Chapter 4

My Wolf Friend

"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you." I put my hands out as I inched closer to the wolf. 

The wolf bared it's teeth at me and growled as a warning.

"I'm just going to get you out of this trap." I pointed to the silver snare. As if it knew what I was saying, it looked at the snare and looked at me, it seemed to be deciding whether or not to let me help. I guess it agreed because it stopped growling and just observed me. I stood at least 1 meter away from the snare and I checked again to see if the wolf showed any signs of aggressiveness before getting closer. 

It swung its huge head in my direction so it was looking backwards. I crouched down to get a better look its leg and the flashlight. I examined the injury and saw that the trap's teeth was embedded quite deeply into the left leg just underneath the knee. I then looked at how the trap was made and tried to figure out its weak point. I figured that if I got two thick branches and stuck it in the space caused by the wolf's leg in between the two rows of teeth and pushed the branches away from each other, it would open up the trap a little for the wolf to slip its leg out. I looked around for the branches and saw only small ones on the ground.

I looked up and saw some branches on the tree a few feet away that would be good. I went over and put one hand on one of the branches and pulled, it snapped off after a little tug of war and I reached again for another. After obtaining the two branches, I went over to the wolf who's eyes never left me once and began carrying out my plan. I inserted the branches and pushed the branches with all my might, but the trap wouldn't budge. Frustrated, I studied the trap and saw that one of the nails of the trap used to hold the two metal jaws was sticking out as if it were loose. I touched it and it was indeed a little loose. After twisting it harshly for a little bit, it came out and the trap loosened. Quickly, I pushed the branches and I was able to open it a few inches which was fortunately, enough for the wolf to get out.

I stood up, alert that I just freed a wild animal and stared at the wolf. It already was a few meters from me and stared back. I held my breath and hoped that the animal was grateful enough to not eat me. It nodded its head, turned around and disappeared into the woods. I let out the breath that I was holding and walked back to my house in sort of a daze.

I closed the door to my house and collapsed on the sofa. I pinched myself, was that a dream? That wolf was incredibly big for its kind and that made me scared because it might be living in the woods near my house. I recalled that most wolves live in packs so does that mean there was more? I laid my hand on the couch and winced in pain. I looked at my hands and saw that they were covered in small scatches. I must have got them when I pulled on the branches.

I stood up and went to the bathroom. I washed my hands and took out my first aid kit. I applied ointment and bandaged my palms where the deepest scratches were. Great, I probably will have to wear bandages at school on Monday. I sighed and put away the first aid kit.

I looked at the clock and it was one in the morning. Wow time flies when you save an animal. I got ready for bed and tucked myself under the covers. I stared at the dark ceiling and my mind replayed the scenes of today.

That wolf was beautiful and its human-like eyes never left my mind. I looked out the window and saw the moon shining brightly.

Wolves howl at the moon and love it just as much as me.

I smiled as my eyes fluttered closed. Finally being able to relate to a living thing felt good even if it was a wolf.