Beautiful

My Worst/Best Choice

Jungmin saw his phone ring before it started playing the ringtone. After seeing the ID he groaned. It was the last person he wanted to speak to.  But he had rejected the call already so this time he accepted in case they didn’t give up.


“Hyungjun I don’t want to hear what you have to say--”

“--so you really are not going to talk to me about what happened?”

Jungmin couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Did Hyungjun call him four times before to just say that?! He may as well have texted. Preparing for what could be a long talk Jungmin leaned against the car window.

“We can be friends but that’s it ok?”

“Good better than to be that then complete strangers—“

Jungmin just sighed. “--is that all you wanted to say? I reach the studios in about five so hurry up!”

“Ok I’ll speak to you later. I have some places to be too.”

“Cool maybe you me and Maddy can hang out sometime soon.”

“Sounds good Jungmin, see you.”

About five minutes later if not more he was getting out of the car, putting on his sunglasses to hide his bare face for a quick walk into the building. Fans on standby managed to snap pictures so he lifted a hand to casually wave. It would satisfy most and displease few.


When he was having a break Jungmin’s manager about the phone call. “Who was Hyungjun talking about?”

Jungmin accepted the water handed to him and twisted the lid off. “No one in particular; just a girl I went on a double date with twice.”

“Ah so you haven’t called her?”

“Hyung it’s been about a week and a half since I saw her. If I was meant to call then I’m in trouble.”


His manager nodded while Jungmin gulped some water. “Are you hungry? Did you want anything?”

“I’m fine for now. When do I have to attend the fashion show?”


“That starts at seven pm.” Jungmin took another drink, nodding with his cheeks full. He swallowed.

 

“Alright then, I still have about five hours before I have to change.” He placed the bottle down on the table next to him. “Forget what I said hyung. I don’t want the fans getting the wrong idea.”

“It’ll get out even if I keep my lips shut. But you have my word.” Jungmin patted him on the head like a puppy dog which flustered his manager. Like he told his manager to do, he too would forget about Chohee and move on.
 

 

“This is where you’ll be sitting.” Jungmin was shown to a seat at the front right next to the cat walk. He had changed into his smart attire; a white shirt, the top button undone, a blue blazer, grey jeans and black slip on shoes.

Jungmin quickly sat as the show was about to start. This was his last schedule for the day and then he could go home and do whatever he wished.

 

The show started as expected, flashing lights as the tall men and women strutted down in the designer garments. Jungmin was going to be doing the same for this label soon after the dispute was over.


Time passed by quickly and everyone went to have drinks in the lobby. Jungmin got his phone to text his manager. ‘Going to have a glass and then I’ll be out soon.’


He casually talked with the guests, most of designers or entrepreneurs with a few famous faces such as himself mixed in to the blend.
 

“We’ll wait for the verdict and then give you a call.” A lady in a business suit said, putting away in her satchel the paperwork he had spent several minutes signing just before.

 

“Sure, I look forward to it. Have a good night.” Jungmin finished the last of his wine, put the glass down and dismissed himself.

 

His ride home hadn’t arrived. Checking the time on his phone it seemed that the night was still young. Without hesitation he decided to walk around. Music streamed from the end of Rodeo Street. Maybe he could watch a few acts before leaving.


The source of the tunes turned out to be coming from a small stage set next to café Mui Mui. A yellow banner hung above, two speakers on both sides while a man was speaking excitedly into a microphone. Because of the large crowd Jungmin couldn’t quite hear what he said but it was the names of the next ‘something’s’.


Seeing the writing on the banner closer he realised that it was a singing contest. He quickly moved closer to see. Standing at the edge he saw the next contestants, a guy and a girl were already up there, holding their microphones, waiting for their cue.


Jungmin paused, wanting to bite the corner of his lip. Why did that girl look familiar? Her hair was in a plat and from where he couldn’t see her face clearly but the way she dressed reminded him of someone he knew. It had to be a coincidence.


The music began. It was a familiar tune to Jungmin; the song had come out rather recently. But it required a few high and long notes so he wondered how they would manage. Soon he would learn whether he had been mistaken or not because the girl began to sing.


It feels like, I’ve dreamed for a long time.

For a while; I’ve wandered and wandered.
As if a promise we’ve made four seasons ago.
We’re standing face to face, just like that day.


She held the tune and sang with emotion. As the chorus crept in Jungmin knew that to not let the crowd down she would have to keep up the feel and add more power in her voice.


Those beautiful stories that we wrote down together.
Those eternal promises that we prayed for at that time.
All come back to me one, by one.
And I don’t think my heart can take it.
I’ve even restrained myself at the thought of you.

 

At the high note she held it. She had higher voice than the original singers’ but the song didn’t get affected.

How has your one year been?

Now he couldn’t help but gape. Where had she been hiding? Why wasn’t she signed to a record label? After she sung her part the girl lowered the microphone, her eyes gazing nowhere in particular while looking slightly nervous.


All the muscles in his body froze with that disbelief. He hadn’t been sure but now he was. It was her, she held the same gaze from the first time they’d been together.

He had been listening to Chohee. Chohee, the shy girl who would sing in front of strangers yet not look him in the eye. All of that had changed.


The male lifted his microphone. His voice was not as strong but he couldn’t be considered a weak singer either.

For a long time, I’ve been living, having forgotten of you.
For a while I thought I was doing fine.

However I started to realise it as time passed by.
That I am nothing without you.
 
At that time, if only we had been a bit more mature.
If only we knew how we would be right now.
I have no confidence in overcoming these endless regrets.
So I’ve had to just repress them.
One year has passed like that.

 

The audience was transfixed on them and he couldn’t walk away without hearing the rest of the song. He wanted to see how she ended after seeing her begin.

Why she was more open here than in person. Why she wanted to sing in the first place. Why she was singing with some guy he’d never seen before. It was not just that, he didn’t know why but hearing her sing made him feel weird; a good weird. She sung the next line after the male’s solo verse and chorus.

\Could your feelings be the same as mine?


Will you give me another chance?

I know now that we can never part from each other.
The one person I love and love again.


The female part required a long note. Jungmin had to hold his breath but fortunately wasn’t disappointed. Chohee managed it like a professional, the audience loving every second of it.

I wish we could go back to our first days.


To the beautiful, happy and loving days.


 Those heart-breaking stories and vain arguments.

Just bury all of that now. And promise that we won’t take them out again. No matter how many seasons pass.

And how many years go by.

I hope that we won’t meet like today again.


With the end came the cheering applause while they bowed and went off stage. “Wow wasn’t that something? That’s it for the performances tonight. Let’s bring them all up on stage once again.” The acts appeared on stage, standing behind the speaker.

Jungmin watched as all the soloists and the other duet team as well as Chohee’s all got cheers for them which determined the winning act. It ended up being an underground rapper named Argon. He thanked the crowd when he received a meagre 50, 0000 won.

 

Even though they hadn’t gotten along as such Jungmin still felt bad for Chohee. Though she had concealed it well Jungmin imagined she’d be disappointed. Maybe he could comfort her, tell her he thought otherwise and that she was really good. But the pair had disappeared.





Jungmin shuffled around the crowds, peering about looking for her. But she was no longer on Rodeo Street. Standing there like a lost boy all he could do was walk back down the other end and hope that she was there.

Coming out from under the archway he glanced down both ends. He just picked one end and started walking down it; picking up the pace when he saw them. But they appeared to be arguing. Far from the image he had in his head.

“-we agreed that you would mellow down the vocals so I could show what I have got!”

Chohee shook her head. “I never said I would. That was something you had decided yourself!”

“You didn’t even want to enter in the first place!”

“I only said I would just to make you happy!” She let out a frustrated breath. “You don’t even need the money. You work a decent job.”

“Yes but I owe my girlfriend!”

“Whose fault is it that she gives her money to a boyfriend that spends all his earnings on drinks?!”

The guy grabbed her shirt. “Say that again!” He hissed, lifting a hand near her cheek. Jungmin hurried over and grabbed his arm. The guy turned his head.

“Let her go right now.” Jungmin took his hand away giving him a chance to consider his options. The guy spat at him.

Wiping his face Jungmin stepped and Chohee was released. The look on her face was unreadable. Either she felt horrified to see him or surprised that he had come out of nowhere and to her rescue.


“Piss off.” The guy said, shrugging aggressively before storming away.


Chohee breathed out, her shoulders dropping from relief. She looked up at him, saying nothing with but a lot with her eyes. Jungmin lowered his head a little so she would hear him speak softly. He was already starting to get attention for his noble act.

“That guy; who was he?”

“He was just a friend.” Chohee said and then added. “Not that you would even care.”


The same cold words like before. Every one of them pin pricks. Jungmin wanted her to elaborate however she was already walking off in a huff, pushing her hair behind her ears. Breathing out he checked his surroundings. There were more people than before. Taking it as a warning signal Jungmin hurried back to the pick-up spot, calling his manager urgently.




Ouch, Chohee packs a punch I’d say. I was meant to update yesterday but long story short I ended up doing it for a different fic (I have way to many stories to do). Thanks for reading and this is the song Chohee and the jerk sung. Yeah I'm aware the seperator is in a wrong place but i'm too tired to fix it.