Chapter 1: Hot Chocolate

It's Love - A Story of Sunny And Taeyeon

Sunny's POV

Oh man, I’m exhausted. We’ve just had a long dance practice session in preparation for our concert. The girls and I have been practicing the choreography for our old songs, it’s kind of surprising how much little mistakes I make even though it’s our song. We’re just packing up our stuff and leaving the dance studio.

As we exit out the door, a gush of the cold Korean breeze hits me sending shivers throughout my whole body. It was sort of a refreshing feeling after a tiring dance session, but none the less, I’m freezing my off. The SNSD members all walked in a spread out pack towards our building.

“Sunny-ah! Wait for me!” Taeyeon called out to me as she briskly waddles over to me with her crossed arms and bags hanging from her shoulders. She came up beside me and nudged me. “Aren’t you cold Sunny?”

“Of course I’m c-c-cold, I’m not wearing anything but sh-shorts and a light top. You’re one to t-t-talk, You’re wearing a singlet and even sh-sh-shorter shorts than me.” I said as I nudged her back. Even though it was freezing outside, I felt Taeyeon’s warm body when our arms made contact. I looked at her, she was really tense and her body was stiff. Hmmm. I gave her a little zap on the side of her waist with my fingers.

“Ah! What the--!” she shouted but was to cold to be audible. “What did you do that for?” she slapped me on the back. I felt that jolt of the slap like a snowball to the face. “I was trying to get the blood to circulate around your body to keep your warmer Taengoo.” I had no idea what I was talking about, I think that helps keep one warm, or maybe that’s just one of many of my theories about life.

“C’mon Sunny-ah, we both know that just makes us suffer in this cold weather more than we have to.” Taeyeon looked at me with her serious face, the face of a leader, one that is always trustworthy and someone you look up to. I looked back at her and gave a little sorry grin.

“Ah!” I screeched, I leaned over and grabbed the right side of my waist. Taeyeon just attacked me with her zap. “Taeyeon! Come back here!” She ran off to the front of the group and hid behind Sooyoung, the tallest out of the nine members. I ran after her, still a little stiff, I probably looked like a running barbie doll. Taeyeon giggled and taunted me as I chased after her, dodging the other members. Kim Taeyeon, I will get you, and when I do, I won’t let go.

*****

We’ve all reached the building and walked up the stairs. Seven of the nine girls were cold and tired, except Taeyeon and I, we walked up the stairs hand in hand still giggling about earlier. “At least we’re inside and away from the cold air.” I said in attempt to try and get a conversation started with the other members.

“Ne, What’s for dinner?” Sooyoung asked, I think it’s just her instincts to ask about food. “Anyone got any ideas?”

“Packet Ramyun.” Jessica answered in monotone.

“With? I want mine with egg and some veg…”

“Plain.” she answered again. You can tell she’s just as tired as everyone else. Everyone just wants to get inside, turn on the heater and eat. “We don’t have a lot of ingredients, some of us needs to go out grocery shopping. Volunteers?” No one answered. “Looks like we have to just eat it plain.” Jessica said with a sigh.

I looked at Taeyeon and gave her a look which meant ‘do you want to go?’ She rolled her eyes and nodded twice. “Taengoo and I will go, we’ll just get what we think we need.”

“We’ll come too.” Announced the maknae standing there arms linked with Tiffany. “I’m an expert when it comes to cooking.”

“Packet ramyun.” Sica reminded the group with a smile.

So there, Tiffany, Seohyun, Taeyeon and I are off out into the cold again to get the supples for the ramyun. Luckily, the grocery store was only across the road from our building. We all held hands and ran across the road, drivers in Korea are just like the walls from ‘Hole in the wall’. A Japanese game show that I found on the internet.

“So what are we after exactly?” Tiffany asked looking around as if she hasn’t been out grocery shopping.

“I don’t know, just look for something that you would find in ramyun.” I just sounded exactly like I described Tiffany as, I can be such a hypocrite sometimes.

Taeyeon took charge at this point. “Ok, we should look for eggs, green vegetables, any vegetables really. Maybe some pork to put in the dish, and some hot chocolate.” My face lightened up when I heard hot chocolate, I don’t mind drinking tea or coffee but when it comes to hot chocolate, I just melt. I uncontrollably gave Taeyeon a smile and she winked back at me. She winked at me, she doesn’t really do that, I know it’s just a wink but... Yeah, I’m just probably crazy about the thought of sipping on a glass of hot chocolate with Taeyeon tonight. It’s the little things that Taeyeon does that makes me happy.

*****

We’ve all made it back home safely, no one got hit by a car thankfully.

“You five,” Taeyeon pointed at the five girls sitting on the floor playing with their phones, “Prepare the meal, the four of us will expect a feast.” Taeyeon spoke like a Korean version of the queen. We all giggled as we put the items on the kitchen top. The five girls stood up without question and started preparing the meal.

“Sunny-ah, come with me.” The kid leader took me by surprised as she quickly snatched my hand and dashed into our room and closed the door behind us. She stood there looking at me, I stood there looking back.

“I’m going to put on something warmer,” I broke the silence and turned towards the wardrobe. Taeyeon grabbed me by both wrists and turned me around to face her. She pulled me closer. We were so close that any sudden movement would make our lips touch.

She just stood there holding me, breathing softly. Her eyes, her breathing, her warmth. It’s too much for me to handle and I leaned back and whipped my arm out of her grip. I wanted her, I really did, I had no idea what was going to happen if I let it continue. All that I could say was “byuntae.”

She looked at me confused. “I’m not a byuntae, I was just…” she didn’t finish her sentence. What was she going to say, so many possible outcomes ran through my head. ‘…just want to kiss you’, ‘…just gazing into your beautiful eyes’, ‘…just wanted to let you know that I love you’. What am I even thinking, Taeyeon is my friend, not a lover, why do I have to be cursed into loving my best friend? It was then that I realised that I was just standing in the middle of the room staring at nothing, in deep thought.

“Sunny-ah! You should wear this pink hoodie, it matches with my blue one.” I looked over at her, I didn’t even notice that she has put on a hoodie. She hands me my pink one, that’s right, we have matching hoodies. Best friends have matching clothes. I slipped it on and gave Taetae two thumbs up. She gave two thumbs up back at me.

“So, what did you want that you had to rush me into our room?” I brought back the subject of why she did what she did in the first place. The kid just grinned at me for a few seconds and wrapped her arms around me.

“You’re so warm Sunny-ah, let’s not go outside for a while and just keep warm in here.”

I couldn’t help but smile to myself and wrap my arms around her. “Good idea.” I quietly said with a sigh.

*****

“Mmmmm! The ramyun is so good.” Sooyoung just couldn’t help herself but make loud remarks about how good the food is.

“Yuri, open up.” Yoona fed her some meat and Yuri exchanged the offering by feeding her some kimchi.

“We’ve done such a good job haven’t we?” Jessica stuck out her pointed chin proudly. “This is worth getting the ingredients, thank you team grocery shoppers!”

“No, thank you team kitchen dwellers.” Everyone laughed at Tiffany’s reply. “It’s really a nine member team effort to prepare dinner, ne?”

“Huff, that ramyun made me so warm inside, but I don’t think I can eat another bite.” I put my chopsticks down and looked across the room. Sooyoung stared at my ramyun soup. I just shook my head and laid down onto the heated floor.

Hyoyeon stood up and grabbed the finished plates. “Anyone up for some hot chocolate?” Hyoyeon loves hot chocolate as much as I do, so I shot up and helped her prepare a cup for everyone. “Sunny, you really need to practice the choreography a few more times, you’ve forgotten some key steps.”

“Ne ne, I’ll do it, just not today, I want my hot chocolate.”

“Can’t the kettle boil any slower!” she jokingly fist pumped at the kettle. Oh Hyoyeon, I hope that’s not a new dance routine.

“Everyone, your drinks are on the kitchen bench, grab it before it gets cold.” I grabbed two cups, one for me and one for Taeyeon. “C’mon Taeyeon-ah.” I twitched my head towards the bedroom, and she followed.

*****

I carefully sat on the bed against the wall and handed over one of the cups to Taeyeon who was sitting next to me. Taeyeon pulled the blankets over our legs and carefully took the hot chocolate. We both sipped on it in sync and breathed out deeply from the deliciousness of it. We just sat there enjoying our drink without a saying a word. Taeyeon occasionally closed her eyes, I was tempted to peck her on the cheek every time she did. She then looked at me and our eyes met, I quickly looked away and took a sip.

“What was that?” She said giggly and confused.

“What was what?”

“Don’t you like looking at me when I look at you?”

For some reason, I didn’t want to answer that question. It was like I was trying to hide my affection from her. What am I thinking? Of course I am trying to hide it. Instead I looked down and smiled. “I’m finished with my hot chocolate.”

Taeyeon smiled and looked into her cup, “do you want the rest of mine?”

“Aniyo, I’ve already had my daily dose of hot chocolate.”

Taeyeon acted like she didn’t hear me, she knew how much I liked hot chocolate. She stirred her drink with her teaspoon and scooped some of the liquid and held the spoon in front of my mouth. I think I’m going to die from her kindness. Taeyeon, you cannot imagine how much I appreciate your kindness to me. I want to tell you my true feelings but I’m scared it will ruin our friendship.

Taeyeon gave me a nod and moved the spoon closer. I had no choice but to take Taeyeon’s offer. She gave me a cute smile and scooped another spoon full of hot chocolate. “You’re so aegyo Sunny bunny.” That made me blush so hard, I love it when Taengoo calls me Sunny bunny. It’s the little things that Taeyeon does that makes me happy.