FOUR

Tell Me You Love Me

My suspicions were correct. Kai did take me to the mall afterwards. We walked amongst the shops aimlessly, observing the other couples and families besides us. "I wish I had more money," I sighed, pressing my forehead against the glass display. Kai leaned over next to me, placing a hand above his eyes so he could see better. "I'll buy it for you. In fact, I'll buy the whole store!" he said, turning to me with a cheeky grin. I blushed, turning my head away from him and back to the necklace. "No, it's okay! I don't even need that now. And why would you buy me the whole store? Where am I going to put that much jewlrey?" I asked, dragging him away from the store.

It continued on like that for a while; Kai offered to buy me things that he had no money for. In the end, I let him buy me a small bracelet. It was pretty simple. It was a silver chain with a rhinestone star charm. Smiling to myself as I held it up to the light, I thanked him for it. 

When I think about it, wasn't this a considered a date? Then, this would technically be my first date! I giggled some, stepping a bit closer to him once he began talking again. "Hey," I interrupted him, tilting my head down to my shoes. "Isn't this considered a date?" Kai smiled and shrugged. "Call it what you want," he said. He opened the door to the exit, then quickly slamming it shut infront of me. Puffing out my cheeks, I shook my head as I followed him outside.

We sat in silence for a while when waiting for the bus. "Oh," I said, my eyebrows furrowing. "there's something else in the bag." I reached into the plastic bag where my bracelet was from, pulling out another article. It was a pair of sterling silver earrings. Before I can comment, Kai reached over and snatched the item from my hands. "That isn't for you," he stated, pocketing it. I remain silent and look to the ground instead.

Waving goodbye to him, I step off the bus with a deep sigh. That escalated quickly. "I'll bet at least one hundred bucks that those earrings are for Jeong," I chuckled to myself, shaking my head. Today was supposed to be my day. He shouldn't have been thinking about Jeong. That wasn't fair, wasn't it? He could've at least been smart enough to buy the earrings on another day. He knows of my feelings, and yet he bought something for another girl when I was right there. I don't think that's right.


The next morning, I reluctantly put on the bracelet. How could I not wear it? It was so pretty and perfect. Just the fact that he bought it for me made it special. Turning to the window and seeing the weather, I quickly pulled on a cardigan and headed to school.

"Where are you?" I asked Mikyong, holding my cellphone headset to my lips.

"Getting on the bus now," she replied. There was some shuffling til I could hear her again.

I frowned. "You're late. I'm already near the station."

I can hear her sigh. "I know, I know. I lost track of time again."

I bit my lip some before coughing, "I think Kai likes Jeong."

"What?" Mikyong asked, her voice arched with suspicion. "I knew it Kim. I told you so--"

I shushed her, my lips turning down in a frown. Why was everyone against the idea of us together? "He even bought her earrings when we were at the mall yesterday."

She released an exasperated sigh. I could just imagine her in the bus: her hands on her chin as she shook her head with a monotone gaze. "We'll talk about it at school, ok?" Without another word, I hung up on her.

He probably did like Jeong. What wasn't there to like? She was nice and cute. She was small and petite. She had manners, poise, and she was girly. She was everything that I wasn't. Before I realized it, I had already gnawed down on two fingernails in anxeity. Three years was going to go down the drain if I didn't do something about it. Three years of him wasn't worth letting go of.


Because of the date, I had forgotten all about the overnight trip. We were supposed to be visiting the capital of the state and all of it's monuments. There were also fun activities planned: we were also going to the movies, arcade, and amusement park. All the worries that Kai brought me hid all of my excitement. "We're in the same room!" I cheered, my body colliding with Mikyong. She frowned, grabbing the paper from my hands. "What about Sunhi?" she asked.

"I'm rooming with someone else," Sunhi said, popping up behind us. I turned around, confused. "Why? I thought... that we would be rooming together again." We were missing one person now. Who was going to fill in the fourth place? We didn't have anyone else to fill in. If that was the case, we could get stuck with a random stranger. If that would happen half of the fun would be out of the trip.

"I guess you could go talk to the teacher about it," she said with a shrug. Sunhi waved goodbye to us as she spotted her other classmate while jogging away. 

"What the hell," Mikyong breathed, her lips flinching in confusion. "We already made plans. She can't ditch us like that. That wasn't right." A hand was brought up to gingerly rub the back of her neck as she sat down at our usual table. I had a feeling this wasn't going to be the smoothest week of my life.

 

 

 

***This is a really short chapter guys, im sorry! :c ill probably add more once my writer's block clears up a bit. im basically just forcing my story because my muse is so dead. sorry about that. if i add any changes to this chapter, ill notify it in the next.