Chapter 7

Stranger Than Fiction

Minho hadn’t found time to slow down enough during the week to contact the author of The Inner Lives of SHINee, which had frustrated him completely. After discovering the amount of girl names on Taemin’s phone the night before, he had vowed he would leave a message for Maddie before sleeping. However their schedules had run well into the night and he had collapsed on his bed without changing, let alone worrying about anything else.

As he sat in their dressing room at KBS Music Bank, Minho knew he would find time that day in between rehearsals. Once the makeup artist was finished touching up his eye liner, he got up and moved to the couch along the wall to retrieve his laptop from the bag. Signing in quickly, he scrolled down to the chat box, checking to see if Madderkins was online. He saw her name and grinned. Minho wasn’t too sure what the time difference for Maddie was, but he guessed it would be evening in America since it was nearing 1pm in Seoul.

**Is Madderkins on the chatbox at all?**

He waited with baited breath for a couple of minutes before the username appeared.

**You’re in luck CMH919! Haven’t seen you around for awhile now. What’s up?**

** I have been very busy. Do you have some time to talk to me privately about your fiction?**

He had to wait again for a reply and almost lost his nerve with how long it took her to reply. Minho then grinned as he noticed a new pop up window on the screen alerting he had a private message.

** So, what’s the need for this private window CMH919?**

**I need to ask you about your characters. How did you come up with the ideas?**

**Oh, are you planning on writing fiction about SHINee too? Happy to help a fellow writer out.**

Minho didn’t know how to reply to her mistake, but he didn’t have to worry as Maddie soon sent him a second message.

**It’s really simple. SHINee are talented in singing and dancing, but the best place to find out anything you need to know about the members is here on the website, or youtube and tumblr. SHINee are complete dorks on variety shows, but I dug deeper and took their personalities and showed up some of the more obvious traits they have.**

Minho frowned. He wasn’t so sure how she had come up with what she had described in her fictions. Shaking his head, he typed quickly.

**So, you are saying SHINee are actually like this in real life?**

**Yeah! I mean, shall we look at each member? I’ll start with Taemin. Ever since he was about seventeen, SM started letting him and the rest of SHINee explore a different concept. Look at their earlier music; it was sickeningly sweet, right? After Juliette, there was a huge change in dance and song style to Ring Ding Dong. That came with Taemin growing up. Look at the progression of his image. He used to be the cute member; lately he’s been showing more skin and dancing more provocatively. Which of course has made all the noona’s bigger fans of him. Following so far?**

He agreed, the company had started to alter their image. Lucifer had been their strongest and manliest change yet, even though Taemin had started out with the longer hair. He thought of their clothing styles for on stage and nodded to himself. She was right. But on a daily basis, Taemin hid his body appropriately. He didn’t exude any manly charms and was always seen as the cute one at the company. Thinking about it though, he wondered if that was why Taemin had been reacting out the way he had been recently. If Minho had been lumped as the cute kid in SHINee, he too probably would want to shake that image off like Taemin might be doing.

**Are you saying you think that Taemin’s shaking off his cute image so in your fiction you wanted to make him really shake that off?**

**You can’t tell me that Taemin isn’t looking at girls more often these days. Shawols take fancams, CMH919. He is totally entranced by the female form. I bet he’s got a trainee in the company that he’s eying up and sleeping with! Haha.**

Minho gaped at the screen and then darted his eyes to the boy across the room. He was playing with his phone again and Minho wondered which girl it was that he was talking to. He tried to think of any female trainees that Taemin paid particular attention to. Instead, he was drawn back to his screen as another message popped up.

**As for Minho, he’s ALWAYS all over his hyungs. That boy cannot keep himself to well, himself. Especially the Super Junior boys. Look at him on Star King; he’s always at any chance in Eunhyuk’s space. And on Dream Team, he hangs off of people when he’s not competing. So many to count that you simply cannot tell me that he’s not suitable for the role I gave him.**

**But he’s just being friendly with those people, they are like brothers to him!**

**There’s friendly and then there’s touchy feely people. How is that what brothers would do? Look at how they made that romance out of him and Nickhun from 2PM. Surely you can see how easily Minho leeches onto males. It would be different if he showed his charms to woman too, but he seems rather shy towards them. With his hyungs he reminds me of a doting girlfriend.**

Staring at the screen, Minho gulped. He was only being friendly. He didn’t know how else to accept her words. No one had ever called him a doting girl before. Deciding he needed to stop wasting time as he sensed movement around the room, he refused to focus on her opinion of himself and moved on with the others.

**I see. I’m curious to the others. I have to go soon, so could you type it all up for me and I’ll reply later? Sorry Maddie!**

He waited for another five minutes, but realised she would need time to write it all up and so he closed the device down, rushing out to do the tasks required of being an idol.

 


Later, after their second run through of their stage, Minho had a chance to sit down and eat whilst checking his computer. He opened up where he had left off, noticing Maddie’s continued description of the remaining members.

**Okay, well let’s move onto Jonghyun. He’s always boasting himself in front of the camera. But when he’s actually being genuine, like when SHINee wins, he’s crying. I find him quite fake and attention seeking so that’s how I came up with the bipolar situation. I bet he’s like that in person, one minute boasting, and the next acting sensitive. No wonder Key always scolds him. I bet he likes that attention too. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the guy, I think he’s really talented, but yeah, he’s a bit unstable sometimes haha!

Key doesn’t need much explanation does he? I mean look at the guy. He seems to really adapt to the weirdest styles. And I get it, G-Dragon can be like that too, but GD seems to exude more of a manly vibe. Key can be severe, but also very delicate to look at. Look how easily he plays the womanly role in the household. He cooks, and he scolds, and he nags. He treats Taemin like his own child. And then he’s a self confessed shopaholic. I bet he buys women’s clothes just for the hell of it too. Jealous, he probably fits into some great outfits that many body types can’t!

And Onew, well I’ll admit it, he’s someone who’s always smiling, and got great manners and entertaining. I’m sure with all the stress he has to let it out somehow right? So when the cameras aren’t focussed on him, I doubt he’s as bright as he is in front of them. He seems the type to seclude himself often, and needs to vent out sometimes. So I played that up a bit.

Wow, I feel like I totally just wrote out something that would offend so many Shawols. I knew my fiction would either sink or swim when I started posting it. Thankfully many fans see and share the similar views I have of SHINee that I was luckily saved from the girls who would smite me for talking bad about their beloved members. And don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge SHINee fan myself. Minho’s my bias actually. So yeah, that’s how I came up with everything. If you want to know more, I’d be happy to meet with you if you’re ever in my area. I’m actually going to SMTOWN in LA and would love to meet up with as many Shawols as I can. Let me know if you need a contact number, so we can plan this if you’re keen!

Maddie xoxo**

By the time Minho was finished reading the message, he was highly confused. So many things clicked and yet the girl had clearly never met them in person. He was highly intrigued by what she had to say, and how it was all drawn from their past and present actions being construed that way. It left Minho feeling uneasy about many things, namely how the fans viewed him as someone who showed lots of affection to the same .

“I’ll have to change that,” he murmured, rereading over the last bit. He didn’t understand why his heart skipped when he read that she liked him the most. After all, she was the reason he had gone crazy and believed she actually knew about their inner lives.

Minho replied to the message, thanking her and then signed off, ready to accept the challenge of changing at least one view point on the members of SHINee.

________
Author's Notes...

Done! Hope you all enjoyed :)