Box #15

Love Box
Jiyong left early and was driving the busy streets, trying to maneuver through the traffic caused by the unexpected autumn rain. People are just milling everywhere, some scampering to find a temporary shelter from the rain. 

A thought popped in his head and he turned the corner hoping to get out of the traffic. As he was driving by he again saw the blond woman from last night sitting on a bench, leaning back, without an umbrella. Her posture tells him she is deliberately sitting out there, waiting for rain. 

Chae rin rounded a corner and found herself an empty bench in front of an old book store and sat there, observing people dash as the fat drops of rain fell. 

She busied herself watching at the various reactions the rain is doing to people. She saw one couple hurriedly open an umbrella and held each other tighter as they lovingly shared the protection the umbrella offered. Meanwhile, a forlorn-looking guy gazed at the grey skies as if he is one in spirit with them, silently thanking them for commiserating with him. Across the road she saw a mother hurriedly run inside a small deli and bundled tightly her sleeping child as she waited for the rain to let up. 

Then she saw a black sedan slowing down to a stop in front of her, the window rolled down half-way. 

“Yah! Miss Beanery, lady from the coffee shop.” he called out, slightly annoyed that this is the fourth time he’s seeing her and he can’t call her out by her name. 

She looked at the face of the man talking to her. It’s him again. She nodded acknowledging his greeting, wishing he’s someone else right now. Chae rin wondered how he could drive by this place when this is almost so out of the way.

“Why are you sitting out in the rain? Can I give you a ride somewhere?”

Chae rin shook her head and gave him a polite smile, “No, thank you, Jiyong-ssi, I’m still waiting for some more rain.”

“You’re going to get sick doing this.”

“I’ll be fine,” she said dismissing him with a shrug, “you better drive on, you’re holding up traffic.”

Jiyong saw from his rearview mirror the scowl of the driver behind him. He nodded at Chaerin’s direction and waved before driving off. 

“That woman is weird, but she’ll really get sick if she stays there in the rain,” he muttered. 

After a quick calculation, he made a U-turn and parked at a nearby shop noting that he is just several meters away from where he last saw Chae rin. He took the red golf umbrella from his car, got off and went to find her. 

Chae rin was still sitting by the bench. Her face upturned, eyes closed, she is now feeling each raindrop hitting her flawless skin. 

She felt the cool breeze blow, almost but not quite, freezing her face. She knew it was still raining, she can hear the patter of the rain against the pavement and on the umbrellas of the people rushing by, but she suddenly wondered why she can no longer feel the wet drops on her face.

She opened her eyes and the first thing she sees is a dull silver rod and what looked like an inside of a red camping tent. She kept staring at it until she saw that the silver rod she is seeing is actually part of an umbrella that is now drawn over her. 

She sat up and turned to her side, Jiyong was sitting beside her, his umbrella over the two of them. 

“You’re drenched. You shouldn’t be staying out in the rain. Didn’t your mother tell you you’ll get sick when you do this?”

“It’s you again. Why must you intrude in my experiment?”

“Why are you out here?” ignoring her question.

“Ah you must be envious of what I was doing, huh? Bored?”

“Probably. So, what experiment were you doing?”

She didn’t answer him immediately; instead she looked at him and noted his paisley tie. So, she still has that same effect on him. She secretly smiled to herself and thought, ‘maybe it’s not so hopeless after all’.