Chapter 4

Stranger Than Fiction

A few weeks went by with a packed schedule from promoting Lucifer on music shows, summer concerts and radio programs. Minho could tell his friends were exhausted, their schedule and lack of sleep taking its usual toll on him. It was then however that Minho had become seemingly aware of little changes in his friends behaviour. Since they had been winning on the music shows again, Jonghyun had taken to finding it easier to burst into tears. At first Minho had found it humorous, but as his mood swings continued, it concerned the younger boy. Onew also was off, and he couldn’t remember seeing his hyung smile genuinely in days.

“Reading too much into that fiction,” he muttered to himself as Onew grunted in reply to Jonghyun’s question at dinner that evening. He examined the oldest boy’s face and noted he was looking sick. Promotion periods were always the hardest on their bodies and Minho relaxed a little, returning back to his meal.

“So, I’m going to meet up with Nic tomorrow,” Key mentioned casually. And then he clapped his hands together in delight. “She told me about this new store, and it’s having a sale so I thought I could spend my free morning with her.”

“Lucky for some, I have extra vocal lessons in the morning,” Taemin grumbled, before checking at his phone for the umpteenth time. He sighed and put it away.

Jonghyun noticed. “Who are you waiting to hear back from?”

“Oh.” Taemin blinked a couple of times and then smiled. “My uh, Mum.”

“I thought your Mum didn’t know how to work her phone well?” Key questioned as he scooped some rice onto his spoon and into his mouth.

The youngest nodded too eagerly. “I guess that’s why she’s not replying now.”

Minho eyed the boy curiously, spotting signs that he wasn’t being exactly truthful. The others didn’t seem so bothered by it and so he shook his head, as if he was shaking away his thoughts.

It was coincidental that their emotions were similar to Maddie’s story.

 

 

“Minho-ah!”

He turned to see Donghae jogging towards him and he grinned, rushing to meet his older friend. “Hyung! How was your trip to Japan?”

“Oh you know, usual performances and interviews. Glad to be back and not promoting for a bit. How’s the injury?”

Glancing down at his leg, Minho nodded before shooting another grin at his friend. “All better.”

“Oh good!” The Super Junior member playfully punched him in the arm. “We’ll have to get out to the field and get some ball in yeah? It’s been awhile.”

“Sounds good, who else should we invite?”

Donghae shrugged. “We could just do some work together. Seems everyone’s busy these days. Already tried to make plans with others but they’re getting ready for promos themselves.” The older boy grinned. “But we can get out there and kick a few around yeah?”

“Su-sure hyung. Let me know when your schedule matches mine.”

Donghae nodded gleefully and after another playful punch he strode off. Minho stared after him, feeling confused. “Why am I not excited like usual?”

He thought over the past few days, and how he had inadvertently shirked spending any time with his hyungs. Lee Hongki from FT Island had been in the waiting room over the weekend and at first Minho had gone up to his friend and fooled around with him. However, he felt off and couldn’t figure out why. Now, with his meeting Donghae in the hallway, he instantly had a flash of words to his head.

Reading that fiction was one of the dumbest moves I’ve made, he thought to himself, as he slowly made his way back to the practice room he had just left. I can’t believe I’m allowing fiction to actually make me doubt everyone. Next I’ll actually believe it’s true! Get a hold of yourself Choi Minho!

Sending a text to Donghae telling him the sooner the better, Minho nodded determinedly to himself, not allowing the words to affect him any longer.

 

 

They had managed to find time later that evening to get out to the park and Minho ran down one length of the field, feeling exhilarated to be out doing something physical. Although he was working on his dancing strength after his accident, it was obvious to him that he hadn’t given enough time towards rebuilding his athleticism. It made him feel better knowing he soon would be sweating as he watched Donghae jog across the field towards him, dumping his bag by Minho’s and producing a football.

“Good night for it!” Donghae expressed and Minho chuckled.

“You don’t think I’ll go easy on you, do you?”

The older brunette smirked. “Shouldn’t you be careful of your leg? It’s still healing. Which one is it? I’ll make sure not to go near it. Don’t want our session to end with you hobbling again.”

“Full of it as usual Lee,” Minho scoffed and caught the ball that Donghae threw at him. He grinned and shared a mischievous look with the Super Junior member before they set off across the field.

Minho had always been highly competitive, and he soon was in his zone, screaming out in triumph at scoring yet another goal. He raised his index finger to the sky after kissing it and noticed that Donghae rolled his eyes. “Are you getting tired, hyung? This game is going far too easily in my favour.”

“Hah, I’m only warming up you egotistical bastard!” Donghae grabbed the ball and instantly started up the field to the other goal nets. Minho sprinted after him and tried to get the ball away, the pair laughing breathlessly despite the nature of their game. Donghae kicked around Minho’s leg which unbalanced him, and he fell down as the older boy tracked the ball down to the goal area, scoring easily.

Thumping the ground in annoyance, Minho remained seated, getting his breath back. Noticing he wasn’t back up yet, Donghae approached the taller boy, huffing a little. “You alright?”

“Yeah.” Donghae extended his hand out for Minho to take and he reached up for it, yanking hard on his arm. Laughing loudly as Donghae hit the grass beside him, he pushed him playfully. “Stop thinking I’m weak.”

“But aren’t you always?” Donghae taunted and Minho launched towards him, the pair soon tumbling around on the grass, their laughter deafening them. Minho finally was pinned under Donghae and the older boy smirked down at him. “Don’t underestimate your hyung.”

Minho stared back at him dumbly, feeling his smile fall from his lips as he froze up. Donghae climbed off him chuckling, but Minho was unable to move, his mind running too fast for him to process anything.

“Yah, Minho-ah!” Donghae cried and he finally blinked, letting out the breath he hadn’t been aware he had been holding. “You getting up so we can continue or do you need a longer rest?”

Jumping up and waving his hand to decline, Minho grabbed his belongings and rushed away from the field, trying to decipher what had just happened to him.

 

___________________________________

Author's Notes...
Sorry everyone for the late chapter... it was a bad week and I forgot to post due to the first anniversary of my Dad's death. Anyways the chapter is up, and finally things are starting to show up more clearly. Poor Minho after his Donghae incident! 

Since there's no comments, I shall leave no replies today heh.