Chapter 7

Hidden Deception

A/N: haha, this time I decided to write my author's notes before I start the chapter. I`ve gotta say. Longest chapter I`ve ever written in my life. Heck, this chapter was probably the length of my research paper last year LOL.

4150 words <- I wanted to sorta try how it felt to be an epik writer who writes probably 10000 words a chapter. Although 4000 isn`t quite 10000, I swear, its ALOT of work. Took me 3 nights to write O___O"

So sorry if this chapter was too boring and long -.- ... I ran out of energy by the end & just wanted it over with. LOL.

@198-er: Sorry the Goddess's appearance was so short. I PROMISE. It`ll be longer next time~~ :D Thanks for being an avid commentor<3 I love you(:

& To the HyukRi shippers, EunHyuk will make an appearance in this chapter & every here and there :)

Comments are adored as always and remember to read the tiny side note at the very end(:

__________________________________________

 

The blue vehicle pulled up right in front of the shopping center entrance as JongHyun quickly climbed out, running back into the mall.

SungHee stared at him for a few moments, quite surprised what this guy, with player written all over his face, did.

“ You wouldn’t want to soak yourself getting to the car, right?” JongHyun smiled as he took off his own blazer jacket.

“ Actually, I don’t mind.”

“ Well, I mind.” He pulled her closer, covering the two of them with his jacket serving as an umbrella. The two ran to the car, quickly, under JongHyun’s jacket.

JongHyun shook his hair a bit as it was obviously wet as the rest his body was too. Using his finger, he wiped some of the water from under his eye, “ Alright.” He started his car, beginning to drive down the street, seeming to know exactly where he was headed towards.

Honestly, SungHee didn’t care as she wasn’t the slightest bit interested, looking out the window. The falling rain was more interesting than trying to please this player, or so she thought.

“ Do you hate me that much? ” JongHyun kept one hand on the steering wheel while asking her.

“ Just because I’m not clingy like your toys?”

“ Yah, just what exactly makes me a player? ” He nearly snickered at her usage of the word ‘toy’.

She shrugged, “ It’s written all over your face.”

JongHyun smiled, while still keeping his eyes on the road, “ You know what’s written all over your face? ”

“ Hm? ”

“ You’ll know soon enough.” He pulled into the parking lot for the apartment complex of which he lived in, “ Let’s go.”

She didn’t budge, “ Why are we going to your apartment? ”

He shrugged this time, “ Maybe because someone still owes me a date and we’re soaked? ”

At that, SungHee could only follow.

JongHyun turned the door knob, throwing the keys and wallet onto the table near the entrance. SungHee quietly followed him inside his small yet simple apartment. Most of the furniture looked almost untouched. The living room being no different than any other--4 walls and a roof--completed with a sofa, coffee table and a few book cases. He didn’t even have a TV nor a kitchen table as it was effectively replaced by a working desk. SungHee looked around, unsure of where to sit when JongHyun appeared from the bathroom with a two towels. He used one to ruffle his own damp hair with, handing the other to SungHee along with a few other clothing items, “ Go take a shower.”

“ Here? Why?  ” She was quite surprised, still unsure what he wanted.

JongHyun only laughed, quite amused, “ Turn off that little dirty mind of yours. Do you not see yourself soaked? ”

SungHee was a bit embarrassed as she looked down at clothe, which were indeed soaked, “ It’s fine.”

“ Well, at least change.”

She stared at him for some time, but finally agreed as she took the clothe from his hand. He smiled, amused at her childlike behavior despite being the beautiful grown up women she was. JongHyun continued to ruffle his hair as he walked into the bathroom, to take a shower first as she rejected the offer.

SungHee wandered into only room in small apartment, which was obviously JongHyun’s room. Unlike the living room, this room seemed even more untouched; the shelves in the room were collecting dust and the sheets on the bed were perfectly creased and folded. She continued to observe the room, but found nothing of it as it was empty for the most part--a few shelves scattered with random sheets and scraps of paper which SungHee deemed to be irrelevant to what she could be looking for. When she was done, she finally changed into what JongHyun handed her earlier.

SungHee, dressed loosely in JongHyun’s black t-shirt and pajama pants, began to wander through the rest of his apartment as JongHyun was still away in the shower. She went through a small box of miscellaneous papers sitting on his coffee table, but found nothing relevant, again, to what she could have been looking for. Although his desk seemed as though it would contain any articles of importance, all she found was more random stacks of paper. Although they weren’t exactly miscellaneous, unless SungHee spent all day looking through the print-outs, they were exactly anything to make sense of. She wanted to hack his laptop, but she knew it wasn’t going to be easy. After rummaging through most of the junk piled on his desk, SungHee seemed to only have found one article of importance, which happened to be his schedule for the upcoming weeks.

SungHee smiled in satisfaction as she sat down on his sofa, peering out the window, which still seemed to show the harsh rain. Before long, she wandered into the small kitchen in the corner out of pure curiosity. There wasn’t much to reveal about it, but a few pots, pans, and expired ramen noodle packages. Her contented smile began to fade away as a very slight hint of guilt began to sink in. After observing his apartment thoroughly, she realized that she could’ve very well been wrong earlier. A player’s apartment would not look like this. JongHyun didn’t even have food in his house nor does his bed even looked like it occupied many others before, let alone an extra pair of house slippers or pajamas.

Although she came to this conclusion, somewhere inside her heart, SungHee still decided she was only here for work reasons; it didn’t matter if she judged him. SungHee told herself she truly felt this way as she sat back down on JongHyun’s sofa. Little did she understand, she was simply insecure around people in general--people she still considered strangers.

SungHee let those thoughts slip off her mind as she began to feel drowsy. Although she urged to keep herself awake, the silence didn’t help as she curled up on the side, asleep, on JongHyun’s comfortable sofa.

It was long after that JongHyun walked out of the shower, damp haired, dressed in an outfit similar to what he had handed to SungHee himself.

A girl’s suppose to fall asleep like this at a guy’s house? With only the two of them? He chuckled quietly at her, feeling quite defeated and she’s not afraid of a guy taking advantages of her?

JongHyun sighed in disbelief, talking to himself although directed towards SungHee, “ What am I? Your mother? ”

Seeing she was pretty much fast asleep, he took his chance to do the investigation he originally intended to do through the date. It was still a mission after all.

JongHyun walked over to SungHee’s bag, sitting on his short coffee table. He ped the bag to examine its content.

“ Really now? ” He picked up a GPS tracker, “ Girls carry these nowadays? ” JongHyun quickly and skillfully took apart the device so it would no longer work and tossed it in his garbage bin. Like SungHee had earlier, JongHyun carefully rummaged through her bag. He found all sorts of interesting objects, luring his interest in her and Park Gyuri further. JongHyun picked up a gun from her bag, quite interested as he examined it, determining that it was only a remodeled air gun.

JongHyun picked up her cell phone next; he looked over at her to make sure she was still asleep before he continued to toy with it. He took out the same device he used to decipher out Gyuri’s profile. With the same process, JongHyun transferred important data that could possibly used for future tracking usage onto his own USB device. He bit his lower lips as he waited patiently for the loading bar to reach 100.

He smirked to himself as the process was merely a few seconds away from completion. However, just as it reached completion, the screen fizzed, blinked, and just about whatever it could possibly do. JongHyun’s smirk dropped as he could only detach his own device. As soon as he detached it, the screen returned to normal, readmitting all the data he attempted to steal.

JongHyun stared, wide-eyed at his own device. The phone fried it.

He tossed the USB onto his desk for future fixing, then carefully returned her phone as untouched as possible. He ruffled his hair in frustration.

Who knew she saw this coming. She even protected her cell phone, adjusting the settings so as soon as someone attempted to mess with the interior, a virus would be activated to the opponent.

JongHyun sighed loudly, feeling more defeated than before, pouting as he plopped next to SungHee on the couch. He was still mourning his device as it fried just a minute ago, but before long, that thought effectively disappeared as he found another interest. JongHyun soon found himself starring, puppy starring, at SungHee’s sleeping face. He still haven’t deciphered why she was so insecure around him.

“Do I look like a monster?” He joked as he couldn’t help smiling at the pretty girl sleeping besides him.

He inched closer to her, sitting right besides her now, placing his own arm behind her head. Being the mischievous flirt he was, JongHyun closed his eyes, pretending to sleep until she wakes up. He wondered what her dirty little mind would conclude if she found herself sleeping next to a guy on his couch.

A good ten minutes passed before SungHee tossed around, waking herself up from the moving. She blinked a few times, quite surprised at herself falling asleep at his house. SungHee didn’t realize the real surprise until a few seconds later-- the big surprise right besides her. Without hesitation, she pushed JongHyun away.

JongHyun landed on his wooden floor with a loud thump. He rubbed elbow, still sitting on the floor, “ Yah. This is my house. ”

“ What were you doing next to me? ”

“ I was doing what you were doing. What were you doing? ”

“ I--”

JongHyun smirked, “ Don’t worry. I told you to turn that little dirty mind of yours off, didn’t I?” He walked to his kitchen, “ But what were you thinking, falling asleep at a stranger’s house…who happens to be a guy? ” JongHyun handed her a cup of water.

SungHee took the cup of water, only to stare at the cup. She actually felt genuine care in his words, which allowed her inner feelings and thoughts to run wild again, “ I’m tired. Really tired.” She muttered, barely audible.

“ You’re workaholic, aren’t you? ” JongHyun learned more about this girl as she was beginning to let inner feelings pour out slowly. He’s always been good at reading people, and in this case, she must’ve allowed work to take over her sleep.

SungHee didn’t reply. She bit her lower lip as she stopped to tell him more.

Why does he reach into me like this?

“ Can I just leave now? ” She tried to stand up, but JongHyun stopped her.

“ Are you crazy? ” He was still holding onto her wrist, “ Your clothe are still drying and its still raining outside, which equals you staying here.”

“…with me” He finished, smiling. JongHyun actually caught her smile back for a split second, which satisfied him for unknown reasons. He sat her back down, “ You hungry?”

 

“ No.” SungHee answered quickly as she was sick of being stuck with him at this very moment. It wasn’t exactly that SungHee hated him, but she felt violated in a way at how he could read her.

“ Well, I am…and you’re going to eat with me.” JongHyun was already in his tiny kitchen, looking for any last scraps of food.

“ There’s…nothing in there ” SungHee pointed out to JongHyun who was flipping through every drawer in sight.

“ Yeah, thought so too. ” He touched his bottom lip with his thumb out of habit as he pondered for a moment, “ Wait here. Don’t think about leaving. Just wait.”

JongHyun grabbed his hoodie and wallet before heading out the door.

JongHyun’s POV:

I walked outside, but stopped at my own doorway. Thinking about my own actions, I had to laugh at bit at myself.

So I had an inner-nice-guy too.

“ She’s really something--to bring out my inner nice guy” I thought as I tossed the hood on and ran into the rain in search of any remaining stands.

I wasn’t exactly about to starve myself because I had no food in my house. Why I didn’t have food in my house was completely Key’s fault. I swear, every single time he claims to visit me to see if I was still alive, he takes just about everything edible in my house.

I stay at his apartment now for the most part--for revenge.

The rain wasn’t exactly helping as I ran down the street, in search for tteokbokki. I only knew she liked that, but seeing that it was pouring, I didn’t expect the usual stands near the area to still be there. I resorted to the only small restaurant I could possibly find tteokbokki in, which wasn’t far at all…if I wasn’t all wet from this unstopping rain.

After buying the actual tteokbokki, I took off my hoodie to wrap the containers in, so they don’t become like me by the time I reached my apartment.

I sighed, standing at the doorway of the small tteokbokki restaurant just staring at the rain. If today wasn’t suppose to be a groggy day, I would’ve blamed some gumiho** for crying; I was always running around in this pouring rain today and I continued that as I tried to quickly dash back to my apartment a few minutes away.

-------------------

SungHee’s POV:

“ Wait here. Don’t think about leaving. Just wait.”

I wanted to know where he was going, but before I could say a word, he already closed the door behind him. There was only silence in the apartment again as I had it all to myself until he comes back. I felt quite guilty for some reason although he acted completely according to his own will. It was an uneasy feeling--the way he treated me. I bit my lip, in a confused yet dissatisfied manner.

If I wasn’t going to take his courtesy for nothing, I should at least do some things for him.

I took the two cups of water to the kitchen and emptied both in the sink. Finding a small pot, I filled it up with some water for boiling. I looked at his kitchen again, but he was right--there was no food. While I left the water to boil, I shuffled to my purse as I remembered what I had in there. I ran through a variety of the content before finding the two instant coffee packages I left in there from the other day.

Carefully, I poured the boiling water into the matching mugs, then mixing the instant coffee mix. I stared at the two cups of coffee, eventually smiling at them before I thought I’d go downstairs to wait for him to come back.

Still cladded in JongHyun’s clothe, I took an umbrella near his front door and began to head out as well. I bent over to put on my shoes, but remembering the painful sore my high heels could give me, I shook that idea off.

I stood under the umbrella in his oversized clothe, but barefooted, waiting for him to come back; I knew I shouldn’t leave, as much as I wanted to, so I just waited. I wanted to wait to ask him where he went.

JongHyun’s POV:

I was relieved to see my apartment, now visible from where I was. Not only did I see my apartment though, I saw another figure holding an  umbrella, cladded in oversized clothe.

Regular POV:

JongHyun ran faster to meet SungHee, who was standing with an umbrella, waiting for his return. He soon arrived before her.

SungHee walked closer to share the umbrella with him although it was rather pointless, seeing he was completely soaked as she had seen him merely hours ago in his car, “ Where’d you go?”

He ran his hand through his wet hair, “ Aren’t your feet cold? ”

She looked down at her own feet, who seemed to have a mind of its own, curling up at being wet and cold, “ Not really. You should be the one cold.” SungHee looked up at him.

JongHyun laughed at himself, “ Ha…you’re right.” While still holding the containers in one arm, he walked along with her under the umbrella until they reached the apartment once more.

--------------

JongHyun didn’t bother showering again, but just simply dried himself with a towel.

“ Where’d you go? ” SungHee repeated her unanswered question as she brought out the two cups of coffee she made.

JongHyun smirked in triumph as he took out the containers, carefully wrapped with his own sweatshirt, “ You said earlier that you liked tteokbokki…and I only know you like that, so…” He looked at her, “ I went to go get it.”

The two soon sat down at his short, rectangular coffee table with a container of tteokbokki and a cup of coffee each.

JongHyun picked up his chopsticks and began eating. He ate deliciously as he was clearly starving. On the other hand, SungHee was only eating quietly, ignoring JongHyun who was eating each bite and savoring the taste quite abruptly.

After a while, JongHyun suddenly stopped his chopsticks to peek at SungHee. He smiled watching her eat. JongHyun could tell; although she was happy to finally be eating after a long morning, SungHee didn’t openly display it on her face like he had.

He placed down his chopsticks deciding it was best to give the rest to her.

“ Running in the rain to buy this was worth it.” He thought as he sipped coffee from his cup. At a second thought, he would’ve never imagined to be drinking instant coffee with tteokbokki bought in the rain on his date.

“ Tteokbokki with instant coffee isn’t exactly a match made in heaven, is it?” JongHyun playfully asked to break the silence they somehow maintained.

“ It’s good.” SungHee curved a bit, revealing a small smile. JongHyun saw her smile for the first time in the mere few hours he’s met her, “ It beats expired noodles.” She finished.

JongHyun wasn’t exactly fascinated by SungHee’s smile, but he couldn’t deny the slight flutter he felt when he finally saw this girl smile. JongHyun couldn’t help but smile back, “ You know…”

He pretended to think for a moment, “ I don’t even know your name.”

She looked up from finishing the last of her coffee, “ Let me borrow your phone.”

JongHyun studied her for a moment.

“ And I’ll tell you.” she finished with a sharpened glare, soft, yet threatening at the same time; she had caught him off guard this whole time.

She had seemed so vulnerable and cute, curled to the side, asleep on his couch, yet so pretty just staring at her face, even JongHyun found himself off guard, allowing his inner nice-guy running wild.

He mentally sighed, “ So I lost round one.”

JongHyun handed his phone over to SungHee. Because he knew what her intentions as he already attempted to do the same to her own phone, JongHyun handed over an old phone with no valuable information he kept with him just in case this happens.

“ Thanks.” SungHee stood up, “ I think my clothes are dry.” She headed towards the room where her clothe were drying in, taking JongHyun’s phone with her as well, as if she was going to make a call to someone important.

Closing the door behind her, SungHee quickly changed into her still damp, but not wet clothe. She folded JongHyun’s clothe into a neat stack and left those on his bed. Still remembering his phone, she tried to take the memory card and transfer its content onto her own cell phone, but as she scanned the information, she found nothing much of use, therefore disposing of that idea. Instead, SungHee efficiently registered the phone onto her tracker. She smiled in satisfaction when a small red blink dot appeared on the screen of her tracker, indicating the phone. Now she could follow his tracks remotely.

SungHee threw the device into her purse, then left the room.

“ Here.” she handed him his phone back, “ The rain is stopping. ”

JongHyun shifted to look at the window, “ Seems so.”

“ I should be leaving.”

“ Well, I suppose so then.” He smirked his trademark smirk, “ Up for a good-bye kiss? ”

SungHee turned around from the doorway to look at JongHyun, “ Save it for your other girls.”

She lingered around for one more moment before heading out the door.

“ Thank…you…” the two words escaped her lips although she was reluctant to say so at first. Although she had trouble thanking someone who gave her all this trouble today by going to this date-idea of his, SungHee remembered the moment she felt genuine care coming from this guy, Kim JongHyun.

She’s never dated any guys nor does she ever want to in the near future, but he changed her thoughts just a bit.

Just a bit from the moment she felt that he cared.

------------------

“ Nicole?” SungHee called as she opened the door to their dorm. Clearly, Nicole wasn’t even home as she heard nothing but the silence of the air. She kicked off her heels, dropped off her purse on the nearby kitchen table and nearly threw herself on her couch.

SungHee was so glad to be home from such a long day. Although the day wasn’t so much physically draining, she still felt strange recalling everything that happened to herself today.

She made a mental note to herself that she was done with dates for a while to come.

Just when she was about to go take a long shower, a muffled ringing came from her bag. SungHee shuffled over to her purse, digging out her phone, which was ringing.
“ Yeboseyo? ”

A familiar voice sounded through the phone, “ How did it go? Date?”

It was no one, but Gyuri, the “match-maker” herself since she pretty much had setted up the date.

SungHee sighed, “ Long story short. It rained…and a lot happened.”

“ I see..”

“ Where are you now?” SungHee switched the topic.

“ Now…?” Gyuri stopped to be seemingly thinking, “ I’m in the airport in Seoul now.”

She continued walking, hand phone to her ear in one hand and rolling her suitcase in the other. Her black heels, matching her chic also black outfit, clicked on the glossy airport interior floor and her hair flowed as she walked.

SungHee plopped herself back onto the comfortable couch, “ You’re by yourself? He‘s not with you? ”

“ Mm, I just came back from Japan.” Gyuri lifted her suitcase into her car, then sat into the drivers seat herself, “ EunHyuk told me to come back first. The Japanese cops are on his case and its hard for him to leave Japan at the moment. He’ll be stuck for a few days before he find his way out. ”

“ Do you think its possible then to finish what we’ve been trying to do for a year within these few days? ”

Gyuri thought for a moment, “ It’s really risky. I’d rather you not; he still has a lot of people in Korea watching.”

SungHee sighed, “ Unnie, it’s been a year already…can you believe it?”

Gyuri smiled bitterly, “ Yeah…a year. It’s been a year since we’ve been assigned this case, trying to successfully arrest EunHyuk. I remembered before I was even officially part of the team, our sunbaes arrested him a few times, but he never stayed due to the lack of evidence of his international crimes and his own ways out.”

Although Gyuri couldn’t see, SungHee smiled the same bitter smile Gyuri did, “ But that’s why we were assigned to find every last bit of evidence that can finally bring him to justice, right? ”

“ Don’t worry. It won’t be much longer.” Gyuri assured, “ I’m almost home. When I get back, tell me about Kim JongHyun.”

SungHee smiled, but not bitterly this time around, “ Alright.” Although her job was tiring, draining, and sometimes seemingly tedious, SungHee still loved it.

It was the one thing that she helps her prove her own identity as a person; It was like soccer to a soccer player, a pan to a chef.

 

 

 _____________________________________

** Thumbs up if you watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. I love that drama & I just had to used that reference~ BUT. Gosh, if you watch up till episode 6, iono about you, but I really hate Cha DaeWoong. I want Miho to just eat him alive. She`s just so adorable and innocent. I swear, script-writer-nim, if you make Miho die in the end, I`m going to like fly to Korea and murder you xD LOL. Jk. BUT still. I don`t like Cha DaeWoong, Miho is adorable, and ii hunter is so beautiful LOLOL. Okay, enough irrelevant spazzing.

Peace xD