Prologue

I Wish You Were Here

Prologue; 

                  the past 

Image

» "Gather closer in for a photo!" Pookie exclaims, waving at my class to get tighter. I look over to my side to see Doyoon grin at me, gesturing me to his side.

Out of everyone at school, I liked Doyoon the best. He's been my best friend since kindergarten. When I needed a blue crayon, and all were missing, he managed to find me one. (I personally like to say that he hid them all because there were 20 blue crayons found under his cubbie the next week but he always denies it and says it was a pure coincidence). I grew up with him by my side - as a best friend, a brother, a shoulder to lean on.

Doyoon slings an arm around me, throwing up a peace sign as we both smile at the camera, being perfectly happy with where we were. "Okay, everyone say 'summer'!" Pookie directs from behind the camera.

"SUMMER!"

Image

»   "Today was a fun last day of school," I say, laying down on my back, grinning. I pull the blanket up to my chin, cuddling into the covers as I stared at my phone screen, watching Doyoon shuffle across the room. It was 1AM but Doyoon had called me on Skype anyways, claiming that he already had missed me.

"It was, wasn't it?" Doyoon replies, smiling back as he crawled into bed.

I sigh, closing my eyes as I soak in my thoughts. "I'm glad the summer is here."

He lays down in bed, holding onto his phone as he says, "me too."

"We'll have lots of fun this summer, won't we, Doyoon-ah?" I asked, peeking at him as I opened my eyes again.

He pauses, hesitation in his eyes. "Of course, Lisa. Don't we always?" He finally answers as he snuggles his face into his pillow, keeping his eyes still on the screen.

I laugh, giving him a small nod. A yawn escapes past my lips and as much as I want to stay up to talk to Doyoon, my eyes won't cooperate. "I'm dead tired. I'm going to go to bed," I said, yawning as I rubbed my eyes.

"Okay, goodnight, Lisa." He gives me a salute which makes me grin, waving my hand at the screen. "Bye bye!" The screen goes blank and I smile, turn off my phone and close my eyes, hoping for a nice dream.

Image

»    The next morning, I awake feeling groggy and half asleep as I trudge out of bed. I pull my feet along the foot, rubbing my eyes as I entered the washroom, blinking several times to get my vision to clear up. After cleaning myself up, there's a thump against the front door. I glance at my clock. 12:04. Must be the mail. My parents were already at work and my two older sisters, Jamie and Sabrina were probably at school. Thank god my school ended early.

I yawn for what seems like the fifteenth time as I make my way downstairs, noticing a pile of mail by our door. I walk over and pick up the handful, going through the envelopes even though I knew I wouldn't be getting any - wait a second, what's this?

A white envelope with my name written across it in neat, familiar printing is in my hands. I hesitate to open it but throw the other envelopes on the kitchen counter before ripping it open.

Dear Lisa,

I'm really sorry that I don't even have the confidence to tell you face to face. I don't think I would have the guts to. First off, you've always encouraged me to follow my dreams and I thank you for that. "You can't accomplish your dream if you don't try to, Doyoon-ah," you'd always say. So, I have done exactly that. I am trying to follow my dreams. 

By the time you read this, I would already be on the plane with my suitcase and bag. Please don't try and find me. You'll make saying goodbye harder. But don't worry, my parents know where I am. But I have also made them promise not to open the door if you come knocking. I know how easy it is for them to be convinced and I also know how you can be persuasive. I'm sorry, Lisa. I really am.

Please don't be mad.

We'll see each other again. I promise.

Yours truly, Doyoon.

Doyoon…was gone? I raced outside, running down the block to Doyoon's house. Surely this was a mistake. A joke. He was playing a joke on me. He always did pranks all the time. I don't see why he wouldn't now.

I throw myself against the door, knocking loudly, not caring who heard or saw. "Mrs. Jang! Mr. Jang! Open up, it's me! Lisa!" I'm on the verge of tears. No. Not like this. "Mrs. Jang! Mr. Jang! Please."

There's no answer.

I haven't heard from him since. It's been three years. Not one letter. Not one phone call. Not even a text.

Image

»     Summer had rolled around again, ending off grade ten. The air was filled with excited chatter about summer plans, school gossip and future parties. Laughter rung in my ears, surrounded by happiness now that school was out. Sunrays were shining in the clear sky as I exited the school, spreading my arms wide. "Ah, summer has arrived yet again!" I exclaimed, grinning.

"You have no idea how badly I've wanted this day to come," Bella groaned, sighing in relief. "Finally, the fricking school year has ended."

I laughed, nodding as I hooked arms with her as we left the school grounds. "Now that summer is here, do you know what this means?"

She grins, looking over to me. "Fanmeeting?"

I nod, excited. "Seventeen is having one this weekend."

"Perfect. It'll be the perfect way to start off the summer." She stares towards the sky again, giving a excited sqeaul. "We'll have lots of fun this summer, won't we, Lisa?"

I blink, the words sounding more familiar then they should.

"We'll have lots of fun this summer, won't we, Doyoon-ah?"

"Of course, Lisa. Don't we always?"

I shake my head, clearing my thoughts before looking over to Bella again and nodding, my hair flying all over the place. Unlike someone, I knew how to keep promises. Besides, the past was best left in the past.

Image