13.

Friend-zoned?!

Chapterthirteen.

Sooyoung glanced over at Kai's bedroom. The curtains were drawn and she couldn't see or hear anything that hinted he was in the bedroom. She sighed. 

Is he angry because I told him I liked Sunbae?

The doorbell rang and Sooyoung rushed down in high hopes it would be her best friend. Sure enough, it was. He gave her a weak smile and she nodded in response.

"Ready to go?" he asked. She nodded and closed the door behind her, not forgetting to bid goodbye to her parents. As the two walked, silence filled the air. 

"Are you better now?" Sooyoung abruptly spoke up. 

"Yeah, sorry about last night. Rough day." He mumbled. 

"Oh, sorry I was being insensitive. I should've known." Kai suddenly felt a pang of guilt hit him in the face. 

"It wasn't your fault, don't apologize." He smiled at her and she smiled back.

"But, you're serious about liking Seyong sunbae?" he added on, scratching the back of his neck. 

"Ah, I think I do." She smiled, remembering how much fun they had the day before. 

"You think..." He whispered, looking down. 

"The bus is here." Sooyoung grinned, pulling his arm. 

Once they reached school, they both parted ways to join their respective cliques; Sooyoung joining Maera and friends while Kai joining the rest of the EXO members.

 

"She's here." Hana mumbled to Maera as Sooyoung approached them.

"Hey guys." Sooyoung quietly greeted them. 

"What's this news about you and Seyong?" Maera asked, crossing her arms.

"W-what?" Sooyoung stuttered, completely caught off guard.

"You're dating a SENIOR and you didn't tell us?!" Hana shrieked, a wide smile on her face.

"We're not exactly dating.." Sooyoung mumbled, rubbing her hands together. The day was colder than any other days and it just so happened that she didn't bring her gloves. 

"Who cares! A senior! A hot one!" Hana jumped up and down, ecstatic. 

"Never knew you had it in you." Maera smiled, placing a hand on her shoulder. 

"Where is your boyfriend anyway?" Eunji asked, looking around. Sooyoung shrugged, she hadn't checked her phone since she woke up. 

"I SEE HIM! SEYONG SUNBAENIM!" Hana screamed at the group of soccer boys entering the school gates, Seyong the center of attention. He looked at them and Hana enthusiastically pointed at Sooyoung before shoving her forward. Feeling all eyes on her, she bowed to him with a small smile. Seyong chuckled and strolled over to her. 

"Hey." He said. 

"H-hi." she mumbled, her cheeks turning red.

"Seems like everyone knows about us, hm?" He smiled at her and she nodded, avoiding his gaze.

"Sorry, my friends...they're crazy." She chuckled, still rubbing her hands together to keep them warm. Seyong noticed her pale hands and took of his own gloves and held it out to her. She cocked her head to the side and he chuckled.

"Take it, your hands are freezing." 

"No, it's alright, you need them too." 

"Nah, take them." He insisted and she took the gloves reluctantly. Everyone squealed and cooed at the sight. 

"Thanks, sunbae." She smiled, and he patted her head.

"I'll see you later, okay?" she nodded and he ran back to his friends. Sooyoung looked at the gloves on her hands and couldn't help but smile to herself as she wandered back to her friends.

"How sweet!" Hana squealed.

"You guys are so-" 

"Can I borrow Sooyoung for a moment?" Kai interrupted, placing an arm around Sooyoung's shoulder. Maera's expression changed immediately upon seeing the skinship. 

"Go ahead." Maera mumbled, rolling her eyes. Kai pulled Sooyoung towards EXO and she frowned.

"What?" She snapped.

"Are you and Sunbae dating?" Kai asked, 12 pairs of eyes on her.

"No." 

"Sure looks like it." Chanyeol scoffed, looking away.

"Why are you all so sensitive? I can look after myself. Besides, Sunbae is nice. He won't hurt me or anything." 

"You barely know him." Kai retorted.

"Neither do you!" Sooyoung yelled. Kai looked at her in disbelief. Did she just yell at him? Luhan watched his two friends glare at each other. Sooyoung rolled her eyes and stormed off back to Maera's table. 

"Relax, Kai. Sunbae is a good guy, he hasn't broken any hearts yet, so don't worry." Luhan assured, patting his friends back as they watched Sooyoung's retreating figure. 

 

"Sooyoung!" Seyong grinned happily as he spotted Sooyoung walking with Eunji. She looked at him, waved goodbye to her friend and ran over to him.

"Hey." She smiled. 

"Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to have lunch with me today?" Sooyoung thought for a moment before nodding. 

"Let's go." Seyong smiled, offering a hand to her. Kai watched them, eyes green with jealousy. 

"Yah, let's go." Kai snapped at D.O.

"Where?" 

"Wherever they're going." he mumbled, eyes set on Seyong and Sooyoung.

"Isn't this called stalking?" D.O asked boredly.

"No, we just so happen to be here too." Kai mumbled.

"But we're following them?" D.O grumbled again. Kai glared at him and D.O sighed, thinking to himself that his friend has lost it.

The pair approached a small cafe, talking and laughing loudly, full of joy and filled with young, teen love. Meanwhile, Kai and D.O followed closely behind, making a fool out of themselves by hiding behind strangers as they attempted to remain inconspicuous. 

"Ah, you're okay with hamburgers, right?" Seyong asked, embarrassed. Sooyoung nodded as she took a bite out of her burger, a goofy grin on her face.

"You know, I never thought of you as someone who would go out with someone as average as me." Seyong chuckled, nervousness written all over his face. 

"Eh? Why not? It's not like you're an obsessive stalker who's out to keep me in his secret lair, right? Besides, I had fun yesterday." Sooyoung replied, taking a bite out of her hamburger. Seyong stared at her with his eyes wide, and his mouth agape. He's never had a girl give him a proper reason about why they went out with him before, and the fact that he has never seen a girl eat a burger that aggressively before. 

Sooyoung felt Seyong's stare and looked up at him with a smile on her face. In that moment, Seyong felt his heart jump out of his chest, or it should have at least. This girl was open about the way she felt, and couldn't care less about her image as she chomped down a burger without making a fuss about how much weight she'd gain.

"Well I did too. Thanks, for agreeing to come out with me again today." Seyong grinned back at her, his heart still pounding against his chest. 

Just a table behind, sat Kai and D.O desperately trying to eavesdrop on the pair's conversation. Well, it was mostly Kai doing the eavesdropping while D.O ate his own burger. Kai let out a sigh of frustration as he slumped back down in his seat. 

"Would you give it a break and just eat your burger? I heard it's best eaten hot." D.O nagged, unwrapping the packaging of Kai's burger. He crossed his arms and glared at D.O.

"I can't make out a single thing they're saying!" 

"Look, it's already dumb enough we're stalking our only female friend while she's on her date, what do you think she'll say if she finds out we also know what they talked about?" D.O argued back, waving Kai's burger in his face. Kai snatched the burger and took a bite out of the burger. He knew D.O only meant well, but he still remained mad. Was the date going well? Were they going to stay out the whole night?

Kai was met with different emotions all at the same time. He was glad that his best friend was dating, but he somehow felt angry that she was dating too. Was it because he was afraid of being replaced as Sooyoung's best friend? Or was he just protective of her, since she never hung around other guys before? Maybe he was just afraid that she'll forget about him with all this attention she's been receiving.

Or maybe... just maybe he felt a tinge of jealousy because deep down, he knew that no one should be with Sooyoung. No one but him.  


Four years of a hiatus was too long, wasn't it? I'm back! But with a different angle for this story. I spent the past few nights thinking about how to continue this story from the roadblock I wrote for myself and I thought that the best decision was to remove some chapters and rewrite them because there were soooo many subplots to cover I figured I better stick to one first! I promise not to make this fanfic painfully long, but with all the character developments to cover, I might actually break that promise >< 

Nonetheless, I hope you guys enjoy this *updated* chapter :)