Box #17

Love Box

A few weeks later, Chae rin found herself finally in front of the gallery that was housing the butterfly-chasing-boy-inside-a-human-heart painting. She wanted to check out the painting herself to see if it was doing well. 

 

She stood in front of the painting and remembered the time she had with Jiyong. The boy in the painting really reminded her of him, but who wouldn’t? Wasn’t it Jiyong’s story that she used as an inspiration for this piece?

 

It was the first painting she did for her first ever solo exhibit. The painting received critical review even from her professors. Many have asked her how her paintings seemed to juxtapose common objects with emotions they knew existed in other people but their own. People and even other artists who have seen her collection during exhibits often walk away with their souls awakened to a deeper reality that they’d come to meet as they stare at her pieces.

 

As a painter, she never intended for her painting to come out like that. But it does. She has a gift, this young woman, to paint mundane things and see them from the eyes of an old soul who has lived for ages. Her paintings speak of an attachment that digs deep into a person’s subconscious bringing up questions they’ve been trying to hide. 

 

She stared at the painting wanting to just have it wrapped and sent over to Jiyong, practicing in her mind over and over again what to say, how to introduce herself, how to say “Don’t you remember me at all? We met in front of a sorority house and you used me to get away from the airhead date you had? Remember?”

 

She sighed, what’s the use, he’s probably moved on now.

 

“Such a deep sigh, are you as bothered with this painting as I was?” he said, coming up from behind, his footsteps so light she barely heard it. 

 

It’s him again.

 

“Fancy seeing you here, Faith, does this painting’s renown brought you here too?” he asked as he too gazed at the painting before him. 

 

“Just checking it out. Do you like this painting?” she asked.

 

“Hell no!” he said almost too quickly. He didn’t see Chae rin’s hurt look that she immediately masked when she turned to watch him.

 

Then he continued, “I know you’re an artist yourself and you must have a different view of this. I didn’t like this, at first, but it somewhat grew on me. I like the butterfly, especially how alive it appears, and it reminds me of someone,”

 

Someone? Really? Nervous, she her lips and asked, “Someone? Who?”

 

“My father. When I was younger I thought I wanted to catch butterflies. I saw one and tried to run after it much like how this boy did but I didn’t catch it. So I went home and told my father, my butterfly’s gone,”

 

She thought, "His father. It wasn't his father he told it to, it was his grandmother, or did he lie to me when he told me that story back then?"

 

“Wasn’t it your grandmother?” she spoke. 

 

“No, it was my… you’re right, it was my grandmother” he chuckled, “Sorry, faulty memory, too much stress at work I guess.” He was surprised though that she seemed to know about this particular memory but he was even more surprised at himself that he was remembering a different memory. 

 

“So what do you think about this painting?” he again asked.

 

“Right now, I think it’s rather sad. To be chasing something you feel and believe belongs to you but always appearing out of reach. If it belongs to you, shouldn’t it just land safely on your hand instead of chasing for it all this time?” she said thoughtfully. 

 

She continued to stare at the painting as she voiced her longing. She wasn’t aware that he turned his face towards her as she spoke and that he was looking at her as if he he wanted to reach out and gently touch her face with his very hands. Every groove in her face, her eyes, the bridge of her nose and the way she would pursed her lips has been imprinted in his mind like broken pieces of a puzzle that somehow got pieced together, save for the blond hair. Unknowingly, his heart is remembering something his mind has shut down. 

 

Chae rin didn’t see the way he looked at her, but In Young did. She was standing at the mezzanine about to call Jiyong when she saw him talk to the young woman. She didn’t recognize who the woman was, as far as she can see the woman looked serenely regal, polished and rich and one that probably moves within her circle judging from the way she observed the painting before her. 

 

At the corner of her eyes, Chae rin saw a woman approach, dressed in high-waist pencil cut skirt and white starched shirt with pink scarf her stiletto clicking against the floor. 

 

“Jiyong-oppa,” she called, her voice soft, “you’re here.”

She then linked her hands around Jiyong’s arm and gave him a quick kiss. 

 

Embarrassed, Jiyong, turned to Chae rin and introduced the two. 

 

“Faith, I’d like you to meet In Young, she’s really more in league with you than I am. She’s an art dealer and owns this gallery,” he said, “In young, meet Faith, a friend of mine who’s into the arts as well”.

 

In Young extended her hand and said, “Nice to meet you, Faith. I hope you appreciate this painting better than my boyfriend here.”

 

Nice one In Young, marking your territory already.

 

Thoughts ran through her head, huh, boyfriend? He has a girlfriend, this is his girlfriend?! And HIS girlfriend owns the gallery where MY painting is displayed?

 

Quickly recovering from the shock, she noticed the hand she extended and clasped it for a handshake, “Hello, In Young-ssi. I think your boyfriend has a far deeper appreciation of this art than I do.” 

 

She then gave them a smile that didn’t reach her eyes and said, “Oh well, I’ve spent too much time here already, I better go. Nice meeting you. Jiyong-ssi, have a good day.”

 

She left the gallery and walked towards her safe house, The Beanery. 

 

In Young looked at Jiyong as he wordlessly stared at the back of Chae rin, noting the innate way she gracefully walked as she left the gallery. 

 

“This is the first time I’m meeting her. How did you know her?”

 

“Who?” he asked, confused with her question. 

 

“Faith, that’s her name right?” she clarified more for Jiyong than herself.

 

“Oh, yeah. Faith. I met her when I needed help with something. She was gracious enough to help me out,” he said. 

 

“Interesting name she got, Faith. Did you know that this painting you’ve been looking at whenever you’re here was painted by a woman also named Faith? I haven't met her yet of course,” she looked at his face for any reaction, but all she saw was the way he looked back at the painting, engrossed and in deep thought.