Box #10

Love Box


Chae rin stared at him and marveled at the suave way he seemed to have dumped little “Annie” on her own. 

“Thank you for saving me back there and before you go around judging me, she’s not my girlfriend. I only did her father a favor by dropping her off but she got the wrong idea,” Jiyong said glancing at his passenger who is now quietly staring straight ahead. Her elbow did not hurt that much, but something else was slowly screaming in pain.

“I can get off here,” she said as the car turned right pulling away from the main traffic.

Jiyong saw a bus stop sign and stopped the car to let her off. “Thanks again, by the way, are you sure you’re fine?” 

“Yes, I am fine. Thank you.”

“Wait, what’s your name?” he called out lightly touching her by the shoulders. 

She stared at him for a few seconds and she knew without a doubt this is the same guy she met seven years ago. She wanted to scream, “Are you for real?” but stopped herself. How could she remember him when he seemed to have forgotten all about her? How can life be so unfair?

“It’s not important, I’m sure we’re not meeting again, ever,” she mumbled opening the car door and getting off as fast as she could. She went to the curb and started walking as far away as possible from the bus stop and the car and the man driving the car. Forget the gallery, forget the painting, at this time she simply wanted to find a crowd and melt with them.

Her feet led her back to “The Beanery”. At about this time of the day, people, mostly university students with their thick books and laptops are getting their own spot at the café. She wasn’t sure if she can still get her little corner but gave it a try anyway. 

She saw Seungri, charming the younger college girls, and gave him a quick wave. He sent her a nod and pointed to the place she earlier occupied. She went to her place and saw the table empty. Apparently remembering she will be back tonight and anticipating the deluge of customers, Seungri has placed a reserved sign on the table to make sure she has somewhere to sit when she gets back. She took the sign from the table comforted, despite what they say about Seungri being such a player and all she knew she can count on him to take care of her.