Chapter 9

My Brother's Best Friend

I'm back! I promised I'd finish it and I will!!! >:( I'm really feeling the fire for this fic again, here's hoping I can write more soon! As always, I love all of you deeply, and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

The seconds ticked past slowly. The hall was eerily quiet as dozens of heads bent low over their papers, backs stooped and hands rushing across papers furiously.

Youngjae was barely aware of the people beside and around him as he scanned his paper, his right hand automatically recording the workings he had in his head onto the scrap paper. He anxiously scribbled the workings onto the actual paper, checking now and then for any errors.

He had to do well.

He could almost hear every word of his mother’s emotional lecture a month ago about how he was gambling the security of her job just for a girl, how he wouldn’t be able to satisfy her needs because they weren’t rich enough, etcetera etcetera. And Youngjae did understand her point of view, especially since he had met the great and powerful Mr. and Mrs Jung Ganghan, and they were both extraordinarily terrifying, and he was poorer than Dari.

But he couldn’t imagine his life without her, now that she was finally his. He couldn’t imagine not hearing her voice every night, or not reading her texts every day updating him on everything, or even not smelling her orangey scent. Just this morning she’d sent him a selca wishing him luck, and telling him to think of her if he couldn’t remember anything. Just thinking of her brought a smile to his face.

And so, he’d decided to not just pass his CSATs with the scores he usually got, but to be in the top 50 in the country. With that under his belt, no university would refuse him, and he could even go overseas to study whatever! Dari’s father and mother would also finally see him as a viable option for their precious baby, and Mum’s job wouldn’t be affected.

“Five more minutes,” the examining officer announced. “Do remember to write your name, number and date on the front page, and check your work thoroughly.”

Youngjae busied himself with glancing through his work, ensuring no carelessness. One careless mistake could cost him his spot in the top 50.

“Pens down.”

With a sigh, the entire hall packed up their things as invigilators traversed the rows, collecting the papers as fast as possible.

The paper hadn’t been incredibly easy, but most of the question types were present in the CSAT papers from 20 years ago to last year, and Youngjae had done them all twice so he was pretty much okay with it. It was a rather promising start to his CSATs.

“You may leave.”

Chairs scraped simultaneously as everyone stood to leave, some with relieved faces while even more others looking like they’d given up all hope.

Youngjae made his way out of the hall and grabbed his bag, looking out for Daehyun’s head of black hair.

His mum and brother had both accompanied him to school today and told him to come home immediately after the paper so they could ask how it was, but Youngjae wanted to see how Daehyun was faring.

For the entire one month, Daehyun had never looked so stressed. He had told him he was aiming for Seoul University’s law department, since he loved debate and humanities, but it was notoriously hard to get into.

His phone trilled, and Youngjae hesitantly picked up.

“Where are you?! It’s been 10 minutes since you ended the paper and you should be home by now! Stop fooling around and come back immediately! You’ve got another paper tomorrow morning and we need to prepare you!” his mother screamed into the phone as Youngjae winced.

“Yes umma,” he sighed heavily. “I’ll come back now.”

Abandoning the search for Daehyun, Youngjae headed towards the entrance of the school to get home.

---

I sat by my phone anxiously, continually checking the clock and checking the phone if he’d texted yet.

The phone buzzed.

It was pretty okay. A bit tough at the end but I should score well. Going home now.

I sighed in relief and texted him back.

Still in school, I’ll call Mr. Park! >w< Meet at the school foyer?

On the way to school, Hyunnie-oppa had been listless and quiet, forlornly staring out the window and not even eating his cake. Indeed that was a cause for concern, seeing as he’d never refused his slice(s) before. I had been so worried about Hyunnie-oppa’s CSATs and about this morning that I barely had enough energy to revise for my own papers, which would commence the day after and end a day before his ended.

I had accompanied him there this morning as a representative for my parents (Father was in Taiwan on a business trip while Mother was in America meeting the other government officials from all over the world).

Hurriedly packing my things, I shrugged my backpack on and exited the library, heading towards the basement cafeteria. Just as I crossed the courtyard, I noticed a familiar head bobbing to music at the corner of the yard.

“Eunhye, why are you in school when school’s been cancelled for the CSATs?” I asked quizzically, squatting to her level.

“Oh Dari!” Eunhye looked up. “I didn’t realise you’d be here.”

“I was studying in the library and waiting for Hyunnie-oppa,” I cocked my head cautiously, realising her eyes were a little brighter than usual. “Is everything okay…?”

She looked back down to the ground as I settled myself in front of her, ready to have the girl-to-girl talk that we were supposed to have a month ago, when all the nonsense between her and Zelo started.

“I…” she heaved a sigh, voice thick with emotion. “I think…”

“I don’t know how I feel about Junhong,” she confessed, eyes tearing up. “He’s really important to me, but I’ve had a crush on Himchan-oppa for so long it’s just…”

I sighed. Relationship problems .

“You know, a wise lady called Kim Sarang once told me in the Idiot’s Guide to Love that love isn’t about looks or status… Love is a decision that you make about someone else. I think you should think a little more about how you feel towards the both of them and make a decision… Zelo doesn’t deserve to be treated like this,” I finished off with a tight bear hug, hoping that I could wake her up. “If you really feel that strongly for Himchan-oppa, then I say go for it, but I know that Zelo really loves you. Whichever decision you make, I will support you.”

“… You’re right,” she whispered, wiping her eyes with the sleeves of her uniform. “I’ve been so selfish… I need to go for a run and think.”

We both stood up as she wrapped her muscular arms around me tightly (ow).

“Thanks Dari,” she grinned through watery eyes. “Best friends forever?”

“Of course, pabo,” I grinned back. “Run it out and let me know what you decide!”

The trill of my ringtone interrupted our girl moment. Glancing at the screen, I blanched.

“I have to go now! Hyunnie-oppa’s been waiting for the past ten minutes! See you!” I waved goodbye at Eunhye, who looked much brighter than before, and dashed to the cafeteria.

---

On the way home, Hyunnie-oppa was surprisingly subdued. He’d chopped his hair short before the exams started, and the short black strands were ruffling due to the air conditioner. It was eerily quiet, Mr. Park not making the slightest bit of noise.

“Is anything wrong?” I questioned anxiously, not wanting my favourite person to be upset.

He heaved a deep sigh, before turning to me and staring beseechingly into my eyes with his own dark brown ones.

“Dari… You wouldn’t keep anything from me right?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah, of course not! You’re my most important person, why would I keep anything from you?” I reassured him, though a tiny pinprick of guilt latched itself onto my heart as Youngjae-oppa’s face came to mind.

He smiled weakly at me before turning away, obviously still burdened by whatever.

I sighed inwardly.

This was going to be one awkward ride home.

---

“Make sure you study well tonight, alright?” Mother frowned at Hyunnie-oppa. “It’s your Humanities paper tomorrow, and it will be imperative towards your studies if you’re really aiming to be a lawyer.”

“Yes Mummy,” he whined. “I’ll do fine, don’t worry! I’ve studied really hard for the past month or so!”

“Yes you have,” she said, pride seeping into her voice. “I’m just worried about you, that’s all.”

We were both clustered at Hyunnie-oppa’s laptop Skyping our parents, seeing as it was an incredibly important occasion for him. Neither Mother nor Father were coming home in time for his last paper, which would be next Friday, so we were Skyping them to inform them of any news.

“Mummy, I’ve got to go, Youngjae’s coming over in 5,” Hyunnie-oppa looked at his watch. “He needs help for one of the topics.”

My face turned pale as I heard his name being mentioned. I’d completely forgotten to ask Meatbun-oppa about how the paper went! Great girlfriend I was indeed.

“At least you’re helping him and not the other way around this time,” Father guffawed.

“You , Daddy,” Hyunnie-oppa stuck his tongue out childishly at Father before waving to both of them. I gave a little wave too and they both disconnected.

Just in time too, as we heard the doorbell ring.

“I’ll bring him up!” I said quickly, jumping off his bed.

“You stay here and get ready,” I added before he could object. Shrugging, he motioned for me to go before digging around his room for his books.

I dashed down the stairs two steps at a time. Just as I reached the second floor, I saw him ascend the stairs.

I barrelled into him with my arms wide, ignoring the tiny ‘oof’ he emitted as we made contact.

“I’ve missed you,” I mumbled into his school shirt as his arms automatically went around my torso. “How was the paper?”

“Missed you too, stupid panda girl,” he laughed, hugging me tightly. “It was quite manageable. A lot of the questions inside were in the past year papers. I’m hoping I’ll do okay.”

“That’s great! You’ll do wonderfully, since you’re so annoyingly smart.”

“Yes I am,” he struck a victory pose before scratching his chin. “But I’m the one who needs help today, hm…”

“You better go now then!” I stepped aside. "Or else you might screw up..."

“Yeah, I'll be going. Love you,” he pecked my cheek as he walked past me.

I blushed brightly and he winked, the tips of his ears tinged red. Waving madly, he rushed up the stairs and into Hyunnie-oppa’s room.

Just then, my phone buzzed. I frowned and checked the message.

With a deep sigh, I headed to the front door and pulled out my trainers.

Life was going to very, very soon.

---

G-Dragon’s voice screamed in my ears as my feet pounded rhythmically against the pavement. The cool evening breeze swept my hair back from my face as beads of sweat trickled from my temple to my neck. My arms pumped up and down as I jogged down the path, providing momentum for my movement.

“Oh my god Eunhye, how much longer must I suffer?” My best friend cried from far behind me, barely audible above the bass drops of Big Bang’s new song.

I turned back, chuckling inwardly at Dari flailing her arms, trying her darnedest to catch up. Poor girl looked like she was about to pass out, her bangs plastered to her forehead.

“I’m already at my lowest speed Riri,” I yelled back, slowing down even more to a fast walk. “You really have to improve your stamina!”

“I feel like concentrated death,” she whined, elephant-stomping, yet still lagging rather far behind. “My muscles are slowly atrophying due to overwork.”

“Pabo, muscles can’t atrophy if you use them,” I rolled my eyes, squatting to adjust my shoelaces and to give her some time to catch up.

With a heaving pant, she caught up to me just as I re-double-knotted my right shoelace.

“You know, when you said you were going to run to clear your head,” she wheezed heavily, “I didn’t think you were going to drag me along….”

I took a long swig from my bottle and capped it before throwing it at her. She missed.

Junhong would never have missed.

Memories of that moonlit night flashed in my mind. His lips on mine, the calloused fingertip grazing my chin, the thunderous heartbeats echoing in my ears as we…

I felt the tears gather again.

If I was in love with Himchan-oppa, why would I react in that manner?

And if I really did have feelings for Junhong, why was I so scared to say yes?

We’d been friends since kindergarten, when we first met at the sandbox on the last day of the first week of school. He’d pulled my hair and said I was a weirdo, and when I punched him right on the nose, he started bawling. The very next day, he’d brought me a squished chocolate cupcake and a handwritten apology letter.

I chuckled at the memory of fetus Junhong (hee hee). Times were simpler then.

“Earth to Eunhye,” Dari’s voice interrupted my nostalgia. “You’ve been zoning out for the past few minutes.”

I shook my head and smiled, but my eyes filled with stupid tears. Dari looked at me sympathetically, opening her arms wide for a hug. Without hesitation, I burrowed my face into her thin shoulder, crying openly.

“I learn kickboxing and Muay Thai,” I snivelled, eyes squeezed shut. “I’ve run 50km marathons and participated in 20km triathlons. And yet, I’m defeated by stupid men.”

“Hey,” Dari’s soothing voice sounded in my ear. “Men are pigs.”

I let out a guffaw.

“They are,” I nodded my head, the tears having stopped flowing.

Junhong’s face came to mind. His laugh, his absurd love for that skateboard of his, that stupid grin when he saw things that made him “squee”…

Somehow I wanted to be part of his life; I wanted to know every little detail. What his favourite colour was (green), his favourite food (kimchi), what he wanted to do with his life (he enjoyed music & art but his dad wanted him to take over the company), what he was thinking of at that moment, what he enjoyed the most (most probably shoujo manga)… I knew all of these, yet I wanted to know more. Being with Junhong made me so much happier.

Was that just friendship?

With Himchan-oppa I felt so breathless and on tenterhooks, this innate feeling of wanting to impress him. Not to mention, his beauty was beyond compare with anyone. He had long lashes framing his dark, smouldering eyes and a chin so sharp it could cut steel. He was so talented with clothing too! How could anyone not like him?

Just seeing Junhong’s face brightened my day, yet I didn’t feel the butterflies that Himchan-oppa made me feel.

“If I really loved Zelo,” I sighed deeply as the both of us made our way to a park bench. “Why don’t I feel butterflies? Himchan-oppa makes me feel so…. Excited and fluttery, yet with Zelo I just feel like I’m me…”

“Hmm…” Dari rubbed her chin wisely. “Okay! Let’s have a scenario. Close your eyes.”

I closed them expectantly.

“Heh, the book Zelo gave me really is working wonders!” she chortled gleefully. “Anyway imagine yourself 10 years from now, dreaming in your bed. There's someone next to you."

My eyes snapped open.

“It’s… I have to go,” I scrambled off the seat and jogging off.

Dari’s protests went unheard.

---

He mouthed along listlessly as Linkin Park roared through his earphones from his iPod, the lyrics moulding exactly to the wounds his best friend had welded into his heart.

He was tucked away in his childhood treehouse, but it was saturated with the scent of her.

Their pictures were clipped to old cotton twines strung about the ceiling by clothespins. Her huge beanbag bear occupied the corner of the room, sitting forlornly by itself without its owner lying on top of it, groaning about the latest celebrity news. Piles of trashy gossip magazines littered the floor, beside piles of equally-as-trashy shoujo manga novels.

Her favourite spicy chips were stacked in the cupboard while the refrigerator held her most-loved isotonic drinks. In the corner of the room, her running shoes were piled haphazardly on top of his.

He remembered the days they’d go running together. Or rather, she would run while he would skate beside her, cheering her on.

He sighed, cranking the volume even louder.

One day you’ll have to accept it, an annoying voice whined in my head. Do you really want to lose her as a friend?

“Of course I don’t,” he sighed sadly, turning over in his bed. “She’s more important than my feelings, but it hurts dammit.”

He heard faint shouting and a huge thump.

“!”

Sitting up in surprise, he saw her crawling in from the window, wincing and rubbing her head.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, flabbergasted, his earphones having fallen from his ears. He’d taken up the ladder so people wouldn’t annoy him in his moping state.

“I climbed the tree cos there wasn’t a ladder,” she answered simply, still rubbing the back of her head. “Hit my head on the window frame though. I’ve got to say something to you.”

She moved to sit in front of him on the bed.

Here it comes

“Junhong, I-”

“Before you start, I have something to say,” he sighed, before looking into her eyes with determination. “I treasure our friendship a lot, and I know it may be awkward now, but I don’t want things between us to change.”

“But Junhong,” she started but he shushed her gently.

“I love you, but I love you even more so as an important and dear friend.”

“Just let me-”

“No Eunhye, let me finish. I won’t let my feelings get in the way of our friendship because I don’t want to lose you. You are worth so much more to me than I can ever express, and I-”

“GODDAMMIT JUNHONG, SHUT UP AND KISS ME!” she growled and lunged, their lips making contact.

The force of her jump pushed him to the bed as her lips pressed against his.

His heart galloped like a horse as her hands held his face to hers. She tasted of mint chapstick and salt. He wrapped his arms around her, fingers tangled in her hair. It felt as if time had slowed down to a standstill as fireworks burst in his head.

Holyingshe’sactuallykissingmewhat

“You taste salty,” was his ever-intelligent response as they parted.

She let out an undignified snort.

“That’s just like you,” she chortled, “to say something so stupid at such an important moment.”

“I went for a jog with Dari,” she explained further, sitting on his abdomen.

“I see.”

An awkward pause ensued, further enhanced by the crickets chirping in the gardens below.

“Does this mean…” he started unsurely.

“Yes, you idiot,” she laughed and poked his nose. “I love you.”

And it felt as if the sun had risen on his despondent mood, calling all who were weary to bask in its glory, though it was nearly 10pm and the stars were twinkling merrily outside.

“I love you too,” he smiled brightly, hand caressing her cheek. “I’ve loved you for the longest time… Ever since the day you’d punched me in the face, I knew you were the one for me.”

“Since then?” she asked, mouth agape in mock shock. “I was a kid!”

“I love you,” he smiled goofily. “I love you so much.”

He noted that her eyes were twinkling brighter than the stars as he leaned in for another kiss, to which she happily complied.

:) I like writing Zelo and Eunhye heehee they're cute. Sigh guys my common tests just ended and I did really badly ohnoes but I hope there is a chance for me still to get into vet school! I want to be a vet!!!!!!! I actually finished writing this chapter ages ago but I wanted to finish writing the next chapter first before I posted it. 

I'm also thinking of posting another fic, but it's a fic about BTS! I really like it, but what do you guys think? I'll post a snippet of it:

As I swaggered through the hallways, bag on one shoulder, the students cowered into their lockers, praying frantically to whatever god they believed in that they wouldn’t be my next target. My eyes landed on a somewhat tall kid to the left of my peripheral vision. He seemed like a new kid, and new kids are always the most fun to play with.

This kid was practically shoving himself into his locker, trying to avoid eye contact with me. His legs were visibly shaking. In fact, his whole body was shaking, causing his locker to vibrate like a cellphone. How cute.

I took deliberately slow steps towards his frame, relishing in the fact that he shook harder and harder with every echoed footstep.

“Hey,” I whispered sweetly, though loud enough for the entire hallway to hear.

His body stiffened. His breathing stopped. The hallway is silent, all eyes trained on me.

“You’re not doing it properly,” I breathed right into his ear, trailing my index finger down his neck to the small of his back before resting there.

He shivered at the contact of my cool finger.

I smirked, and gave a rough push. The kid tumbled into the locker, a strangled cry squeezing its way out of his throat as he smacked against the hard metal inside with a loud bang. He pushed himself out before falling onto the ground, tears quietly gathering in his eyes as he held onto his stomach, grimacing.

What a weakling, I scoffed just as one of my acquaintances, Mirae announced her arrival.

“Hosookie!” she called, slinging her arm over my shoulder as she stared down at the boy. “What’re you doing?”

“Just getting to know a new friend,” I smiled brightly at her before squatting to look at him.

He was actually kinda cute, in the kicked puppy way. His eyes were big and expressive, though the only emotion I could see at that moment was anger.

“What’s your name?” I asked nicely, patting him on the shoulder roughly.

He winced and shrugged me off before trying to crawl away. A well-placed foot on his fingers stopped that from happening.

“I said, what’s your name?” I asked again, beaming as I stood up, grinding my sneaker into his hand.

“Jun… Jungkook…” he squeaked out in pain, struggling futilely.

“Ah… Nice to meet you Jungkookie!” I released the pressure on his hand. “I hope we can be friends!”

He recoiled his arm quickly and hugged his hand to his chest, glaring at me hatefully as Mirae giggled.

“The cutie wants to bite you,” she patted him on his head as I laughed.

“I’d like to see him try,” I grabbed his pretty face with my fingers, examining every inch before raising my left hand, slapping him across the cheek. The resounding smack echoed loudly, a large red welt immediately forming on the side of his face.

What do you guys think? I know you're gonna HATE this girl but honestly I love writing her she's so fun!!!! If you're interested, I should be posting it this or next //year// LOL I want to finish writing it first before I post it!

Thanks for all the love so far and the 30 subscribers, I really love you all and I hope you're enjoying this story!

-Peanut

PS: you guys r the best xoxo