Chapter 7

My Brother's Best Friend

Cough. So.... This happened. :D 

I stifled a groan as Eunhye fawned (again) over some mannequin wearing a pink frilled dress as Himchan-hyung blabbered on about the glossy material he had sourced from Europe or the intricate patterns of thorned roses on the sleeves, symbolising the good and bad in each person’s soul (his words not mine).

It had been over 4 hours since we’d entered this godforsaken death trap, which meant it was probably around 8-9pm now. Yongguk-hyung had disappeared into the crowd, trying to find his girlfriend and so, he'd dumped me here alone. As such, I was forced to follow Eunhye along like a puppy as she jumped from display to display, cooing lovingly about Himchan-hyung’s talent.

Himchan-hyung, in his failed endeavour to be “eco-friendly”, had decided to go with large fans instead of the good old trustworthy air conditioner for his bazaar. It was so hot and humid I could almost see water from the air condensing onto my skin. Not only that, it was crowded with our fans (the human ones, not the electronic ones), which was frustrating and just a little frightening because they kept trying to touch my . And Himchan-hyung only thought to cater to the population who were on permanent diets because there was only water available and NO SNACKS, not even the cute little complimentary cupcakes they usually gave out, and that really hurt me right in the soul.

Also, Eunhye was spending all her attention on Himchan-hyung and not me which totally didn’t make me feel jealous or anything except I wanted to punch the smirk off Himchan-hyung’s face just a little bit when he caught me glaring at them. Stupid Himchan-hyung and his nice hair. I ruffled my own blue hair in frustration. Maybe it’s time for a colour change, I remarked offhandedly to myself when I felt another hand ghosting up the back of my pants.

I swatted the offending girl off, glaring before sending a beseeching gaze to Eunhye.

Can we leave yet? I’m so bored… I mouthed, my eyes going liquid-y in an attempt to reach her inner kind soul whom I was sure was just hiding underneath all those layers of thorns.

She frowned, rolled her eyes and turned back to Himchan-hyung. Ouch.

My phone buzzed, interrupting me from my Eunhye-doesn’t-love-me sulk.

“Oh thank god you called,” I sighed heavily into the mouthpiece. “I don’t know why I agreed to come here with Eunhye. It’s so incredibly boring and people keep trying to touch my .”

“Well, if it makes you feel better I can help you get out,” Dari’s voice crackled through the phone mysteriously. “Sleepover at my house in 15 minutes.”

“This is why you’re my best friend,” I felt the tears gather in my eyes as I savoured the sweet, sweet taste of freedom on the tip of my tongue. “I love you Dari.”

“Yeah, it sounds weird coming from you,” she snorted and put the phone down before I could say more.

Ah well, I couldn’t help the grin popping up onto my face as I made my way over to the pair currently engrossed in whatever fashion conversation they were having.

“Eunhye!” I patted her shoulder excitedly. “We have to go!”

“B-b-b-b-but-” she whined as I dragged her out of the stuffy building, leaving Himchan-hyung to admire his clothes.

---

“Alright, what’s the big news?” Eunhye slammed the door open as I followed her in, wincing at the noise.

Hyosung-unnie hurriedly took our coats as Eunhye took the stairs two at a time, dashing up to Dari’s room as I ran after her. Why is she so athletic again?

I reached Dari’s floor, panting heavily with beads of sweat rolling down my forehead. Eunhye was staring agape at the wide open door.

“W-w-what’s wrong?” I vainly tried to catch my breath, chest heaving. I stumbled over and peered into the room.

Dari was on the floor. Youngjae-hyung was playing with her hair. She was lying on his lap while he leaned against the bed. A huge bowl of popcorn was lying between them. Their fingers were linked together. Some comedy movie was playing on her television.

The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back was when I saw the look in each other’s eyes when they gazed at each other.

I couldn’t help it.

“Junhong!” Eunhye hissed, clamping her hand over my mouth but it was too late.

“OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!” I screamed shrilly, ripping her hand off my mouth. “MY SHIP! MY SHIP HAS SAILED! MY SHIP HAS DEPARTED FROM THE HARBOUR! MY SHIP IS GOING TO BE FREEEEEEEEE!!!”          

Eunhye swiftly kicked me in the kneecap, cutting off any further screams of exultation.

As I crumbled to the ground, tears freefalling from my eyes, she stepped calmly over me, making her way into the room.

“Being a little inconspicuous eh?” she remarked drily, popping a piece of popcorn into .

“Daehyun’s at his music academy,” Youngjae-hyung replied, eyes still on the television. “We’re free to do whatever.”

Dari moved to a sitting position as I peeled myself off the ground before plonking myself next to them. She leaned slightly into Youngjae-hyung as he held an arm protectively around her. I stifled a grin at that sight. Eunhye on my right however, didn’t look as pleased.

“What’s the matter?” I whispered to her as she frowned at the couple.

“Nothing,” she turned to me, faking a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

I stared at her concernedly as Dari cleared , attracting our attention back to her.

“Sunhwa-unnie already got the extra mattresses and stuff,” she grinned. “I haven’t talked to you guys for really long!”

“Yeah, it’s almost been like a year and a month! (lol joke)” Eunhye joked. “Seriously Dari, it’s only been 6 hours. Now spill the beans about this.”

She pointed to Dari’s and Youngjae-hyung’s linked hands.

“Well…” Dari coughed, her face turning beet red. “We’ve decided to go out.”

The silly grin that popped up on Youngjae-hyung’s face was so heartening I could have cried, but I held myself in because I was manly and real men don’t cry! Plus Eunhye was there and I didn’t want her to see me all snivelly.

Swiftly, Dari told us the story about how she and Youngjae-hyung finally got together. I got the feeling she skipped some parts though, because she shared a few secretive looks with Youngjae-hyung.

While I was aww-ing and ah-ing at the right moments, Eunhye was looking more and more troubled. I stole glances at her now and then, noting how her brow furrowed and how she nibbled her lip. That was a very nice lip. I unconsciously nibbled my own as Dari chattered on.

“Zelo, what do you think?” her voice dragged me back into reality.

“Huh?” I mumbled stupidly.

“What we should do about Daehyun and Dari’s parents,” Youngjae-hyung cut in. He looked really worried, poor guy.

I thought for a while. While Daehyun-hyung and their parents deserved to know, I knew how he’d react, especially since it concerned his favourite person in the world. Youngjae-hyung didn’t need the stress of his best friend being mad at him, especially when the leaving exams were in just another 2 months and if he wanted to make it to TSU, he’d have to keep up his scholarship.

“I think you shouldn’t say anything right now,” I offered to them. “At least wait until the leaving exams are over. There's no use causing unnecessary tension in your friendship right now anyway."

I was about to say more when a loud voice thundered from the bottom.

“Riri! Jae! I’m home!” Daehyun-hyung’s shrill voice sounded, his loud footsteps stomping up the stairs.

“And that’s my cue to leave this room,” Youngjae-hyung picked his bag up, placing a kiss on Dari's temple. “I’m his tutor for today.”

“I’ll walk you out,” she followed him to the door just as it slammed open.

“Hey Jae, you’ve been waiting long?” Daehyun-hyung grinned toothily at him as he held his arms open for Dari. “Ah, Zelo and Eunhye are staying over?”

“Yep,” she nodded happily, burying herself into her brother’s arms.

“Zelo, you behave yourself around these two girls!” Daehyun-hyung mock-glared at me before planting a kiss on his sister’s forehead. “Alright, don’t be too noisy kids! Hyung is going to study hard!”

He pumped his fist hard into the air and danced off to his room, Youngjae-hyung following close behind him.

"So what do you guys wanna do now?" Dari turned to us, beaming widely.

“Welll, we haven’t had a movie night in a while,” Eunhye shrugged. “It is a Sunday tomorrow after all. We can stay up as long as we want!”

“You know…” Dari walked to her cupboard and dug out a copy of The Exorcist amongst her large collection of movies. “I’ve got just the thing.”

I blanched as Eunhye’s eyes lit up.

Oh no.

----

Five devastating hours of horror movies later, we were all curled up in our mattresses, hiding under the blankets as The Shining played on Dari's plasma television. Eunhye was sitting with Dari while I lay on mine alone. The house was pitch dark, with only the light from the TV illuminating our faces, as well as the dozens of glow-in-the-dark stars covering Dari’s wall.

I never had a penchant for horror movies, though Eunhye loved them with a passion, even when she got scared to tears. I loved watching her watch horror movies. She had this habit where she’d squeak like a balloon whenever she was jumpscared, and it was pretty entertaining.

Dari and Eunhye huddled together, screaming shrilly as that weird doll thing popped out of nowhere. I looked at them fondly, a familiar ache tugging at my heart as I focused on Eunhye.

She really wasn’t like most people. She was beautiful, no doubt about it. Her eyes were light brown and expressive, framed by delicate eyelashes. Her skin was tanned and healthy from all the athletics she did. Whenever she smiled, her eyes would crinkle and it was adorable. Admittedly, she had really good curves and muscles and I’d stopped myself from ogling too long more than once. But she was also the friendliest and the kindest girl I’d ever met. Even my dad liked her! Even if she wasn’t book-smart, she was witty and more than able to hold a conversation. I couldn’t find any part of her which I particularly disliked.

Okay fine, I'll admit it. Eunhye's got my heart twisted into knots. Yep, I've caught the feels for her.

“Hey, emo boy!” Eunhye called, interrupting me from my stupor, her voice muffled by the blanket she was hiding under. “Come join us! It’s not fun if you’re not screaming along.”

I stifled a chuckle and made my way over, snuggling beside her form, just as the doll thing popped up again, it's creepy eyes staring right into my soul.

Giving a manly shriek, I dived under the covers.

Fantastic night indeed.

---

Rustling bedsheets. Footsteps tapping lightly against the floor.

I cracked my eye open. A silhouette was tiptoeing towards the door. My eyes flitted to beside me, expecting a curled-up ball of Eunhye, but the space was empty.

I checked the clock groggily.

4am? I blinked sleepily, yawning. What was Eunhye doing up at 4am?

The door closed softly with a soft thud.

I stretched my back muscles tiredly before padding out of the door after Eunhye.

She was sitting on Dari’s old swingset in the backyard, looking at the full moon above. I moved slowly as to not scare her, easing myself into the seat next to her. She did look ethereal in the moonlight. Her hair seemed to sparkle, like a million diamonds were weaved between her locks. Her eyes were especially beautiful, glinting like gems, yet with tears pooling in them. Her lips were pink and slightly pursed.

It's 4am; I'm allowed to wax lyrical about a girl I have feelings for!

“What’s up?” I asked quietly, gazing at her.

 “It’s not fair,” she choked out, tears b in her eyes. “She didn’t do anything and she got a really nice and sweet boyfriend, yet I can’t seem to go anywhere with anyone, no matter how hard I try.”

The cicadas chirped loudly in the background, further highlighting how quiet and late it was.

"It's not like I hate her and him together," she rubbed at her eyes with her sleeve roughly. "I just... wish I had someone who would look at me like he looks at her."

“You do have someone,” I said under my breath.

My heart thumped as she chuckled bitterly.

“Who?” her lips curved into a sarcastic smile.

I didn’t like this smile on her. It looked hopeless, like she had nothing left. I never wanted to see her smile like that again. Yet it gave me the courage to do what I had wanted to do but could never do for the past four years.

“Me,” I breathed, before I leaned in and touched my lips to hers gently, thumb grazing her chin.

After a short moment, she responded, moving slowly against me.

My heart was in my mouth, palpitating loudly and painfully as we kissed under the stars.

She pulled away first, blushing furiously.

“That was-”

“I’m sorry,” she interrupted.

My heart stopped. Sorry?

“I don’t think of you that way.”

I wasn’t listening anymore.

“I… We’re just friends, Zelo.”

I couldn’t even muster up a debate. My heart felt like it had been torn from my ribcage and thrown into the bin. With hot tears gathering in my eyes, I turned around without a word and headed back into the house, taking the stairs two at a time, Eunhye running after me.

“Zelo- Zelo wait up, please-”

I stuffed all of my things into my bag, the tears blurring my vision as I hefted it over one shoulder and turned to go.

 “Jelly, please look at me, I can-”

“Save it.” My voice was surprisingly calm, for all the emotions I felt bursting out of my throat. I wanted to scream. I wanted to curl into a ball and cry. I wanted to hit something. What about that kiss? my mouth longed to beg. Why did you respond if you don't feel the same way? I wanted to shake her, to make her realise that she didn’t truly love Himchan-hyung and that she loved me instead.

But I didn’t.

I left the house at 4.30am with Eunhye staring forlornly after me, the full moon illuminating the road home.

I'm back~ Pleasedon'tkillmeIswearitwasn'tonpurpose really I love you guys like thiiiiiiiiiiiiis much but um life kinda got in the way hahaha I'm sorry :(( Is this chapter sad? Should Zelo and Eunhye get together or should they remain friends? :O Do let me know in the comments and if you like, please subscribe/comment/upvote IDK how this works anymore LOL WHY IS AFF BLUE WHY IS THE FONT LESS WEIRD everything is strange help D: Next chapter should be released by next week!

-Peanut

PS: I'm sorry for disappearing... :'(

PPS: It's my holidays! I can write more! Hurray!

PPPS: If the tone of the second part of the chapter seems completely different from the first part I admit I wrote it on two separate occcasions so it sounds a little weird :(

PPPPS: If you have anything to say, please leave it in the comments! I'd love to see what you guys think hehe <3