Chapter 3

My Wolf Friend

It was Saturday and I was stuck at my house with nothing to do. I sighed as I went through a list in my head:

-watch TV?

I  the TV in the living room and flipped through the channels. Nothing. 

-clean the house?

Psh that can wait until tomorrow.

-take a walk in the woods?

I looked outside and considered the choice. It was 3pm but the sun will go down at 6pm so I had plenty of time. I guess a walk it is. I slipped on a jacket and a pair of sneakers. I grabbed my iPod, sling bag with a water bottle and a camera incase i found something pretty and keys, locking the door when I stepped outside.

I saw my mailbox and I remembered that I forgot to check the mail. I grabbed onto the envelopes in the mailbox and decided to put it in my bag, but before I put it in the bag I saw that one of the envelopes had the symbol of the college that held a medical introduction program for high school students that I wanted to apply to. It had all the information and application form that was sent to only several students. I was going to open that one first when I got home. 

Damn, my zipper is broken. I sighed as I tugged onto the zipper to close my bag, but it didn't close. I guess I'll just leave it open.

Man, I should really get some friends I thought pitifully when I started on the trail through the woods that loops back to the house. I put earbuds into my ears and listened to kpop as I walked. 

Soon I started dancing and singing along as I walked. Hey there was no people around so why not? In the middle of a verse, I smelled something nasty and I wrinkled my nose. I stopped singing and dancing and looked about me. Is there poop somewhere? My eyes traveled to a white reddish pile near the side of the road.

I gulped and put a hand over my nose. I went closer and saw a bunny that was sadly clenched around its neck by a trap that made me shudder. Who would do this? My eyebrows furrowed as I remembered that there was strictly no hunting in this area.

I wanted to report this, but that would have to wait until I got back to school on Monday. As I said a small sorry to the rabbit, I heard a branch crunch out of nowhere and for some reason it made me jump. I looked around and started getting creeped out. Scared of the possibilities going through my head, I ran as fast as I could to the end of the trail.

I took deep breaths to steady myself as I shut the front door of my house. I still felt goosebumps. I locked the door and ran upstairs. I took a quick shower to calm myself down and sat on my bed hugging a pillow. I didn't know why that branch breaking gave me such a scare but it just did. To get my mind off that event, I decided to read my favorite book.

Only at 8 did I remember that I got the letter from the program since I was so absorbed in my 3rd book. I jumped out of bed and ran to my bag across the room. I reached in my bag and grabbed the pile of envelopes.

Bill, bill, bill, junk, junk and junk............

My chest started to hurt as I reached into the bag and tried to find that envelope. I resorted to dumping out my bag and I muffled my scream with a pillow as I realized that it wasn't in there. Okay let's see what I can do, calm down, breathe in, breathe out. I can't get another form unless I ask them again because it wasn't printable from their website and the due date is this Monday which wasn't enough time for them to send another application. I couldn't email them because I didn't have a laptop or computer since I did my typed hw at school. The schools computers were better than any computer I could afford so I saw no need to waste money. 

I looked at the clock, 8:40pm. With no time to waste, I grabbed a jacket, flashlight and cell phone. I locked the front door in a haste and ran to the end of the trail. I suspect that I dropped the envelope near the rabbit since I ran so quickly. With the envelope in mind, I began to scan the trail road for the white envelope.

I walked painfully slow and pointed the flashlight to every spot on the road to avoid missing the envelope. I glanced at my cell phone and saw that it was 10. How can time pass that quickly! Exasperated, I put my phone away and resumed my search.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After what seemed like forever, I saw the rabbit body in the distance when my flashlight landed on it. I shivered and looked around. There it is! I dropped it near the side of the road. I ran over to the white blob and bended down. I picked up the envelope and hugged it.

Finally I can go home! I stood up and as I picked up my foot to take a step foward I heard a low whimpering sound. What was that? I looked around with my flashlight.

I heard the whining again. A million thoughts raced through my head for the second time today. The whining came from the forest next to me. It whimpered again. It sounded like an animal. Should I help it? What if it was a criminal luring me in with a cry for help? I looked around and my eyes landed on the rabbit.

It may be an animal trapped like that rabbit! With no second thoughts, I crept towards the whimpering. I went through the bushes and trees following the whimpering. I kept the flashlight down so I don't startle it. I squinted and saw a silhouette of a figure with four legs, but it was quite large. I hid behind a tree and turned the flashlight off. I crept closer. I gasped as I saw a huge wolf whose leg was snared by a hunter's trap. The wolf raised its head and looked around. Its ears were rotating back and forth to capture sound. I was at least 8 meters from the animal, but it was close enough that I could see the white glint of the eyes caused by the moon as it scanned the forest. I in a breath as its eyes landed on mine.