Box #24

Love Box

 

Jiyong went to see In Young the next day asking for Minji’s number. He already cooked up dozens of reasons he can possibly give In Young only to end up with, “I really need to talk to her about something very important.”

 

Jiyong finally got Minji’s number and wasted no time contacting her but couple of times he called they were all routed to a voice mail. 

 

“Minji-ah, what’s wrong?” Chae rin asked. 

 

“My phone’s battery just died. Weird, it was fully charged 30 minutes ago. I should get myself a new one by end of today,” she said putting her now useless phone down, turning her full attention to her sister’s piece.

 

“Well, what do you think, maknae, what do you see?” she asked her sister about the last piece she was working on the last week for the spring exhibit.

 

“I like the colors! Wait, I see boxes, everywhere, and I see one, what’s that?” Minji asked herself and focused some more on the painting to get a better view of the image that is floating before her very eyes as she stared deeply into it.

 

She gasped and exclaimed, “Unni, there’s a hand of a child with a butterfly swathed in spring colors landing on it. This is awesome, how did you do this?”

 

Minji hugged her sister and told her the artwork should go as the centerpiece of her spring exhibit.

 

“Minji, I need your help,” Chae rin later said to Minji. 

 

“What is it, Unni?”

 

“Take me to a good salon, I think it’s time I dye my hair back to black,” she said. 

 

A day before the opening of Faith’s exhibit, a black envelope with letters engraved in gold and marked urgent was sent to Jiyong’s office and received by his trusted secretary. 

 

Kate politely knocked on the door and handed him the envelope. 

 

Jiyong took a quick look at the envelope and opened it not exactly sure what it was. The invite was for an opening of another art exhibit that will be staged at the Total Museum of Contemporary Arts tomorrow, a Saturday at 6 o’clock in the evening. A piece of paper was attached to the invite with a typewritten note, “I’d like to invite you to come see this. I rarely go but I hope to see you there and probably join me for a few critics. – Faith”

 

After reading the note, Jiyong shuffled the paper in and took the card. He then hurried out of his office leaving a quick, “Kate, I’m getting off early today, if anything urgent comes up, my blackberry’s open.”

 

 

Jiyong headed to The Beanery intending to find Faith and speak with her. The Autumn Rain, the butterfly and the boy just seem to be so much of a coincidence he refuse to simply accept it as is. 

 

When he reached The Beanery, he went straight to her spot: a different woman was sitting there. He went to the counter and once again faced Seungri. 

 

Seungri must have seen the grim determination on his face that any quip or smart- answer he knew left his mind. 

 

“Has she been here?” he asked Seungri point blank. Seungri already know who the “she” he was referring to.

 

“No, hyung, Faith hasn’t been here for a week now,” 

 

“Do you know where I can find her?”

 

Seungri is well aware there’s only so much he can do and so much he knows. The one thing he knew for sure is what Chae rin appreciated about him is that he got her back and she can trust him. Reminding himself of that made him answer, “No, I don’t. She just comes here whenever she pleases.”

 

Jiyong drove home, frustration eating him. He again tried Minji’s number. He got connected and on the third ring, someone picked up.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Minji?”

 

“Ne, who is this?”

 

“Minji, Jiyong oppa here. Are you with your sister? Can I possibly see her today? Where are you?” he asked one question after the other. 

 

“Mianhe, Oppa. I am not with Unni today. She sent you something though. I hope you got it,” Minji replied.

 

“Yes, I did. Where can I find her?” he insisted.

 

“It’s best that you come tomorrow. She’ll be there tomorrow and she is expecting to see you. Oppa, I got to go, I still have a meeting with a client,” and without waiting for his reply hanged up on him. 

 

Minji lifted her eyes to her sister and said, “I think he’s starting to see the connection, Unni.”

 

Dejected, Jiyong slowly walked back to his car and drove to his apartment. After parking his car at his designated area at the basement he made that slow walk to the waiting elevator. He still can’t shake the feeling that Minji was actually with Faith at the time he called and was hiding her from him. Whatever her reason doesn’t help the growing suspicion that he has. He looked at the invitation he was holding in his hands and re-read the note from Faith. 

 

The elevator opened at his floor and he stepped out just in time to see Daesung leaving his apartment door. 

 

“Dae, why are you here? Is something wrong?”

 

“Nope, just wanted to give you these bags. You left them in my car when we went to the manor,” Daesung handed him two bags. 

 

“Thanks, Dae. Why don’t you come in for awhile, are you heading out somewhere?”

 

“Not until 8 pm. What’s up with you, Ji? Ah, so hard to take on the role of CEO, huh? Something bothering you?” Daesung asked. 

 

Jiyong sighed and told Daesung, “You have no idea.”