FOURTEEN

Tell Me You Love Me

"Honestly, what the hell is her problem? It's not like I said, 'Oh Sanggie~! Of course I'll come over and play with you~!' Goodness! I can't even see him like that, but she still won't listen to me!" I griped, storming down the hallway in a frivolous manner. Instead of feeling remorseful, I was feeling irritated at the way Mikyong handled the situation. What was with that? I had already explained to her what was going on. I even told her that I had no intentions of being alone with Sangchol. I would've assured her more if she didn't disrespectfully ignore me like that.

"I swear, I already apologized to her once. I won't do it a second time if she won't listen to me. Not even if Sunhi makes me and forc-- oof!" My body had slammed hard into someone else as I turned the corner of the hallway, causing the stack of papers they were holding to be scattered all over the hallway floor. 

"Aw ," Kai groaned. "Not you."

I growled at him. His lips curved down in discomfort. "Jeez, it's a joke. Are you going to help me or not grumpy-pants?" he muttered, bending down to gather the white articles. I followed in suit, slowly picking up the items and adding them to the small pile he had already neatly recovered. We worked in silence as we pieced together the stack he was holding before. Once we were done, I tried to quickly step away from him but he was quicker. He had blocked my path. 

"What's wrong with you?" he said. At his tone, I sensed he was angry at me. I lowered my head in embarrassment. "I'm sorry... I wasn't looking where I was going," I muttered. Kai sighed, leaning against the wall and adjusting the papers in his hand. They must've been heavy. "No, like, what's wrong with you? You were grumbling to yourself and it was really creepy. Everyone was staring at you without you noticing it," he said.

I kicked his ankle lightly. "I'm fine." 

Kai rolled his eyes. "Shut up. You didn't retort when I called you grumpy-pants."

I bit my lip. At the gesture, he tilted his head, asking, "Did you get into a fight?"

I closed my eyes and sighed. He was always spot on. "Ohhh, I see," Kai said, smiling to himself. He smiled as if he was some sort of genius that figured out the secret to time travel. Honestly, he was just a big idiot. "Was it the tall one?"

Sunhi? I shook my head.

"Then it's the small one, right?" he finished.

I nodded.

Kai smiled softly. "Well, don't think about it too much," he said. I scoffed. Easier said than done.

Before he could leave, I called out to him. "Kai. Thanks," I said softly.

Suddenly he laughed. It kind of threw me off, so I blinked. "W-What?" I asked, suspicious.

"When I said, 'don't think about it too much', I meant that if you think too hard, you'll space out. It's going to make you an easy target in P.E. today," Kai teased, his lips pulling apart to show a neat set of teeth in an obnoxious grin.

I stomped my foot as feelings of embarrassment and spite mixed together. "You are so unbelieveable!" 


Next up was P.E. class. I sighed, deciding to keep my glasses off. Yes, it that I would be blind for a whole forty-five minutes, but it would even more if I broke them. Right now, I didn't have any money to repair or replace a pair of broken glasses. I couldn't even afford to restock my contact lenses. I could still see, but everything was all shapes and fuzzies. I wasn't able to make out the writing on the walls if I tried. 

Walking slowly to the gymnasium, I heard Sunhi and Mikyong's voices. They were laughing about something. I frowned. I knew Sunhi was always early for class, but Mikyong was always usually late. Why was she already in the gym? Had she purposefully changed before me to avoid me in the locker room?

As I walked inside, Mikyong's voice ceased laughing. "Kimmy!" Sunhi greeted, waving me over. I began to walk over, but Mikyong quickly got up and ran in the opposite direction.

I let out a meagle sigh as I plopped down next to Sunhi on the floor. "Silent treatment, huh?" she mentioned. I nodded. "How cruel. I guess I'll do the same," I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

"Wha-! Kimmy! You have to make up with her," she whined, tugging on my shoulder. "I hate when you guys fight like this. I'm always being pressured into who's side I'm on..."

"So you're saying you're on her side?"

"There it is!" she sighed, throwing her hands up in the air. "I'm on no one's side, okay. Just apologize."

I puffed my cheeks, crossing my arms in the process. "I already apologized though. You were there."

Sunhi let out another groan. A thud sounded as she leaned her head back against the wall. "That wasn't enough. Am I the only reasonable one here?"


Today we were playing volleyball. As if my day wasn't already terrible, it continued to grow worse. Mikyong ended up on my team, and both Sunhi and Kai were on the opposing. Because she was being so sour, this also meant she wasn't being the most... cooperative.

"I got it!" I called out, watching carefully as the ball was coming in my direction. I bent my knees, inhaling and exhaling as my arms locked in position. I was about to bump the ball, when all of a sudden a flash of black hair blocked my vision. Mikyong leaped high, spiking the ball over the net and winning us a point. My team cheered while I just stood there, my mouth curled in the ugliest frown that you could imagine as Mikyong huffed in my direction.

The next ball was coming, however it was more in the center between Mikyong and I. "It's mine!" she called. I scowled, reaching over to spike it. "Not anymore!" I called out, leaping in front of her just like she had done for me. My hand touched the ball first, but Mikyong already had her hand up in mid-swing when I lurched over. Her hand slapped the back of mine (causing a very, very loud and painful SMACK noise to echo) and caused the ball to rocket into the net. The ref blew the whistle and tossed the ball to the opposing team.

"Are you okay?" Sunhi called from the other side of the net. "I'm fine," both of us replied. Mikyong puffed her cheeks. "She was talking to me."

I rolled my eyes. "She was talking to the both of us."

"What's your problem? I called for it!" Mikyong said accusingly, pointing a finger at me. "Rotation!" someone called, and we both moved to our new spots. 

"My problem? I could ask the same for you! You did that to me first!" 

"So your choice was to do it back to me? Wow. Proves that you're a child. How immature," she allegated. 

That was a low blow. She was beginning to fuel the fire of my rage. "Says the actual child. I bet they only have shoes your size in the children's department."

"Kimmy!"

The ball came slamming against my temple with incredible speed. Whoever spiked that was a strong hitter. The force of the ball sent me plummeting down to the floor. The left side of my head collided with the floor as I heard a snap.

I out.