Piano

Someone Somewhere :)

-The Past-

"Umma, I don't want to go to school" I said to my mother as I sat on the living room couch.

"You need to go to school in order to succeed in life" father interupted. I rolled my eyes, it's not like they were the one's who were going to school.

"But appa, they are going to make fun of me at school, look at me!" I said to father and pointed at my face. It was a bit obvious I was not Korean.

"They will not" he responded bluntly.

"Krystal is going to school with you, you won't be alone" mom said trying to comfort me.

"Yeah she is but she's not going to be in the same class with me, I'm going to get picked on, please don't make me go, don't make me go" I begged them but nonetheless they took me to school. Dropped me off in my school girl uniform and left.

"Unnie!" Krystal yelled from the entrance of the school. I ran to her immediatly.

"People are all ready staring at me!" I complained to her and covered my face with my hand.

"Quit exagerating" she said removed my hand from my face.

"Which one is your classroom number?" she asked. I just showed the paper to her not wanting to say a word.

"Oh" she said and gave me a sad smile.

"At least we both have advanced piano together right? We will see each other at the end of the day!" she said trying to cheer me up, but it wasn't really helping.

"Yeah, alright" I responded bluntly and walked away leaving Krystal feeling like she had said something wrong. I walked over to class and sat at the very last column towards the windows looking out. The wind was blowing gently and you could see the outer scenery outside. It was beautiful. Deep inside though, I felt home sick, and wished I could fly out the window back home, where I belong.

Soon enough, everyone began to arrive in class and choose their seats. Girl's giggling with their friends, talking about the cute boys they hoped would be in their class. The guys chatting about trying out for soccer or some other things they were rambling about and I couldn't hear. From the corner of my eye, I saw a guy walk in and sit down in front of me. He waved hello at a couple girls and some guys came over to welcome him back. I just sat there, trying hard to make myself look invisible to the human eye.

Our first teacher came in.

"My name is Kang Seon-yeop, and you all should never address me by it, teacher is fine. Shall we begin introducing each other?" he said and eyed the class.

"Everyone please stand up and we will go one by one starting from the left of the room to the right. Please say your name and a hobby of yours" the teacher instructed and we all stood up. The guy who had come in last was first to speak.

"Oh hello" he said and bowed to the class.

"I'm Yang Seungho, and I love music" he said and nodded while he flashed a smile.

It was my turn, and all eyes were on me.

"Hello" I said and bowed.

"I'm Park Carolina, I enjoy writing" I said in fluent Korean and everyone was just amazed.

"Wah! You're foreign!" Yang Seungho said to me astonished himself.

"I'm from the States" I said and I heard a lot of excited whispers from the rest of the class.

They continued on and afterwards we were given a syllabus for his class, and class continued and continued and different teachers and it was so boring, so lengthy. Lunch came, and many girls from class came over to say hello and ask me what the U.S was like and things like that, and then later in the day I was finally ready for my last class, advanced piano.

***

"Is this really ALL the class?" our teacher said in shock. We just looked at each other. Only 3 people were in the class.

"Well won't this be a fun class" he mumbled.

"You're in this class too?" Yang Seungho said to me.

"Yes" I replied bluntly, I didn't really want to start conversation.

"You don't really want to talk to me do you" he concluded.

"Oh, no it's not that" I began, but I guess my attitude was a bit obvious.

"What a jerk" the other guy in the class criticized.

"Excuse me?" I demanded.

"I'm messing around, don't take everything so seriously! I'm Choi Woohyun " he said and slightly bowed.

"I'm Park Carolina" I said and bowed.

"I'm her cousin Park Krystal" Krystal said arriving late to class.

"Great, another student!" our teacher said with sarcasm.

"Wait, so you are Korean?" Yang Seungho interrupted. I rolled my eyes.

"It's really a long story I rather not begin with-" I was beginning to say when the instructor interrupted me.

"Yeah, we rather not hear it, we should begin class" he said raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know why I was expecting more people in this class" the instructor said and sat down on a chair.

He pointed at th empty pianos to his right.

"Sit in two's, boy and girl" he said bluntly as if he was regretting ever deciding to teach the class.

Krystal looked at me confused. I felt just as awkward, we didn't even know these rude boys.

"Partners? I don't want to play the piano with Ms. Long Story" Woohyun said addressing Krystal. That only left me with Seungho.

"Fine let's see if you kids even have musical abilities" the instructor said in a lazy tone. I was determined to impress the man.

"Talk to hour partner and decide on a song you both know. One will play the right hand and the other the left. You have five minutes to agree on a song and agree on who plays what" the instructor said putting his timer on his fancy phone.

"What song should we play?" Yang Seungho asked me. I rolled my eyes.

"What songs do you know?"

"Well...Yiruma!? Some Japanese..."

"Do you know any songs by Joe Hisaishi?" I asked frantically knowing our time was running out.

"I only know Summer!"

"That's fine. We have less than 30 seconds, do you want to do left or right???"

"I'll do right" he said and I nodded we were about to practice at least once when the time ran out.