EIGHT

Tell Me You Love Me

"Sangchol!" I called out, rushing over to his table. He looked up from his friends and smiled before talking to me. "Yeah, what's up?" he asked getting up from his table. 

I cleared my throat a little bit. "Mikyong and I wanna get moving again. Still wanna come with? You can stay with your friends still if you'd like though," I suggested, shrugging my shoulders lightly. He hummed under his breath for a moment before picking up his things and walking past me. Following him back to our table, I could see the irritated glance Mikyong was giving me. 

I returned the glare.  After a moment she stuck her tongue out at me. "Alright. Where to next?" Sang asked us, plucking the map from her hands. It was adorable how she looked up at him without him noticing. He was too busy reading the map to realize she was oggling at him. I let out a sigh before taking the map. "I want to go to the ferris wheel. We haven't tried that yet," I said, pulling both of them by the wrists and dragging them in the direction of Kai's table.

As soon as we got within earshot of them, I let out a laugh, playfully punching Sangchol in the arm. "That's hilarious," I said, forcing myself not to make eye contact with Kai. He wasn't glaring, but rather I could feel him staring at us. Sang laughed and nodded, continuing his story. I felt bad for ignoring him like this, but I'll probably just get him to tell it to me later or something. 

It was a never ending cycle of fake flirting and dissapointment. Kai didn't even seem to care that I was hanging around Sang. I borrowed his sweater, laughed at everything he said, and even stood next to him the entire day. What more could I do to make Kai jealous, but not hurt Mikyong and lead on Sangchol? I frowned. I was never good at things like this. I'm not a courageous person who can pull something like this off. 

There was only an hour left before we had to head back to the hotels. We had made it to the other side of the amusement park without even noticing it. "The meetup site is all the way on the other side. There's no way we're gonna walk back, my legs are beat," Mikyong said, her thin lips curling downwards in a frown. Sangchol hummed under his breath for a bit. "Well," he said, taking the map from my hands. "There are cable cars that go to different key areas at the park. We can catch one that goes all the way back to the entrance."


While waiting for the cable car to arrive, I noticed Mikyong's upset expression. I bit my lip as the guilt sank in. "Hey," I said, reaching out to place my hand on her shoulder. Her eyes flickered up to look at me at my touch. She looked hurt. I felt my stomach drop again. "Don't be mad at me," I continued. "You know I don't actually like him. This is all just to get Kai's attention." I continued to stare at her, letting my words sink in before pressing on further. "I'm not the type of person to flirt with my best friend's crush. Well, I mean that's kind of what I'm doing now, but I don't really like him so it's not the same thing and it's not like he's being affected or anything because he clearly doesn't show any feelings for me and--"

"--okay," she sighed, interrupting me. I closed my mouth as my lips curled upwards to a smile. I wrapped my arms around her neck, pulling her closer to me. "Seee?" I , grinding my knuckles into the top of her head lightly. "You can't be mad at me. You love me too much." Mikyong laughed, reaching up to pinch my cheeks. "Yeah, sadly. I have to deal with your bullcrap though," she responded, sticking out her tongue at me.

I opened my mouth to retort to her, but the cable car pulled up next to us. The three of us piled into the car and enjoyed the view of the amusement park while returning to the meetup site.


Not wanting to hurt Mikyong any further, I refrained from talking to Sangchol. The plan with Kai wasn't even working anyway, so it wasn't even worth it. Besides, I wanted Mikyong to get a chance to talk to him. If things with Kai can't go well for me, Mikyong should be able to have a chance with Sangchol. I don't ever want her to feel the pain of rejection like I do. Sometimes I just want to lock her away in a closet so other people can't hurt her feelings.

We've been friends ever since we were seven. I can even clearly remember the day we first met. It was at our local community center. We were learning how to dance a traditional Korean dance, and she just moved into town and her parents decided to put her in our group.

"I've never seen you here before. Are you new?"

"Yeah."

I frowned.

"I'm Kimmy. What's your name?"

"...my name is Mikyong."

"Me what?"

"Mikyong."

"...I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you."

"My name is Mikyong!"

The girl quickly placed her hands over , realizing how loud she had responded. We quickly ducked our heads as the instructor glared at us from the front of the room. At the same time, we both started giggling.

"I was kidding. I like your boots Mikyong."

"Thanks. It's made of really cool fabric too! If you swipe your finger this way, it's lighter. If you swipe your finger that way, it gets darker!"

My shoulders slightly bounced as I chuckled to myself. We didn't even pay attention to the lesson because we were so mesmerized by the suede fabric of her boots. That's a day I'll never forget. It was the day that I met someone who could accept me for who I am, no matter how many flaws that I had.

It was the day that I met the other half of me.


**Super short update. But I'm starting the next chapter right now!!!!