Chapter 12

My Brother's Best Friend

Jung Ganghan had never thought of himself as being a particularly healthy gentleman. With documents to sign, several branches of Ganghan Bank to run, a family of four to provide for, a house of workers to pay, a particularly needy son to take care of, an introverted daughter who often worried him with her lack of playmates and a wife who was loving yet so independent and fierce at the same time, he never had the time to look after himself or his body.

He had been losing a lot of weight recently, but he’d attributed that to stress and not eating enough. His back pain was likely due to hours of slouching in his chair during meetings… the chills due to the weather recently becoming colder as autumn progressed to winter… that terrible abdominal pain plaguing him for months had been just some indigestion… the weakness in his limbs just due to work stress.

He’d thought to see a doctor about it, but he’d never had the time.

And then he out.

His life flashed before his eyes as he collapsed onto the ground face-first, his secretary dashing into the room and dropping her papers in horror.

He saw his beautiful children, grown healthy and strong. Daehyun from a snivelling, whining boy with a scary love for his sister growing into an independent, strong young man who still had a terrifying love for his sister. Dari from a ball of fiery energy to a quiet, reserved young woman with a big heart and a sweet smile.

He saw his wife. Her greying hairs swept free from her face; the twinkle in her eyes as she discussed politics; her one dimple just hidden under her smile lines as her eyes crinkled, laughing at a joke he made; her fierce disciplinary tone when it came to her children, a fierce lioness protecting her cubs.

All he had ever wanted in his life was for his children and his wife to be happy. He just wanted to see smiles on their faces for the rest of their lives, and for them to be safe from harm.

Ganghan couldn’t stop his eyes from closing as a loud scream emitted from his secretary’s lips.

---

I couldn’t hear anything over the rush of blood in my ears. My vision was tunnelling; pretty much the only thing I could see was the seat in front of me and the “SURGERY” sign lit up in bright glaring red.

My father…

The call from Mr. Park kept playing in my head.

“Ms. Jung? I am required to take you to the hospital now. Your father has just taken very ill… He has out at his office and has not recovered… Yes, please get ready now, I will be coming immediately.”

Father was what, 60 years old? Didn’t these things happen to people with 80 year old fathers? How could it have happened to mine?

He’d just come back from his business trip a week ago, all happy and healthy. And now…

My fingers were clenched white over my knees as Mother paced back and forth the waiting room. Hyunnie-oppa was seated beside me, fists clenched over his face.

As far as I knew, we had been rushed to the private hospital my father’s close friend owned. We’d been seated in the waiting room for… an hour? Two?

I could barely keep track. Time seemed to be moving at a snail’s pace.

How had I not noticed? He’d been getting frightfully skinny recently, he was no longer as energetic as he used to be… He’d been complaining of aches and pains every day but I’d turned a blind eye to it. What sort of daughter was I?

The entrance doors slammed open.

A warm coffee was urged into my cold hands as two pairs of arms enveloped my figure. Instinctively, I knew they were here.

Zelo and Eunhye sat next to me wordlessly, but their eyes held more than enough compassion and sympathy.

I dug my face into Eunhye’s neck, silent tears leaking out as the entrance doors slammed open again.

“Daehyun, we just heard about the news,” I heard Yongguk-oppa’s deep voice boom. “Are you alright?”

My brother didn’t reply verbally, but the rest crowded around him anyway. I kept my eyes squeezed shut. I knew my boyfriend was here, but somehow, longing for him while Mother was in such pain seemed… cruel.

Father had always been there for me, caring and protecting me throughout the years. He’d watched me grow, and he hadn’t been like Zelo’s father, who forced him to learn the company trade, even though I knew I would one day want to take over the company’s reins.

But I didn’t want it now. I wanted my Papa back, robust and healthy. I wanted him to hug me and call me “Baby” like he used to when I was a kid. I wanted him to swing me high in the air, and talk to me over breakfast, and call me up when he went overseas to check on me.

I just wanted my Papa alive.

The surgery sign clicked off as a buzz sounded, alerting us that the surgery was over.

Mother immediately strode over to the doors of the surgery room. The doctors proceeded out of the room, removing their masks.

A slight nod of their head relieved the worst fears in me. Father had woken up. Hyunnie-oppa and I rose from our seats, moving towards Mother and the doctors.

But their next few words drove spears of ice into my heart.

“The patient has regained consciousness, but the results from our tests are not good. He has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and it has spread to his bones and his lungs. It has also formed several blood clots in his limbs, which has impeded blood flow, causing him to be unable to walk anymore.”

Mother collapsed onto the ground in a faint as my heart dropped to my feet. Jongup-oppa immediately moved to help Mother as Eunhye kept a firm grip on my arms, letting me lean against her.

“H-how long?” my voice cracked.

“3 to 6 months, on average, a year at best.”

We only had a year left with him?

Father would be gone by… my 17th birthday?

“When can we see him?” Hyunnie-oppa’s voice was steady but choked with fear and grief.

“We are currently still monitoring him, but you are free to visit him now. Not too much noise, as we don’t want him to be too stressed out,” the doctors said quietly. “We suggest that you spend as much time as you can for now, and make sure his last wishes are fulfilled before he passes on.”

They let us pass by them without another word.

I cautiously swung the door open and proceeded inside, flanked by Hyunnie-oppa and Mother, who was supported by Jongup-oppa.

Father was lying in his bed, looking especially haggard. He had never been skinny in his life and had always been rotund but his physique had deteriorated drastically. He looked like a skeleton with skin attached, the large bed making him look even smaller.

How could I not have noticed this? Had I been too caught up in my boy drama that my Father’s illness had escaped me?

Father must have seen the look on my face as he smiled merrily, like his old self.

“I’m not dead yet, Baby,” he said tiredly, opening his arms wide.

I rushed into his arms headfirst, but it just made me feel worse. How could I not have seen this? Why hadn’t he said anything?

“We still have at least a quarter of a year left together,” he whispered into my ear.

I nodded desperately. We still had time together.

“Can you and Daehyun wait outside? I need to talk to your mother for a while,” he looked up to her tenderly as she held back a sob.

I nodded my head and unwillingly let him go, taking Hyunnie-oppa outside with me.

He seemed dazed and out of sorts, like he couldn’t believe what had just happened. Neither could I.

We exited, where I was immediately confronted by warm, familiar arms.

I burst into tears, the hot liquid soaking into his shirt. He merely held me close, not uttering a single word as I bawled it out.

Eventually, my loud sobs turned into quiet whimpers, as the steady feeling of his warm arms encasing my body wrapped me in layers of comfort and familiar sorrow.

“I-it’s my fault,” I gulped back more sobs. “I-I should have noticed, we could have-”

“It’s no one’s fault,” his voice rumbled with surprising fierceness. “Don’t blame yourself or think of what-ifs. Think of the time you have left with your father, and spend as much time as you can with him while you can. I’m here for you, no matter how long it takes.”

I buried my face into his shirt, revelling in our closeness as his words sunk in.

Yes, I shouldn’t blame myself. Did Father blame me? If he didn’t, why should I?

What I had to focus on was making Father’s journey as comfortable as possible, and stay with him until he left us. Only then could I make it up to him.

---

Autumn transitioned into biting winter, when the mansion became colder than ever.

“Baby, call me Papa, like you did last time, okay?” Father’s voice interrupted my reading of the new book I’d brought him. “And call your mother Mama.”

“Okay, Papa,” I smiled at him.

It had been a month since we had gotten the news. Somehow, some way or another, we’d adjusted to it.

Papa had moved back home, the doctors supplying him with a trained nurse and regular medications. His diagnosis had not improved, unfortunately. We were still left with that impending deadline.

Mama had taken time off work to be with him 24/7. They loved each other, and she was staying strong for him, though you could see her crack sometimes, especially during interviews.

I often spent time with him reading, or replacing the flowers in his bedroom, or just talking to him. I made him many of his favourite foods to keep him happy, and though it was a terrible time for all of us, I was honestly glad that we’d become closer than ever.

Hyunnie-oppa would play the piano for him. He’d learnt how to from Himchan-oppa, and he often played Father’s favourite tunes. He also brought Papa out for outings so that he wouldn’t be bored at home.

Altogether, we made quite a comfortable cycle, and Papa was never left alone for very long. We wanted to make his final months as enjoyable as we could, and the tragedy had brought us all closer together.

A polite knock sounded at the door.

“Come in,” Papa said.

To my surprise, Youngjae-oppa walked in. I hadn’t seen him for over a month, ever since Papa had been diagnosed. I spent every waking minute with Papa, but we communicated often online, before I went to bed. Youngjae-oppa had also taken up a job, but he said he wanted to keep it as a surprise for me.

I stared at him in surprise as Papa beckoned him to come closer.

“I’ve asked Youngjae to come today because I want to talk to you both.”

We looked at each other in confusion. What on earth would he want to talk about?

“Your mother has told me about your relationship with each other,” Papa continued. “How long has this been going on?”

“About half a year, sir,” Youngjae-oppa bowed respectfully.

“Baby, does he make you happy?” Papa turned to me.

“… Yes, he makes me very happy,” I answered honestly. “Papa… I love him.”

“Youngjae, does Dari make you happy?” he questioned.

“She makes me the happiest man in the world,” he answered.

“Youngjae, I’ve always wanted… for my family to be happy,” Papa paused for breath. “All my life, I have just had two goals: to be a successful man, and to have a wonderful family. And I’ve had both. I’ve carved out a name for myself, made my company one of the biggest in Korea; and I have raised two wonderful, mature, thoughtful, filial children, with a loving, understanding and doting wife.”

I felt my eyes water. He loved me so much I couldn’t breathe.

“Youngjae, what can you give Dari?”

A pause ensued.

“I would give her my life, sir,” was his answer. “She means the world to me. Before I met her, I was so lost. I never knew what I wanted to do in my life. But now, I have a dream and a plan. I will study medicine and neuroscience in Seoul National University.”

I took in a sharp breath. Youngjae-oppa was going to study medicine? He never told me! And what happened to TSU?

“I was offered a full scholarship in medicine by the SNU Hospital a week back, which I accepted. I will do my best and train to be the best neurosurgeon that I can be, not only so that Dari will be provided for, but also that I can finally realise my dream of making a difference. I would never have dreamed of achieving anything, if it weren’t for Dari. She has inspired me so much, and I want to be the right person for her. I was planning for it to be a surprise for her, but I suppose now it’s out.”

“So that job you’ve been having…” I trailed off unsurely.

“I’m just assisting the pharmacist at the hospital. He’s teaching me about all the effects and the names of the different medications,” he looked so excited I wanted to hug him. “It’s really interesting… I think this is what I want in life.”

Papa let out a short laugh.

“I’m glad Youngjae… you have a mind of your own. Never forget your own dreams though you are in a relationship. I’m glad that my daughter has given you so much.”

I discreetly wiped my tears away. I never knew I influenced him that much, for him to develop a dream of his own. He’d never told me about his aims for the future, but now he had somewhere that he wanted to be, and I was so happy for him.

“Youngjae, you are a fine young gentleman, and I have hope that you will fulfil your duties well as Dari’s chosen one. You have been a respectful young man, always greeting me and Dari’s mother whenever we meet. You are responsible, helping Daehyun to mature and Dari to blossom. You are a kind and eager boy who is always ready to learn. Despite your circumstances, you have grown into a wonderful man, and I know Dari has made a good choice.”

Youngjae-oppa bowed his head bashfully.

“Dari, treasure this man,” he turned to me again. “He is truly a diamond. If he can love you even as much as I do, you two will go far in life.”

I nodded firmly, my hand clasped around Youngjae-oppa’s.

“I won’t be around for your wedding, but you have my blessings,” he smiled tiredly at the both of us.

I couldn’t stop the wide smile splitting my cheeks open as Youngjae-oppa heaved a sigh of relief.

“Can you send your mother in? I want to talk to her. Don’t mind her too much, she’s just worried that you wouldn’t be able to take care of her, especially with her running the business when I’m gone.”

Papa looked dreadfully tired and my heart lurched. Nodding my head quickly, I pulled Youngjae-oppa out and motioned for Mama to go in.

Youngjae-oppa wrapped his arms around me as the door closed. I sagged against him, visibly relieved.

Papa supported us.

Papa was always the one who watched out for my happiness and wellbeing first. He was never concerned by status or any frivolous things like looks and wealth. He cared about the heart, and I knew that with him by our side, we might just win.

I looked up into Youngjae-oppa’s eyes, which were crinkled in happiness.

“I’ll tell my mum about this later,” he whispered. “Maybe she’ll finally relent.”

I thought back to how stiff and cold her response had been to me after she’d found out we were dating. I repressed my doubts about her, but nodded instead.

We just had to believe, right?