Chapter 1

Stranger Than Fiction

 

It had possibly been the longest day of his life. He could put up with a full schedule that never seemed to end, or spending all day and half the night in the practice room learning new choreography, but what Minho could not stand the most was doing nothing. And that was exactly his current predicament.

If he could move, he wouldn’t be laying on one of the couches in his dormitory bored out his brains. In fact he knew if he could move he wouldn’t be stuck at home whilst the rest of his group members were practicing their new dance routine for their comeback next week. He would be dancing until his muscles were sore, not lying there because he was in pain.

Minho had taken injury at the recording of a sports show he was on, Let’s Go Dream Team 2, and in result ruptured his calf muscle. He classed himself as an athlete and so the injury was far more devastating that if it had been his hyung Onew that had done it. He figured knowing the eldest hated sports, and dancing was one of his more weaker points in his career as a musician, Onew would secretly enjoy lazing around eating and watching television all day. But it was the opposite for him. He couldn’t watch what was on tv without having some reaction to it, and moving too much would make him wince in pain. Music was playing around the living room softly as he laid there trying to read a university textbook, but he soon gave up with a sigh, finding the words all blurring together as one. Minho needed some entertainment, but he just didn’t know where to look for it.

He wondered what the other four members of SHINee were doing, and after checking his watch, he was sure they would be on lunch break now. Reaching for his mobile that was on the coffee table Taemin had stocked that morning with everything he thought Minho would need – and pretty much everything he didn’t – he pressed speed dial. It rang three times before the caller answered.

“Hyung,” he began and heard a tsking sound.

“Oh Minho, what if we had been practicing? I could have gotten in trouble for it ringing!” Key scolded and the taller boy chuckled deeply.

“Like we all tell you every time you do get told off, turn the sound off during practice.”

“But then I wouldn’t hear it ring,” Key replied matter-of-factly, making his younger friend laugh again. “What do you want? Is your leg okay?”

“It’s sore, I’m managing. And Jihyo noona is still here cleaning so she’s gotten me a couple of things. But I just wanted to check on how you all are.”

“You’re bored, aren’t you?” he stated knowingly and Minho sighed. “How can you be like this, we hardly get a day off. Taemin and Onew have been thinking of ways to make you pay for getting out of dance practice.”

“Taemin likes to dance though.”

“Just focus on getting better Minho,” the older boy suggested and he sighed heavily. “Try studying, or watch television. Surely there’s sport on a channel somewhere.”

“I’ve tried both and sport only makes me want to get up and join in,” he complained honestly, looking at his small laptop that was resting on his stomach and then tilting his head to the side. “I’m on my computer, what should I search?”

“Are you asking me for something to do?” Key enquired and then started whispering away from the receiver on his mobile. Minho strained to listen, especially when he chuckled.

“Yes hyung, you should be able to give me something to do.”

“Alright, practice reading and improving your English like I always do.”

Minho perked up a little. “How do you do it, is there a site you visit?”

“I read fan-fiction on our international forum.”

“You do what?” Minho recoiled and Key chuckled.

“What, it’s good fun and will keep you entertained.” Key kept laughing and Minho was aware of Jonghyun’s voice in the background. “Look Min, I have to go back now, but just surf the net for something to do. Bye!”

The suggestion was odd, but the longer Minho considered it, he realised that Key may have found a good way to learn English. He knew his way to the forum, and telling himself that it was for educational purposes, he logged into his account there and scrolled down the page until he found the section he was after. He clicked it and went into the story section, trying to find something that took his fancy.

At first it was daunting, he didn’t know which fictions to click on and when he’d open a few, they were written in a way he couldn’t get into. He didn’t want to know about Jonghyun secretly liking Taemin either, and so he quickly clicked out of that one, about to give up. He stopped however, hesitating to hit the x on the top of his screen as he read the title of a fiction. “The Inner Lives of SHINee”. It was almost as if he had to investigate, given the title, and he opened the link, settling in to read.

If only the fans of the five golden boys of KPOP knew who their favourite idols truly were. The innocent, pure act of SHINee was hardly to be seen in their dormitory most days. In fact it was anything but that. Onew’s kindness dropped behind closed doors, the eldest being frustrated that he was stuck sharing a room with four others. He was bitter because of this, and a stream of cursing could often be heard around the house, and not only from being accident prone. Jonghyun was like the ultimate example of bipolar, nagging at s to clean up or do things for him one minute, to crying heartily over a cute kitten advertisement on the television the next. Then there was Key, who given his love for clothes and feminine looks, it wasn’t a far cry to guess he was gay, and took his uality seriously. When it came to Minho, if he wasn’t at home, you could guarantee he was harassing the Super Junior boys, asking Donghae to go play ball with him, hoping that one day Donghae would guess that ball did not include an actual soccer ball. And finally was the cutest of all KPOP boys, Lee Taemin, who put Dongho from U-KISS to shame with just how much he got from the ladies.

Minho blinked several times after rereading the prologue to the story, and scratched the back of his head. He was relieved that the writer didn’t actually know what was going on inside their dormitory, although he was unsettled at the bit about himself. He wasn’t sure how to take it, as he often enjoyed playing some soccer with his hyung. It made him realise that he hadn’t caught up with Donghae in awhile, and decided he’d have to ring him later on. Looking back at the screen, Minho wondered whether to read on or not. He had to admit, it was a different outlook on his living quarters and he was intrigued. Letting out a sigh, he looked back at the screen.

After all, he didn’t have anything better to do.

 

_____________________________

Author's Notes...
Well, welcome to the first chapter. Is anyone interested to read further? 

Korean Words Used...

* Hyung; means older brother to a younger male. Often used for close older male friends also.