8.

Friend-zoned?!

Chaptereight.

"What class do you have next?" Chaeri asked Sooyoung as the bell rang. 

"Math." Sooyoung groaned as she picked up her bag.

"Gross, call you later?" Sooyoung nodded and Chaeri left ahead of her. Sooyoung slung her bag over her shoulder and walked out of the classroom when she collided into someone's broad chest. 

"Sorry!" She exclaimed, bowing immediately. 

"Sooyoung?" A familiar voice make her look up.

"Oh? Chanyeol?" She straightened herself and smiled at her second best friend.

"Hey." He casually said before flashing her a smile. 

"You headed to class?" He nodded. 

"What class?" He asked, leaning against the lockers. 

"Math. You?" He grinned. Sooyoung smiled back and they walked side by side to their math class together. 

"So, found anyone you liked in school?" Chanyeol asked, making Sooyoung chuckle.

"It's the second day of school, I don't think anyone has caught my eye yet. Besides, there are way more attractive girls in school. What guy in the right mind will like me?" Sooyoung scoffed. I do! I like you. Chanyeol nodded.

"How about you? Has anyone caught YOUR eye?" She eyed him jokingly and he laughed.

"Nope, I plan to stay single." Sooyoung gasped dramatically.

"You can't be serious. You know there's a school dance, don't you?" 

"That doesn't mean I'll go. I can just stay home and-"

"NO." Sooyoung screamed into his ear, causing people to stop and stare. Chanyeol shushed her and she smiled happily.

"Sorry, it's just. It's a school dance. Promise me you'll find someone?" Sooyoung pleaded, throwing in a pout. Chanyeol smiled and patted her head as they sat down.

"I'll try." He mumbled. 

 

The bell rang, signalling the end of class. Sooyoung waved goodbye to Luhan and reluctantly went to the front of the school to meet Maera, Hana and Eunji. She unconsciously checked her hair and blazer when Maera called her over. She put on a smile and walked towards her.

"Hi." She greeted. Maera smiled and Hana and Eunji walked over towards the both of them.

"Ready to go?" She asked. All three girls nodded and they walked towards Maera's car. 

"Where are we going though?" Sooyoung asked as she climbed in the back of the car. 

"To the seamstress then shopping, silly. Don't you see? You're one of us now, and our uniforms are altered specially for us. If you're going to be one of us, you need to wear your uniform like us and dress the part." Maera informed, checking her lipstick in her frontview mirror before starting the engine. Sooyoung nodded and quietly sat in the car as they made their way towards the mall.

"So, how exactly do you guys wear your clothes?" Sooyoung whispered to Eunji as they walked behind Maera. 

"Maera is into fashion so she'll see what style matches you the most and ask the seamstress to alter your uniform accordingly." 

"Won't we get in trouble?" Hana smiled, amused at Sooyoung's many questions.

"As long as you're Maera's friend, you're safe." 

"Stop talking, losers." Maera snapped, turning her head to face them. Eunji and Hana nodded.

"Sunye-ssi, I'm back." Maera smiled at the lady at the counter. 

"Ah, Maera. What can I do for you today?" Sunye asked, smiling widely and nervously at Maera. Maera looked at Sooyoung and pointed at her. Sooyoung quickly handed Sunye her other sets of uniforms. 

"Her uniform. I want it to be altered." Sunye nodded and walked up to Sooyoung before taking her measurements. 

"What do you want me to alter then?" Sunye asked politely, avoiding eye contact with Maera completely.

"I want you to make her skirt a little bit shorter, add in an S at the bottom left hand corner of the skirt with that special thread you have, remake it. Make it less heavy and I want the outer color to be blue. For the vest, put the same S but around the left area, okay?" Sunye quickly scribbled on what Maera requested and nodded. 

"When do you need it by?" She stumbled over her words, Maera raising an eyebrow at her.

"In 4 hours, is that doable?" Sunye widened her eyes. 

"B-but the stitching-" 

"Is. That. Doable?" Maera asked again, emphasizing on each word as she spoke.

"Yes, ma'am." Sunye bowed. Maera smiled in satisfaction and turned to face the girls.

"Let's go shopping." She clapped her hands together and smiled widely at her three friends who were watching in silence. They nodded and followed quietly behind them. Sooyoung turned around to look at Sunye who was rushing to and fro in her shop to get Sooyoung's uniform altered. All this for a uniform? Ridiculous. 

"You look like the kind of girl that seems to fit anything." Maera eyed Sooyoung from top to bottom. 

"You're okay with any color, right?" Maera asked. Sooyoung nodded.

"Great, get your credit card ready, because we're giving you a makeover." Sooyoung frowned.

"You didn't even look into my closet yet, Maera. I have many black clothes, what's wrong with them?" she asked. Maera scoffed.

"With your hair unkempt and frizzy and how you don't care about anything, it shows that you'll throw on anything without thinking if they match first." Maera retorted, shocking Sooyoung. She's right, I don't really care about anything.

"I'll ask my parents." Maera rolled her eyes while Sooyoung took out her phone and dialled her parent's number. 

"Hi Mom, is it okay if I go shopping?" 

"What? Oh, shopping? Sure. You have money, don't you?" 

"Yes." 

"Alright. So glad you've decided to upgrade your closet. You've been wearing the same clothes for a year-" 

"Thanks Mom, bye." Sooyoung ended the call before her mother could finish her sentence.

"Alright, let's go." Sooyoung mumbled, sliding her phone back into her pocket. Maera nodded and grabbed Sooyoung's wrist before dragging her into Forever 21.

"Now, you don't want to wear the same clothes every day, so I think we'll be doing a lot of shopping. Plus, I have clothes that I bought from Paris last year that I can't fit into so I'll hand them over to you tomorrow when you come over." Maera told Sooyoung as she pulled out a pair of black high waisted shorts, a white crop top, a leather jacket, black shoes, a hat and a black fringe bag. 

"Now, this is what will look good together if you're feeling rebellious. You can mix and match with the other clothes you have in your closet but you MUST send a picture of your clothes to me in case we clash or you're wearing a no-no." Sooyoung nodded. Being popular sure was challenging. Maera shoved Sooyoung's clothes into Hana's hands and walked on to another section of Forever 21. 

"If you're going for simple, go with a pullover, shorts or skirts and heels." Maera instructed, taking out a grey knitted pullover and a brown skirt along with white heels. Sooyoung nodded and once again, Maera handed her clothes to Hana.

"Dresses are alright but make sure you have a cardigan. If you want to wear jeans, you can wear any graphic t-shirt. Shoes and accessories are super duper important so let's go to the accessory section." Maera said, handing a cardigan, jeans and a few graphic t-shirts to Hana before strutting towards the accessory corner.

"Gold rings, silver rings, necklaces, bracelets. All of them." Maera said, picking up almost every different kind of accessory available on the racks. Sooyoung's eyes widened at the amount of clothes they had taken. It was surely going to cost her a bomb.

"I don't think you should take that many clothes, Maera. My parents would kill-" 

"Don't worry, I'm buying all of this." Maera assured, winking at her.

"What?!" 

"I'm serious. Take it as a welcoming gift." Before Sooyoung could refute, Maera walked over to the counter and paid for all the clothes.

"All you need to do is carry your clothes. Aren't I nice?" Maera proudly stated. Sooyoung smiled and agreed. She had to admit, Maera was really nice. She didn't know why Maera was giving her a makeover but she was delighted and thankful. For years Sooyoung wanted to change her appearence but she just didn't know how so technically, it was a good thing she made friends with Maera.

 

Once Sooyoung got home with her hands full of shopping bags, she immediately called Chaeri to tell her the day's events.

"She's really nice, Chae. Why do you want to get revenge on her?" Sooyoung happily said, looking through all her brand new clothes. 

"Don't be fooled so easily, Sooyoung." 

"Are you going to tell me what else happened when you girls were young?" Sooyoung asked as she sat on her bed.

"Well, when we were younger, we had this book of secrets where we would write dirty little secrets about ours and other classmates and whatsoever. Maera always kept it and when she became popular, her new popular friends got hold of the book and the next day at school, they had exposed every single bit of our secrets. We became total losers right after that. It took us a long time to get back to being average and ever since then, we've been thinking of ways to get back at her." 

"Ouch." Sooyoung mumbled. She was in total shock. 

"And that's where you come in, Sooyoung. We need you to avenge us." 

"What?" 

"You're the only one that has managed to get into Maera's clique on your first impression. It wasn't right for her to expose our secrets like that. Sooyoung, please." Chaeri begged. Sooyoung could imagine Chaeri's little eyes looking up at her with much sadness. She sighed.

"Fine. If it gets overboard, I'm out." 

"Thank you, Sooyoung. You're the best friend ever."


Short update for tonight! This story has a little bit of Mean girls in it so don't be surprised if you see certain things from the movie that appear here ;-) Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Much more juicy things are coming up, so stay tuned! Remember to subscribe! xoxo