflection Jungmin thought back on a lot of things. First was how he’d been with Hyungjun when the news came to him that he was still with Maddy, a girl from a different ethnicity and culture.

Second was how he’d been so quick to dismiss Chohee as his type based on her shy nature. Third was how he’d handled their time together. In his mind he’d believed that she would read the obvious sides of attraction. Yet it seemed that his rejection of her before was still strongly etched inside Chohees’ mind. Maybe that’s why she didn’t notice.

Leaning back on the couch he got a message from his manager telling him the time he and his stylist would arrive to organise his outfit for the event on the Thursday coming which was two days away.

Speaking of Chohee he decided to send her a message. It wasn’t the confession itself.

Please let me know how you are. I hope to see you soon. Please call me or reply, oppa is so, so sorry TT_TT.

He wondered if she would cringe at his emoticon. Unfortunately he got no reply from her, none at all. This sent him into a whirlwind of despair. In desperation to reach her he called Hyungjun.

His friend was surprised when he called. “Jungmin, I thought you were a no-access person today.”

“They said I had to stay inside, nothing was mentioned about calling people.” Jungmin took his ear away as a large noise was heard over the line. “Where are you Hyungjun?”

“At the airport, Maddy’s coming over for a week.”

That was news to Jungmin. “Wow so will she come with you to the thing on Thursday?”

“That’s the plan.” Hyungjun confirmed to him. “We’re coming up with the idea that she’s going to be disguised as a stylist so my main one will have the day off.”

The idea made Jungmin merry. “Oh my goodness that’s a good one. Good luck trying to pull it off.”

Hyungjun didn’t appreciate the humour too much. “Be a little supportive Jungmin.”

“Sorry,” Jungmin apologised with a sad smile. “I’ve just been so frustrated lately I don’t know what to do anymore.”

Hyungjun breathed out while thinking. “Hmm, at least seeing Maddy may cheer you up. Oh I think that’s her I should go, I’ll see you on Thursday for the lunch.”

“Ok see you then.”

Jungmin wanted Hyungjun’s happiness so badly. The jealousy was now eating him up more than ever before. If only Chohee would get back to him.


The car ride to the place went slowly. Jungmin knew that it was just the official ceremony before the foundation was opened. It made sense why Maddy had been invited; she was going to support the most important guy in her life.

Checking himself in the rear view mirror one last time Jungmin took a deep breath and came out of the car. Cameras were in his face as he walked to the front of the building, some pesky reporters asked him about Chohee and his twitter post but he didn’t respond to any of them.

Inside the room was full of more people from the press, business men, and philanthropists and of course the staff that were assisting with drinks and refreshments. The cameramen got prepared along the sides with their reporters reading over their scripts.

He soon spotted Hyungjun who was in a buttoned up white shirt and black pants. Maddy stood close by, her hair a deep brown and she wore glasses to disguise her face. Even so she still looked stunning in the red dress she wore.


“Oppa,” she smiled brightly when he came over to them.


“It’s good to see you Maddy.” Jungmin said in a low voice so nobody snooping could overhear. He turned to his close and dear friend. “Congratulations,” they shook hands like brothers.


“Thanks I wish Kibum could have been here but I guess I’m glad you are all here.”

Jungmin was a little puzzled by what he meant but before he could ask the Head of the newly formed foundation came to the small stage to present a welcoming speech. Afterwards he then introduced Hyungjun who was the founder of ‘Big leaps’ to then talk.

Hyungjun seemed especially confident as he expressed his desires for the company as well as thanking everyone for their assistance and help in creating the foundation. Jungmin was able to push aside his main concerns to make himself smile widely for Hyungjun.

“Well done,” Jungmin hugged his friend as they all stood around for an intermission. “So next is a special presentation, videos and then you’re done.”

Hyungjun nodded. “Yes and then you can call your girlfriend and make up with her.” Jungmin shoved him hard in the shoulder.
“Could you be any louder?”

His friend winked at him. “Ah but this is payback.” Maddy just watched on, they had spoken so fast she didn’t catch a word of it.

Soon everyone had to settle down as the Master of the Ceremonies for the day came back onto the stage. “Now we’re going to play a small presentation for you with a song. Please enjoy and feel free to take pictures.”

The lights dimmed down as the overhead projector was . The video started to play as a girl walked on stage. She looked very pretty; her dress was a gold colour but not gaudy from the style. Her hair was down and in waves as well.

Jungmin looked at her; a strange twinge went down his spine. He clutched the fabric against his fitted shirt. For once he felt very self-conscious about his appearance. The shirt wasn’t skin tight but it was a black V-neck still.

The girl lifted her microphone up slowly. It was almost an eerie similarity to what Jungmin had seen someone else do. But he didn’t think much of it. And then she started to sing, her voice low but gentle against the backing track.

Everything made sense now. Turning he whispered to Hyungjun with wide eyes. “Is that Chohee?”

Hyungjun nodded slowly, eyes on Maddy who was at the side. “Yeah I invited her to sing here. Since her last opportunity went into the trash I wanted to give her another chance.”

Jungmin felt his words prick him hard like being stabbed with a kitchen knife. Hyungjun must have felt bad for Chohee and learned what his team member had done. Their tiff could wait. Because as soon as Chohee was finished he would go to her and tell her for once and for all, why he did what he did.

And leave the rest up to fate.

 

According to my plotline this story is almost over. I hope we’re ok with that Triple S’s. Until then keep on commenting and reading. And this is the song she sang by Younha.